Mass casualty event Astroworldfest. Multiple dead. Hundreds injured

FartingMonk

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

What does suck is since 2015 at his concerts Travis Scott encourages people to rush the stage. Just google his name and rush the stage and you can find any number of articles from 2015, 2017 and 2019 where he encourages this behavior from the crowd. 

Billy Joel used to encourage fans up to the front of the stage, can’t do it now as too many walkers, power chairs get in the way.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

“Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said over 360 police officers and 241 security officers were stationed at the event Friday.

Pena and Finner said many questions remain and an investigation into the mass fatality event is ongoing.

“Nobody could have dreamed of this, but we’re here. I think it’s very important that none of us speculate. Nobody has the answers tonight,“ Finner said. “I want to thank Live Nation. I want to thank NRG, HFD, our frontline police officers. Nobody has had the opportunity to review any video. And Live Nation has told us that they will allow us to review the video. I want to say this because there’s a lot of rumors going around and if you don’t have the facts, you don’t have the evidence, I’m not going to speak against that. We have hurting families out here.”

For what, exactly? At least 8 people died at a concert and the police chief is thanking the concert promoter? Did he think he was giving an award acceptance speech?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hate said:

My son is a Travis Scott fan and has been wanting to go to Astroworld.  He's 13 so there is no chance I'm letting hi go yet, but I'll have to use this as a teachable moment about what can happen if you go to a Travis Scott show.  Maybe he'll rethink it. 

And he's going to be thinking "plenty of other dads would have used this as a teachable moment to show how knowledge of group psychology can turn a Travis Scott concert into a 1979 Who concert."

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Should’ve canceled the event once those people blitzed the VIP entrance. That should’ve been the warning sign they needed that this thing had the potential to get out of control.

Cancelling seems unrealistic for many reasons, one of which is you have a huge crowd that already broke contain and is now pissed off.

2 minutes ago, Player said:

Not sure if it involved the same security personnel, but there was another crowd that got out of control just a couple of weeks ago at NRG arena after a concert was cancelled.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/10/24/concertgoers-create-chaotic-scene-at-nrg-arena-after-rapper-playboi-carti-cancels-houston-show/

NRG Park released the following statement in regards to the incident:

“Last night in the interest of public safety and on the advice from the Houston Police Department, the Playboi Carti concert scheduled for NRG Arena was canceled. The safety of all guests, staff, and artists is our highest priority.

Yeah, about that..

4 minutes ago, Player said:

Not sure if it involved the same security personnel, but there was another crowd that got out of control just a couple of weeks ago at NRG arena after a concert was cancelled.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/10/24/concertgoers-create-chaotic-scene-at-nrg-arena-after-rapper-playboi-carti-cancels-houston-show/

I was once arrested after a Vanilla Ice concert at Bob Popular was cancelled, so this hits close to home.

• Haha 4

It’s pretty fucking obvious that people were trampled to death. But the cops, promoters and the venue are saying they don’t know what happened. Add in a “source” claiming someone was injecting people with drugs causing cardiac arrest. People went into cardiac arrest from being crushed. Do they need to see people pressed up against a metal cage like in Hillsborough to admit people were trampled? 

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Some really old and out of touch people in here. He’s got 43 million instagram followers and is easily in the top 100 of most famous musicians in the world right now. 

The comments about "a Travis Scott concert" miss that it was a festival. With some of the top artists for this demographic (teenagers and 20-somethings who love to party). Bad Bunny was on the lineup, who I'd argue is just as famous as Travis. Lil Baby. 21 Savage. Tame Impala. With rumors (as always) of Drake showing up. This was a crazy event in the first place, and unfortunately catered to a crazy group of young folks at a crazy age. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBig said:

It’s pretty fucking obvious that people were trampled to death. But the cops, promoters and the venue are saying they don’t know what happened. Add in a “source” claiming someone was injecting people with drugs causing cardiac arrest. People went into cardiac arrest from being crushed. Do they need to see people pressed up against a metal cage like in Hillsborough to admit people were trampled? 

Exactly. people don’t understand stampedes or crowds at all. Like they can’t conceive of having thousands of people pressing forward when those in front have nowhere to go. It’s not hard to understand.

Rolling stone interviewed a nurse who was in attendance and she said she started to feel the pressure in her chest from being pushed and crushed forward. She went unconscious and was crowd surfed to an area. Once she regained consciousness she began helping those others that were being worked on. 

