TCU @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

On 5/19/2018 at 10:05 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I'm anxious to see what a team comprised of mostly his recruits can do, but remain worried about the pitching coach situation.The in-game interviews with Kingham and Shugart and others seem to indicate that he's pretty well-liked, which frankly was kind of hard to tell. He's pretty stone-faced in the dugout and last year's batch didn't seem to like him or something about him very much.  Not sure what you might expect from player interviews, but they seem to hold him and Garrido in fairly equal esteem.

I don't know enough about the pitching coach to have an opinion but Pierce has generally had really good pitching. I think the struggles this year from a pitching perspective have a lot to do with the roster turnover from last year. Losing Cooper, Johnston, Kennedy, Schimpf, and Mayes was a lot to replace. When you lose 3 starters from a top 10 pitching staff, that's a lot to overcome. 

I'm not sure I would blame all these pitching issues on the pitching coach because I'm going to guess Pierce is heavily involved. 

Team ERA finishes for Pierce in 6 years as a head coach. 
9th (Texas), 24th (Tulane), 34th(Tulane) , 17th (SHSU), 68th (SHSU), 40th (SHSU). 

Team ERA finishes for Pierce in 6 years as the pitching coach at Rice. 
4th, 10th, 16th, 4th, 28th, 24th. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

Other than two of the Rice seasons I’m not sure that’s our standard. 10th might be acceptable too. Last year was as much Skip’s left over influence as Pierce’s. Otherwise his HC finishes aren’t that impressive.

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Other than two of the Rice seasons I’m not sure that’s our standard. 10th might be acceptable too. Last year was as much Skip’s left over influence as Pierce’s. Otherwise his HC finishes aren’t that impressive.

You’re fucking crazy. 17th at Sam is probably the most impressive of all. 

11 minutes ago, troph said:

Does Rice recruit the same level of pitching talent we do?

33 minutes ago, troph said:

We finished 91st in team ERA in Skip's final year. Skip certainly deserves credit for the recruiting job he did but we improved significantly in year 1 under Pierce. Went from 91st to 9th in team ERA. 

You don't think it's impressive that Pierce has produced a top 40 staff in 11/12 years as a coach at schools like SHSU and Tulane? When he's had elite talent like at Texas and Rice he's pretty much produced nothing but top 25 pitching staffs (really the only outlier is this year). 

"Not our standard".....I guess we will find out but if those pitching numbers don't impress you it's a tough crowd to please. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I think our pitching suffered so much this year because our recruiting at pitcher was so bad last year.  A lot of that is due to a transition class.  I honestly don't project any of the freshman pitchers to be Friday or saturday starters.  I think Bocchi, Elder and Fields could turn into solid Sunday or midweek starters though.  The rest seem like career bullpen guys.

So we lost a bunch of good pitchers off last year's team, didn't have a lot returning and then failed to bring in much in regards to replacements.  Again not necessarily of Pierce because of transition class.  I don't follow baseball recruitikng much butg it's my understand that this year's recruiting class is much better on the mound.

Also, to put those pitching numbers in perspective these were the team ERA ranks the year prior to Pierce. 

Texas 91st (from 91st to 9th in team ERA in 1 year under Pierce)

Tulane 72nd (from 72nd to 34th in team ERA in 1 year under Pierce)

SHSU 53rd  (from 53rd to 40th in team ERA in 1 year under Pierce) 

That is a good pitching coach. 

Edited by texasstrong12

9 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

If you have a top 30 staff, you’re just fine. 

A top 30 staff with the way hit this year = a lot of wins. A lot of wins. If we were the #30 staff in team ERA this year we are likely a national seed. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Guest Lobo

^ good point.  With 7 straight NCAA regional appearances to boot (and this'll be his first time hosting as a HC).  Obviously SHSU and Tulane aren't in the same galaxy as UT/Big XII...but he's got a fine track record thus far.  While he's 55, he's hungrier than most coaches his age given how long it took him to get the helm at a major program.  We've yet to see how his recruiting truly shakes out at this level, but I do know the first weekend of June is gonna be damn fun for baseball fanatics here in Austin.  

You’re fucking crazy. 17th at Sam is probably the most impressive of all. 

