It’s coaching vs we need new players thread

Rockethorn1978

2 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

It is not possible to say if this is the coaching at this point because our line play is so bad. No O coach can undo their OLine allowing endless pressure and not creating running room, and no D coach can undo getting fucking ZERO pressure or stopping the run. You can disguise the weakness but it always reveals eventually.

Now, it becomes a coaching issue if they allow the same inability to continue. But we either develop the fuck out of some dudes or literally take 4 transfers on each side of the ball, or we run out the exact same product next year.

Yep. There are millionaire coaches on the other team too who get paid to do their job. When they see a weakness they are going to exploit it. We lost the same way week after week. No coincidence at all.

Edited by Thatguy

20 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Not always how it works bruh. All it takes is a couple failures in key positions to get beat. You guys can pound your heads against the wall all you want and its not gonna change until we get better in a couple key areas. We keep losing games the same way, and it matters not who the opponent is. Here is where we lose.

1) Quarterback- We had 4 turnovers last nite. 4. The game is not close if not for that. Our QB play has been erratic all season. No stability there is a season killer.

2) O-Line- A lot of why our QBs are erratic is because of this group. They can't run block. Their pass blocking leaves a bit to be desired. Two strip sacks last nite.

3) D-line- All season we cannot generate a pass rush. When we finally do get someone free they aren't athletic enough to get the QB on the ground, and we cannot stop the run in our base defense. Last nite was no different. QB running around like Aaron Rodgers after one of our guys comes free but cannot hit home. It's been happening all season long. It was fitting for it to happen on the 2 point conversion too. For our defense it all starts here. You can't expect a secondary to cover that long.

You can blame the coach or whomever you choose but these three things are killing us every single game. Stability at QB, two better O-line players, and one or two guys who can rush the passer and we might not have lost. Football is truly a game of inches, and we are always just a little short in these three key areas. Every team is beating us the same way, and you can best believe KSU and WVU are drawing up the exact same gameplan too. Hold on to your dicks.

Agree, we add Cosmi and Ossai to this starting lineup and we could be a 1 or 2 loss team right now.

3 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

They also pay players and get caught paying players.  You know what's funny?  They keep paying players even though they get caught.  We don't pay.  How do I know?  When was the last time we were on probation for paying players?  It's time to pay no matter what.  If we are always paying, we will always be winning.

You’re a fucking idiot if you think other programs are any “dirtier” than we are.  Not to mention the whole NIL thing now. The problem isn’t paying players, it’s paying shitty coaches.

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

Not for @Thatguy.  If you don't have a top edge rusher, you lose every game, even Kansas.  That's the way it works.  

If your defense allows KU's quarterback to run around for 5 seconds every play until someone comes free then you are gonna lose. Blame the coaches if you want but that truth stands the test of time. Find me a defense that struggles against the pass and I will show you a shit pass rush. I think we could be better getting after the QB with a different front but coaches run what they run on defense so here we are. Muschamp would make these guys at least serviceable up front, but it would come at the cost of coverage busts because he demands a lot more out of his secondary. But I would take Boom in a hearbeat over PK. I hate 3 man fronts and always have.

2 minutes ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

It's also the inability to make clutch big plays by our players which cost us some of these games. Example, the dropped interception in OT against KU and so many dropped passes by our WRs in various losses, which could have been game-changers. Clutch big plays - can these be taught?

Game is over if Schooler can hold on to a ball that hit him square in the hands but here we are.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

I'm seriously wondering if some people on this thread have ever played organized sports or even coached little league.  Do you "its the players" chuckle fucks have any idea what coaches are supposed to do? It's not just some video game where you pick the right play off the call sheet and press X and robot players do exactly what they are told.  If the players don't trust that you are going to put them in the best position to succeed, they play slow, uncertain, not sure what to do, they're out of position, they fuck up and make mistakes, and they lose trust in themselves and the coaches, and it's a vicious cycle. You can cycle through as many hand picked portal guys as you want and you'll still have the same problem.  