Also, important to mention while TMZ has had more credible reporting of late, they are a HUGE Kardashian Klan Stan. Momma Kris uses them all the time to get info out. So I would take the injections in the crowd rumor with a serious grain of salt as it somehow seeks to take some blame away for a situation in which there will be a lot of blame to go around. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This is where the HFD chief was talking about rumors but here you go. Very scary if true:

7:30 AM PT -- A source connected to Astroworld tells TMZ, someone in the crowd went crazy and began injecting people with some sort of drug, which caused panic and then a surge. The source says authorities are trying to determine if those who went into cardiac arrest were the ones injected. We're told one of those who died is a 10-year-old. The source says it appears to be a targeted attack. We have not confirmed this report, but the source is a key person involved in the festival.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/11/06/travis-scott-astroworld-concert-stampede-dead-drake/

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Some really old and out of touch people in here. He’s got 43 million instagram followers and is easily in the top 100 of most famous musicians in the world right now. 

20 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

The comments about "a Travis Scott concert" miss that it was a festival. With some of the top artists for this demographic (teenagers and 20-somethings who love to party). Bad Bunny was on the lineup, who I'd argue is just as famous as Travis. Lil Baby. 21 Savage. Tame Impala. With rumors (as always) of Drake showing up. This was a crazy event in the first place, and unfortunately catered to a crazy group of young folks at a crazy age. 

While I was aware of Travis Scott, I'm an old, so I couldn't tell you anything about him other than he was a successful rapper and was fucking one of the Kardashian skanks. But it appears he was quite the hustler with endorsements with Nike, McDonalds, Epic games (Fortnight), General Mills, as well as a Hollywood production company, etc... 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/abrambrown/2020/11/30/how-hip-hop-superstar-travis-scott-has-become-corporate-americas-brand-whisperer/?sh=670f43b874e7 

As for him just being another one of the performers in the lineup, I'm not sure that’s entirely accurate, as one of the articles I read on this situation implied it was his promotion. Live Nation was obviously putting it on, but based on that Forbes article, it wouldn’t surprise me if he had financial interests beyond just performing. He's got deep pockets for sure, so as with most tragedies, the only "winners" in this mess will be the lawyers ( those suing him as well as those defending him).

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

While I was aware of Travis Scott, I'm an old, so I couldn't tell you anything about him other than he was a successful rapper and was fucking one of the Kardashian skanks. But it appears he was quite the hustler with endorsements with Nike, McDonalds, Epic games (Fortnight), General Mills, as well as a Hollywood production company, etc... 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/abrambrown/2020/11/30/how-hip-hop-superstar-travis-scott-has-become-corporate-americas-brand-whisperer/?sh=670f43b874e7 

As for him just being another one of the performers in the lineup, I'm not sure that’s entirely accurate, as one of the articles I read on this situation implied it was his promotion. Live Nation was obviously putting it on, but based on that Forbes article, it wouldn’t surprise me if he had financial interests beyond just performing. He's got deep pockets for sure, so as with most tragedies, the only "winners" in this mess will be the lawyers ( those suing him as well as those defending him).

Can’t believe this guy went to UTSA.

1 minute ago, tchookem said:
2 hours ago, FOXHOUND said:

All of that for a fucking Travis Scott concert? Really? 
My former co-worker's three daughters went to this event, I'm worried about them. 

I have a couple student's (8th graders) that said they were going (with parents). Joe they're okay.

Joe is going to be so relieved.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Mostly it’s just TMZ saying Scott paused the concert. Literally everything else I have seen suggests multiple people begged multiple times for the music/concert to stop particularly when ambulances were tacking through the crowd. Too many eye witness videos. One even from Kylie Jenner which showed ambulances with lights and sirens trying to get to the injured and concert is on full swing. 

29 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Also, important to mention while TMZ has had more credible reporting of late, they are a HUGE Kardashian Klan Stan. Momma Kris uses them all the time to get info out. So I would take the injections in the crowd rumor with a serious grain of salt as it somehow seeks to take some blame away for a situation in which there will be a lot of blame to go around. 

This is terrible damage control by TMZ. It couldn’t be a stampede because a victim was foaming at the mouth. WTF

As for the investigation ... our sources tell us at least one of the victims was seen foaming at the mouth before going into cardiac arrest -- further evidence this was not simply a stampede. Houston authorities are planning to hold a news conference later today.

• Hook 'Em 1