Fair enough.

Still see mixed results at best.

Doesn’t mean he won’t do just fine here and if that’s not clear read my other posts.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

^ good point.  With 7 straight NCAA regional appearances to boot (and this'll be his first time hosting as a HC).  Obviously SHSU and Tulane aren't in the same galaxy as UT/Big XII...but he's got a fine track record thus far.  While he's 55, he's hungrier than most coaches his age given how long it took him to get the helm at a major program.  We've yet to see how his recruiting truly shakes out at this level, but I do know the first weekend of June is gonna be damn fun for baseball fanatics here in Austin.  

Tulane hasn't been that good lately, but they were the #1 overall seed the last time we won the CWS (2005).  Kyle McCullough shut them out in game 2, IIRC.

37 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Tulane hasn't been that good lately, but they were the #1 overall seed the last time we won the CWS (2005).  Kyle McCullough shut them out in game 2, IIRC.

Please don’t tell me we are giving Pierce credit now for the Tulane CWS appearance.

Pierce has done a great job getting this team to where it is. But, as several have said on here, Big 12 trophies don’t mean much. They are stored in a shed in Georgetown. 

Lets get to the CWS, and win games there, then we can start sucking the guys dick.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

32 minutes ago, Austin Orange said:

Pierce has done a great job getting this team to where it is. But, as several have said on here, Big 12 trophies don’t mean much. They are stored in a shed in Georgetown. 

Conference Championships mean a ton. We have banners on our park for them.

21 minutes ago, petscii said:

But, he's not wrong.

Going to have to disagree with you there. A major goal of any regular season is to win the conference.

You guys are just crapping on it because Texas just won one. But the players celebrated like mad, the University is celebrating it, and it had been seven years.

Please produce evidence that Texas does not consider winning the conference title very meaningful. I have tons of actual evidence to support my position while you have nothing. I mean if it is your opinion...fine. But that is all it is and it is not a particularly compelling opinion and not one shared by the team or the University.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 9

Pierce deserves a ton of credit this year.  We are much better right now than I thought we'd be a few months ago, our shaky pitching situation notwithstanding.  Winning the conference is a big deal for this team, the program, hell even the whole AD.  Texas athletics has been so shitty for so long, I'll take as many conferences titles as I can. 

Where I think he deserves the most praise is making us smarter and more aggressive at the plate and on the bases.  Also, this team has some serious moxie/no quit to it and ultimately that has to be a reflection of the coaching staff.

Still, the pitching situation is a concern.  Guess we'll see what happens in the post season and next year.   

• Like 2

Guest Lobo

^

precisely.  This is not at all, on the face of it, a typical UT pitching staff that can carry us deep in Omaha.  However, other than a handful of early/truly gifted Augie teams that could just rake for average and power (away from DFF), this is also not a typical UT team that gets deep and relies on capitalizing on the few at-bats where they don't strikeout/pop-out.  With better than average baserunning, fielding, and emerging bullpen help...it's not a typically built deep-run UT team of the last 20 years by an stretch.  But it is built and it is evolving.  We're not manufacturing runs as elegantly as we used to, but we're also not a top-heavy lineup with double-digit strikeouts and double-digit popups built into our lineup card each night either.  

If this momentum can sustain through OKC, I like our chances at a Super.  I know our goal is Omaha every year.  But munchkin-steps.

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Pierce deserves a ton of credit this year.  We are much better right now than I thought we'd be a few months ago, our shaky pitching situation notwithstanding.  Winning the conference is a big deal for this team, the program, hell even the whole AD.  Texas athletics has been so shitty for so long, I'll take as many conferences titles as I can.

This. I don't even follow baseball and I'm excited.

I said earlier in this thread that I am totally satisfied with what DP has accomplished this year.  I'm not crapping over anything.  Being proud of losing to Stanford and Arkansas RPI wise is fine, we probably should have taken 2-3 from LSU given how terribad they've turned out to be.  We are four or five more wins earlier in the season from being fucking awesome.  

Let's see how he does in the regional/super regional before tugging at his zip.  Espesically if he goes oh two and bbq at either of them you'll be here calling for his ass to be fired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Conference Championships mean a ton. We have banners on our park for them.

