Act person you thought would make it big but didn’t

closetohumping

Yeah Michael B. Jordan and Idris Elba are definitely the top 2.  Michael K. Williams, Wood Harris, and Lance Riddick are probably in the next tier, but pretty slim pickings after that.  Makes the show even more impressive, IMO.  And I'm eager to get into some of the later seasons as I've heard they're phenomenal.

Snoop FTW.

17 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Was great in Hell or High Water, and his his portrayal of Matt Axleson in Lone Survivor was the best of the 4 SeALs...

also fantastic in The Messenger...and i had forgotten until a recent rewatch that he was skeevy constantly-needing-a-hairwash Russell in SFU 😄

On 12/13/2021 at 11:27 AM, F250 said:

Saw her on one of the Walking Dead shows. I didn't recognize her at first but after wondering why I was attracted to this grandma it clicked. She was an old 90's crush.

Julia-Ormond-TWDWB.jpg

Don Draper's mother-in-law was hotter than his wife. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/6/2021 at 12:05 PM, mchookem said:

i'm still waiting on Taylor Kitsch to take off 😛

the Jared Leto and Ethan Hawke WTFs...one has an oscar and the other has been nominated for several. i don't think this thread means what the OP thinks it means. 

Taylor’s star burned bright but what has he done lately?

also where is Justin long?  Dude was on a rocket ship to fame 

On 1/20/2022 at 5:29 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

File this one under “made it big, but in a totally different direction than I expected.”

First of all, I submit to the jury that a Rocketeer-era Jennifer Connelly was the most perfect of God’s creations to ever grace Hollywood’s silver screen:

image.thumb.jpeg.8304791200e621df63c0e198a61bdfe8.jpeg

I thought for sure that she would become a Bond Girl/bombshell/top of the poster type Hollywood star, always the sexiest woman alive and in that role.

Aside from a terrible movie about Target and Mulholland Falls that didn’t happen. She was a great junkie and became a really amazing, serious actress who played roles where she was always beautiful, but that was never the main focus like A Beautiful Mind, or even was BETRAYED in favor of Scarlett J. in some shit rom-com.  Which could never have happened to Rocketeer Jennifer Connelly. 

what the goddamn fuck did you just say?

• Haha 2

From Dazed and Confused

Wiley Wiggins. Linklater said he thought he was going to be the one that might be a superstar. I never saw that; thought he was the weak part of the movie.

Jason London. Pink flamed out fast.

Michelle Burke. I thought she was the hot chick of the movie and thought she’d do a lot of stuff. Nope.

On 1/25/2022 at 10:38 PM, Frank Erwin said:

I love that shot and it shows why he should have more accolades.  His performance stole the show in a great cast of characters.  ps- great retort, YChang!

FWIW, that's not Brian Cox.

Speaking of whom, his turn as the Marquess of Montrose's odiously greasy factor Killearn in Rob Roy is always worth a watch. Same for John Hurt as the Marquess himself.

Repped for Danny Huston. He's wonderful in The Constant Gardener.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

From Dazed and Confused

Wiley Wiggins. Linklater said he thought he was going to be the one that might be a superstar. I never saw that; thought he was the weak part of the movie.

Jason London. Pink flamed out fast.

Michelle Burke. I thought she was the hot chick of the movie and thought she’d do a lot of stuff. Nope.

Pink had no talent bro and wasn’t exactly good looking.  Forgot his name but the guy that got beat up by Nikki katt was in saving private Ryan 

On 1/24/2022 at 1:41 PM, Cheeseweasel said:

tumblr_mail5yvJcB1qjotexo1_1280.jpg

Surprised non of the Kids in The Hall made it. 

Dave Foley has probably been the most successful with some bit roles in various sitcoms and was awesome in News Radio. 

Kevin McDonald as Denim Jacket in the Seinfeld Festivus episode.

That's about it.

Kevin McDonald is terrible. If you re-watch any skit or role he's in, his delivery is always transparent and hamfisted. As an actor/comedian, he's the worst. It's a testament to his personality and the general strength of TKitH that he still gets work.

Plus, he led Dave Foley down the dark and deceitful path of being a girl drink drunk.

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Kevin McDonald is terrible. If you re-watch any skit or role he's in, his delivery is always transparent and hamfisted. As an actor/comedian, he's the worst. It's a testament to his personality and the general strength of TKitH that he still gets work.

Plus, he led Dave Foley down the dark and deceitful path of being a girl drink drunk.

Zack Braflin?  Another star that burned out quickly 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

If only he could've avoided the tragic auto accident that nearly cost me my life...

Spoiler

I was an international race car driver. One day, a baby carriage rolled out onto the track, so I swerved into the retaining wall to avoid it. The car burst into flames, but the baby miraculously survived ... I was that baby!

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 2:41 PM, Cheeseweasel said:

tumblr_mail5yvJcB1qjotexo1_1280.jpg

Surprised non of the Kids in The Hall made it. 

Dave Foley has probably been the most successful with some bit roles in various sitcoms and was awesome in News Radio. 

Kevin McDonald as Denim Jacket in the Seinfeld Festivus episode.

That's about it.

Mark McKinney had a six season run as Glenn in Superstore. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Wasn’t Mark or Scott a bit player SNL briefly?

I agree. Loved the show in college and surprised they didn’t make it bigger but maybe not.  As outlandish as the show was, they weren’t particularly good actors and KITH wasn’t big enough that they’d just get hired based on their fame. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Wasn’t Mark or Scott a bit player SNL briefly?

I agree. Loved the show in college and surprised they didn’t make it bigger but maybe not.  As outlandish as the show was, they weren’t particularly good actors and KITH wasn’t big enough that they’d just get hired based on their fame. 

Kevin McDonalds character in Senior Trip was hysterical. I love that movie. 

On 3/26/2022 at 8:26 PM, closetohumping said:

also where is Justin long?  Dude was on a rocket ship to fame 

On 3/26/2022 at 10:34 PM, closetohumping said:

Both were good at playing awkward and nerdy, coming of age, forever trying to find themselves 20-somethings.  Have either ever proven they can play anything else now that they're in their 40's?

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

Both were good at playing awkward and nerdy, coming of age, forever trying to find themselves 20-somethings.  Have either ever proven they can play anything else now that they're in their 40's?

they just need to find a dramatic doctor show

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Pretty sure Braff has gotten way more into directing than acting. Not sure what Justin Long is up to.