New World - Amazon's MMO

BurntOrange&White

I'm enjoying it, but I haven't done any PvP yet.  The quests are very repetitive, but I really like the harvesting and crafting system. 

The queues were bad on day one, but they cleaned that up pretty quickly. Today's patch looks like it will take care of most of the bugs that were bothering me. 

12 hours ago, MillerEP said:

I bought the game, but haven't even tried it yet, is it worth it? I keep seeing videos like this, which makes me weary:

Guy mentioned bots in his video being an issue. How do boys work in a game like this, and what is their purpose?  I’ve heard of bots on Hearthstone, but I’m not sure what the point would be. I understood what bots were for in MTGO for card trading selling purposes since real cash could get involved, so it was just a market place. 

Bots are pretty prevalent in most MMOs. Usually, it is Chinese firms who setup a chain of player characters in a single party with random names like "kghv." They'll find a spot where the NPC enemies spawn pretty fast with decentish loot. They then program a set of macros, which basically just spam the auto-target (TAB) button and then one or two skills to AOE down the mobs as a party. They then set the macros to run and walk away. Those bots then just keep spam killing everything that spawns, which allows them to gain money and loot. When the bots inventories are full, they sell everything, and send all the money they made to a few mule accounts whose sole job is to horde money, then they go back out and do it again. They then setup a webpage to sell the in-game gold for real cash. You go to MMOgold.com or whatever, pick how much gold you want, then plug in your card and character name and server, and then when the money clears they have the mule account on that server mail you or meet up and hand you the gold. 

Edited by MillerEP

10 hours ago, MillerEP said:

They then setup a webpage to sell the in-game gold for real cash. You go to MMOgold.com or whatever, pick how much gold you want, then plug in your card and character name and server, and then when the money clears they have the mule account on that server mail you or meet up and hand you the gold. 

So I went and looked, and https://www.uotreasures.com and a few other such sites are still going strong after almost 20 years.

And 10 million gold in UO is $4.  I feel old.

On 11/4/2021 at 10:56 AM, MillerEP said:

I bought the game, but haven't even tried it yet, is it worth it? I keep seeing videos like this, which makes me weary:

From what I’ve seen it’s been a fairly clean release for a MMO of its size and player base. Seems like the devs actually care and want to make it great. It’s a good game to casually play and stuff when you’re bored for the crafting systems alone. Good way to make gold is the crafting as well. 

I’m level 38 and started toggling the pvp on, shitting on level 40-50ish played already. Level 60 players are tough though. 

19 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

From what I’ve seen it’s been a fairly clean release for a MMO of its size and player base. Seems like the devs actually care and want to make it great. It’s a good game to casually play and stuff when you’re bored for the crafting systems alone. Good way to make gold is the crafting as well.

My gut, based on knowing plenty of devs who worked on MMOs here in Austin and elsewhere, is that the devs probably had a lot more resources and post-release time to get it right - since it's solely an Amazon studio product (and a flagship one at that), and a part of a long game by Amazon, it's probably about getting it right in the long run and they have some breathing room.

A lot of MMOs have a much shorter amount of time for development and have a lot less time post-release time to hit certain goalposts.

If you watch the video I posted about midway through he talks about how the laid off most of the devs except for a handful and now that it's out they have a massive hiring spree to try and get some back. He also mentions there is some bad code in there so they're not properly doing CI/CD, because everytime a patch goes out they unintentionally break completely unrelated things.

23 hours ago, MillerEP said:

If you watch the video I posted about midway through he talks about how the laid off most of the devs except for a handful and now that it's out they have a massive hiring spree to try and get some back. He also mentions there is some bad code in there so they're not properly doing CI/CD, because everytime a patch goes out they unintentionally break completely unrelated things.

They canceled another project and brought in some of those devs in the middle of New World.

But still, sounds like they've got more breathing room than a lot of other games.

I'm playing. Upon release was really into it, then just so so... took a week or two off and now back into it again. If you play to enjoy and not worry about leveling up quickly its been great.  Focus on leveling and can feel grindy/repetitive pretty quick.  I'm excited to see where they take it after this initial bug/fix push.