I would ask the same of your tiresome ass. I played in a HS program that changed coaches and systems and we sucked even more than we would have with what little talent we had because every coaching change instantly renders every player out of position. "Oh, you think you know how to play linebacker, don't ya? Well you don't. Here's how you play linebacker." And so on at every position.

And in college sports every coaching change brings in another transition class of recruits. Meaning dozens of JAGs taking up schollies. 

For fuck's sake, there are exactly two guys on this roster with obvious NFL talent. I think some is hidden -- Alfred Collins, for example. He was recruited to play one position and now he is wasted in PK's D taking up blockers when he should be caving in the edge in a four man front. 

And it's not just that our talent is kinda subpar. It's way, way subpar. See Luke Brockemeyer trying to set the edge on that 70 yard sweep. He diagnosed the play correctly and did his best but he's a linebacker who maaaayyyybeeee runs a 4.9. I felt sorry for him there -- he hustled all the way down the field hopelessly swiping at that dude's jersey, but he is just too slow. Dusty Renfro II, Electric Fuck You for thinking it's the coaches.

We've got your dropped passes -- more on the WRs than the QBs -- on wide open routes schemed by the fucking coaches. We've got an LT incapable of handling a 220-pound edge guy, and nobody better behind him. We've got hippie Blake Gideon out there dropping game-sealing picks. The roster is a shitshow.

And you know what? Barring some kind of portal miracle, next year it's going to be worse. And because "We're TEXAS" Sark will probably be fired, and we will have another transition class, WHILE HEADING INTO THE SEC, and if you think the mockery of your friends and co-workers now is bad, just wait until we go 2-8 in conference or some shit. Don't worry though, your enemies will lose interest after two or three years, maybe even start to pity you.

And then I go and look at the resume of Lance Leipold. It's impressive. He dominated the shit out of everything at Wisconsin-Whitewater. Buffalo took a chance on him and his first season was mediocre. His second season was fucking horrific. 2-10. He needed both of those years to demonstrate how his system worked, and after that shit steadily improved until he got a chance at shitty p5 school, one that has now scared the beejesus out of one blueblood and defeated another.

We would never hire a guy like him, and if we did, we would not tolerate a 2-10 season. We live in this bubble where we think we are entitled to greatness. We are not. We have to earn it like everyone else, and the flighty pussiness of some of y'all is embarrassing to me as a Texan and a man. I know Greenspoint gets a lot of shit for panicking early in ballgames and its justifiable. But you hysterical bitches are just as bad, if not worse, for wanting to pull the plug on coaching regimes before they can even begin to implement what needs to be done here. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I would ask the same of your tiresome ass. I played in a HS program that changed coaches and systems and we sucked even more than we would have with what little talent we had because every coaching change instantly renders every player out of position. "Oh, you think you know how to play linebacker, don't ya? Well you don't. Here's how you play linebacker." And so on at every position.

And in college sports every coaching change brings in another transition class of recruits. Meaning dozens of JAGs taking up schollies. 

For fuck's sake, there are exactly two guys on this roster with obvious NFL talent. I think some is hidden -- Alfred Collins, for example. He was recruited to play one position and now he is wasted in PK's D taking up blockers when he should be caving in the edge in a four man front. 

And it's not just that our talent is kinda subpar. It's way, way subpar. See Luke Brockemeyer trying to set the edge on that 70 yard sweep. He diagnosed the play correctly and did his best but he's a linebacker who maaaayyyybeeee runs a 4.9. I felt sorry for him there -- he hustled all the way down the field hopelessly swiping at that dude's jersey, but he is just too slow. Dusty Renfro II, Electric Fuck You for thinking it's the coaches.

We've got your dropped passes -- more on the WRs than the QBs -- on wide open routes schemed by the fucking coaches. We've got an LT incapable of handling a 220-pound edge guy, and nobody better behind him. We've got hippie Blake Gideon out there dropping game-sealing picks. The roster is a shitshow.