Going to have to disagree with you there. A major goal of any regular season is to win the conference.

You guys are just crapping on it because Texas just won one. But the players celebrated like mad, the University is celebrating it, and it had been seven years.

Please produce evidence that Texas does not consider winning the conference title very meaningful. I have tons of actual evidence to support my position while you have nothing. I mean if it is your opinion...fine. But that is all it is and it is not a particularly compelling opinion and not one shared by the team or the University.

"After taking the job, Del Conte learned there are “three storage sheds in Georgetown” full of Texas trophies and whatnot. He wants that on full display for all to see."

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-ad-chris-del-conte-longhorns-build-10-million-hall-honor-inside-dkr-january/

I'm not sure where the banners are for all the conference championships at the Disch.  Maybe by the hot dog stand?  Unlike other schools, we don't even list how many CWS we have appeared in.  To my knowledge, we only display CWS championships.  

Pierce has done a great job with this team and I was there Saturday celebrating with everyone.  Even have a picture with both DDA and the Yeti girl (from behind no doubt) in the same frame as I was taking pics of the team.  

12 minutes ago, Austin Orange said:

"After taking the job, Del Conte learned there are “three storage sheds in Georgetown” full of Texas trophies and whatnot. He wants that on full display for all to see."

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-ad-chris-del-conte-longhorns-build-10-million-hall-honor-inside-dkr-january/

I'm not sure where the banners are for all the conference championships at the Disch.  Maybe by the hot dog stand?  Unlike other schools, we don't even list how many CWS we have appeared in.  To my knowledge, we only display CWS championships.  

Pierce has done a great job with this team and I was there Saturday celebrating with everyone.  Even have a picture with both DDA and the Yeti girl (from behind no doubt) in the same frame as I was taking pics of the team.  

I'm going to need to see the pictures of Yeti girl for proof.

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

How fitting that 2 days after our first conference title in approximately ever there is an argument raging about whether or not it's time yet to blow Coach Pierce.

I will never blow Coach Pierce bc I don't like dudes.  sorry not sorry.

5 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Pierce has now won the regular season conference championship in 5 of his 7 years as a HC. I’d say he knows what he’s doing.

Gracias.

if anyone isn’t thrilled with Pierce after year 2 then it’s time to go fuck themselves and go watch tee ball.

if we aren’t top 5-10 consistently in ‘20-25 then we can reopen the conversation.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Austin Orange said:

Please don’t tell me we are giving Pierce credit now for the Tulane CWS appearance.

Lets get to the CWS, and win games there, then we can start sucking the guys dick.

I was just commenting on the general quality of Tulane's baseball program in the sort-of-recent past.  I didn't mean to imply Pierce had the slightest thing to do with their 2005 squad.

9 minutes ago, Austin Orange said:

I would trade our 2014 results for what we have accomplished so far this year. 

Would you? Yes or no.

These things aren't mutually exclusive. I want to make a CWS and win conference championships. 

Jesus, just celebrate our first conference championship for the first time in 7 years instead of being a bitch-ass poster. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, Austin Orange said:

Would you? Yes or no.

That's right. The year you bitched all the way to a 3rd place finish in the CWS

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Austin Orange said:

Would you? Yes or no.

No. The 2018 team is probably not going to win the National Championship, but I will take my chances over a guaranteed 3rd place. And, of course, I prefer the 2018 regular season and a probable host in the Regional.

Oh and I prefer the 2002 team over the 2005 team since they won both the regular season and tournament championships. Do you?

Edited by Valmy77

Guest Lobo

I like them both.  I really think Mack Brown managed to change a very ingrained notion at Texas.  After enough years of smoothly delivering the same message, he made the UT community believe that 10-win seasons and bowl games were the highest honor.  He made a school richly adorned in dozens upon dozens of SWC championships in myriad sports forget that conference titles and national titles mattered most.  We're still suffering from it in football and many of the olympic sports, and certainly in baseball.  Thankfully, Augie didn't buy into that shit and it's not as pervasive in baseball as in other parts of campus, but it's there.  

If it were up to Mack, we'd bring back the 2003 team next season at halftime for the 15-year anniversary of the 10-win Holiday Bowl participants team!