And you know what? Barring some kind of portal miracle, next year it's going to be worse. And because "We're TEXAS" Sark will probably be fired, and we will have another transition class, WHILE HEADING INTO THE SEC, and if you think the mockery of your friends and co-workers now is bad, just wait until we go 2-8 in conference or some shit. Don't worry though, your enemies will lose interest after two or three years, maybe even start to pity you.

And then I go and look at the resume of Lance Leipold. It's impressive. He dominated the shit out of everything at Wisconsin-Whitewater. Buffalo took a chance on him and his first season was mediocre. His second season was fucking horrific. 2-10. He needed both of those years to demonstrate how his system worked, and after that shit steadily improved until he got a chance at shitty p5 school, one that has now scared the beejesus out of one blueblood and defeated another.

We would never hire a guy like him, and if we did, we would not tolerate a 2-10 season. We live in this bubble where we think we are entitled to greatness. We are not. We have to earn it like everyone else, and the flighty pussiness of some of y'all is embarrassing to me as a Texan and a man. I know Greenspoint gets a lot of shit for panicking early in ballgames and its justifiable. But you hysterical bitches are just as bad, if not worse, for wanting to pull the plug on coaching regimes before they can even begin to implement what needs to be done here. 

Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

8 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

Not proof.

Cool. You’re welcome to bury your head. I’ll trust what players say. 

Here you go you fucking moron

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kvue.com/amp/article/sports/longhorns-emmanuel-acho-comments-money/269-c8d25da6-8307-44f9-952f-05023cad7e8d

Edited by hobbes2702

12 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I dont think anyone was expecting greatness year 1 and yes coaching changes do make things worse. But we fired our last coach only to hire a guy who is a proven downgrade and it shows. Even Strong's year 1 team had more fight than this and both Card/Thompson are LEAGUES better than Swoopes. 

3 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

No, we aren't trying hard enough.  When does Texas cheating make the news?  Except for the glad handing Acho making an unsubtantiated claim?

It doesn’t make the news at most schools because it is so common. It only ever makes the news when someone does something excessive and obvious. Seriously are you really this naive? Have you never spoken to a college football player?

I bet you think none of our guys are on the juice either.

Edited by hobbes2702

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Card is the worst QB to take snaps at Texas since Marty Cherry.  I don't give a shit about supposed pedigree on the field he is as bad, maybe worse than a backup who was a male model.  

And yet when he portals to SMU or some other Texas adjacent school, he'll probably do really well like Buechele and Gilbert. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

So you think we should aspire to be North Carolina? How much success have they had in history? 
The fact that’s the best example you can come up with proves the point. Good schools that want to win and do win fire coaches left and right until they find the right coach.

Best? That's just first. If NC had done what you wanted Mack would never have become the coach he was before we grabbed him and won a national championship. So yeah winning a national championship is what we should aspire to.

Mack's a program builder and sometimes takes a little suffering and turmoil before it happens. Glad NC (and they are too) let him stay after rocky start.

45 minutes ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

It's also the inability to make clutch big plays by our players which cost us some of these games. Example, the dropped interception in OT against KU and so many dropped passes by our WRs in various losses, which could have been game-changers. Clutch big plays - can these be taught?

The coach can set the attitude.  

Its why some schools have irrationally long losing streaks against certain opponents until a new coach or new group of players changes the tone.  If you expect to lose, you probably will.  Doesn't matter what the sport.

3 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

There is a talent issue, we don't have any. Did you see any besides Worthy and Bijan? I didn't.

We have twice the team talent as Kansas. It should be painfully obvious now to anyone watching that our biggest issue is coaching. 

• Hook 'Em 1

How many of these players were on the 2019 team that barely squeaked by Kansas at home 48-50? Kansas scored a 2 point conversion before Sam led us down field and Dicker hit the game winning field goal. That game should not have been that close. We could have gotten rid of Herman a lot faster if we lost that game. But here we are. 

11 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Best? That's just first. If NC had done what you wanted Mack would never have become the coach he was before we grabbed him and won a national championship. So yeah winning a national championship is what we should aspire to.

Mack's a program builder and sometimes takes a little suffering and turmoil before it happens. Glad NC (and they are too) let him stay after rocky start.

They are fucking UNC. If he had come in to Texas and started here like he did there he would have been rightfully fired. But he didn’t, because he’s a good coach. He came in and immediately improved performance on the field and in recruiting. Sark is going backwards. What blue blood program continues with the same coach after performances like this? They don’t, they move on and try again.

Alabama coaches : Saban (15 years, Shula (3), Dubose (3), Curry (2), Perkins (3).

Oklahoma: Riley (5), Stoops, (17), Blake (2), Schellenberger (1), Gibbs (5), Fairbanks (5), Mackenzie (1), Jones (2)

Big schools turnover coaches quickly until they find the right guy.

Edited by hobbes2702

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

They are fucking UNC. If he had come in to Texas and started here like he did there he would have been rightfully fired. But he didn’t, because he’s a good coach. He came in and immediately improved performance on the field and in recruiting. Sark is going backwards. What blue blood program continues with the same coach after performances like this? They don’t, they move on and try again.

why would you talk about recruiting when Sark hasn't even had his first class?

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

We have twice the team talent as Kansas. It should be painfully obvious now to anyone watching that our biggest issue is coaching. 

The folks on it is the players bandwagon are in denial. If it were the players then there is hope for a quick turn around. If it is Sark then we are in for an additional two to three years of ground hog days. I say welcome to Punxsutawney.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Not always how it works bruh. All it takes is a couple failures in key positions to get beat. You guys can pound your heads against the wall all you want and its not gonna change until we get better in a couple key areas. We keep losing games the same way, and it matters not who the opponent is. Here is where we lose.

1) Quarterback- We had 4 turnovers last nite. 4. The game is not close if not for that. Our QB play has been erratic all season. No stability there is a season killer.

2) O-Line- A lot of why our QBs are erratic is because of this group. They can't run block. Their pass blocking leaves a bit to be desired. Two strip sacks last nite.

3) D-line- All season we cannot generate a pass rush. When we finally do get someone free they aren't athletic enough to get the QB on the ground, and we cannot stop the run in our base defense. Last nite was no different. QB running around like Aaron Rodgers after one of our guys comes free but cannot hit home. It's been happening all season long. It was fitting for it to happen on the 2 point conversion too. For our defense it all starts here. You can't expect a secondary to cover that long.

You can blame the coach or whomever you choose but these three things are killing us every single game. Stability at QB, two better O-line players, and one or two guys who can rush the passer and we might not have lost. Football is truly a game of inches, and we are always just a little short in these three key areas. Every team is beating us the same way, and you can best believe KSU and WVU are drawing up the exact same gameplan too. Hold on to your dicks.

We have those holes, but we are STILL 13th in the country in points per game at 37.8 and 7th in the P5 behind only Ohio St., Wake Forest, Alabama, Pitt, Oklahoma and Georgia.  The offense doesn't execute at key times, but scores plenty for us to have won 7 to 9 games at this point instead of 4.  Its consistent execution and execution at critical times that hurts us.  There's no coach in the country who wouldn't die to have Worthy and B. Robinson.  We may have the two best in the country at those two positions.

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

The folks on it is the players bandwagon are in denial. If it were the players then there is hope for a quick turn around. If it is Sark then we are in for an additional two to three years of ground hog days. I say welcome to Punxsutawney.

Hey now Phil eventually landed Rita in the end

Pay no attention to the fact it took 30-40 years.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

Hey now Phil eventually landed Rita in the end

Pay no attention to the fact it took 30-40 years.

4 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

why would you talk about recruiting when Sark hasn't even had his first class?

Because his first class incoming is currently not very good and is unlikely to get better. We sit 7th currently with zero 5 star commits and several big time strikeouts. That’s all before we lost to Kansas 

I will use LSU for this argument of players vs coaches

We hired Ed O who inherited a team stacked with talent but coach by the one and only Les Miles.

On talent alone we lost a close bowl game to ND and then won the Fiesta Bowl and then National Champs

After that the coach decides that he wants to run his defensive style instead of the one we had recruited for the last 5 years. He goes out his way that he is building the team in his vision.

The last 2 years we have 5-5 and 4-6 currently all from him running the team his way.

But the last 2 games he decide to let the d-coordinator do the job his way...and we held Bama to 20 points and should have won that game and held Arky to 16 and 13 in regulation

I say all that to say yall have the players they just need to be coached up and currently like we are seeing that Ed O is a .500 at best coach you all are seeing Sark is just regular or he needs to get his players in. But I say its the coaches because it is their job to put the players in the best position to win

• Hook 'Em 4

56 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

If your defense allows KU's quarterback to run around for 5 seconds every play until someone comes free then you are gonna lose. 

That 'someone' was a zero-star, walk-on LB who has played exactly *zero* offensive snaps at his new position (FB) until last night.  Ran a drag across the goal line and snagged a pass that was thrown completely behind him.

So when the argument is made about our talent pool not being as-good-as-the-ratings-said-back-in-2019, it just rings a bit hollow.  We got beat by a zero-star walk-on LB catching a pass from a 3 star QB filling in as the emergency QB -- and who incidentally was ranked 47 spots behind... Hudson Card.

The players have given up.  Time for a complete tear-down and rebuild.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, hornchaud said:

That 'someone' was a zero-star, walk-on LB who has played exactly *zero* offensive snaps at his new position (FB) until last night.  Ran a drag across the goal line and snagged a pass that was thrown completely behind him.

So when the argument is made about our talent pool not being as-good-as-the-ratings-said-back-in-2019, it just rings a bit hollow.  We got beat by a zero-star walk-on LB catching a pass from a 3 star QB filling in as the emergency QB -- and who incidentally was ranked 47 spots behind... Hudson Card.

The players have given up.  Time for a complete tear-down and rebuild.

And who leads the team?  The coach is responsible for motivating them.  He's botched the job badly this year.

4 hours ago, DiceHands said:

I think we need consistency more than anything.  Firing Sark does nothing to fix the issue.  I get that youre mad and want someone to pay for this, but you have to look at the past 10 years and see what we have been doing and do something different.  Firing coaches based off emotions has not worked.  We have to at least let him try.

Im not saying Sark is the guy long term, Im not saying hes not, but we have to stick with him for now.  They arent paying him 35 million dollars to go 4-8 in one year. 

3 hours ago, DiceHands said:

k lets fire the coach after one year and lets go get another coach who we can do the same thing again to.  revolving door.  it aint working.  we have to settle in and build it up.  you guys want instant success and im sorry but it aint gonna happen like that.  

For the last 10 years we have let coaches stick around long past when it was clear they weren’t getting it done.  So you’re suggesting we should…. Keep a guy around for consistency and that’s doing something different?   How about we do something different and fire the guy who has lost the team, 5 games in a row, and to Kansas.   How about we stop trying to hire the next great coordinator and thinking that somehow translates to being a good HC?

We need someone to come in and clean house, that’s for sure.   Recruiting is not where it needs to be and that’s going to continue downhill with 7WS.   There is no shortage of coaches who would take the job after the last guy got fired in year one, guys who know they are fucking good at their jobs and can turn the program around.  

3 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Sark can win 9 games at USC with Cody Kessler and a bunch of Jags, but he all of a sudden can’t coach as soon as he gets to Austin? It’s about 80% players 20% coaches imo. These players suck and it’s gonna take at least two recruiting classes to fix 

Recruiting 2 more classes the way things are currently headed will not have the outcome you are thinking.  Stars do indeed matter, it’s very well documented at this point that the teams that win are the ones that recruit top >10 classes every year for a minimum of 3-4 cycles.   The ports change that a little but it won’t be by much.   

A new coach can come in and start winning and that will improve recruiting.   Herman sold the future and recruiting picked up, his resume was short enough no one really knew what would happen.   But he didn’t develop the guys and didn’t win enough, recruiting fell off and he got canned.

Charlie went scorched earth and kicked a bunch of people out, but he couldn’t win and his already shaky recruiting took a turn, he lost to Kansas and got canned. 

There’s outliers like Dabo, e don’t start off winning, and his recruiting wasn’t great, but he also had no resume people could look back at and know how things were going to turn out.   But he started winning and recruiting took off as a result.

7WS has a resume long enough to reasonably know what we can expect.   He’s not winning and his recruiting is not that great, there’s not much for him to sell.   Rosters turn over every 3-5 years constantly so a “complete rebuild” should show signs of life by the second incoming class.   Our best bet for a fast turnaround would be an Urban/Dabo or an unknown like Traylor/McGuire but there’s still a lot of coaches out there in the middle who would do better at winning and recruiting than 7WS.  

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s coaching. Like others have pointed out, in a UT vs KU scenario, your second and third string players are going to be more talented than KU’s starters. 

Yesterday was 100% coaching. 

As a Tech fan, I’ve seen a difference in our team the past two games. Yes OU blew us out of the stadium, but the team played harder and better than they had previously this season. Yesterday was night and day different from the Tech team I watched all year. Same players. Only variable that changed was at the HC position. 

Coaching matters. Head coach matters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Uncle Nate said:

It’s coaching. Like others have pointed out, in a UT vs KU scenario, your second and third string players are going to be more talented than KU’s starters. 

Yesterday was 100% coaching. 

As a Tech fan, I’ve seen a difference in our team the past two games. Yes OU blew us out of the stadium, but the team played harder and better than they had previously this season. Yesterday was night and day different from the Tech team I watched all year. Same players. Only variable that changed was at the HC position. 

Coaching matters. Head coach matters. 

This. Our fans are so dumb. They want to drive off our 4 star players and hope our dumbass coaches can somehow coach up the two and three stars they will end up recruiting to play here  

all this is doing it digging the hole deeper for the next coach.  Cut the losses now, while we still have some talent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Because his first class incoming is currently not very good and is unlikely to get better. We sit 7th currently with zero 5 star commits and several big time strikeouts. That’s all before we lost to Kansas 

It’s also a deceiving 7th at that, we are 13th in composite average with 22 signees, the 10 teams directly behind us average around 16 signees so far.   We are also going to lose a few current and best guess right now is we finish somewhere around 15

2 minutes ago, ONE YARD said:

This. Our fans are so dumb. They want to drive off our 4 star players and hope our dumbass coaches can somehow coach up the two and three stars they will end up recruiting to play here  

all this is doing it digging the hole deeper for the next coach.  Cut the losses now, while we still have some talent. 

We aren't going to, so the vortex of suck will continue.

3 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Yes I believe he has done things that have made the team tune him out or stop believing in him. That type of performance yesterday takes special turmoil inside a locker room.

was on the field during OSU and saw the players tuning him out.   Jimmy Lake is a choir boy as far as I’m concerned, and out guy is a pussy.  

I’ll take Sarks contract for $1 for 2 years and I’ll flip this bitch.  I’m not a coach but I’m fucking good at turning shit around, all the extra salary goes to the assistant pool for hiring the best.  

Second, scorched earth.  Anyone who doesn’t want to be here and give 110% can get the fuck out.   

Third, I will get the bag game organized from boosters to the right recruits and transfers. I have a guy who knows where all the bodies are buried and this is just the sort of thing he’s most useful for. 

will we win every game year one?   Hell, we might not win many.  But that’s the plan and by God they will improve as the year goes on and year 2 will settle it.  Then we can revisit my contract. 

• Hook 'Em 1

100 percent chance all you scorched earth, tear the whole thing down zealots will demand the head of the coach who does what you want and loses 8 or 9 games his first year and maybe the same or worse the second.

That is what it would take for this total rebuild you are prescribing. As old MENSA said, you can't just wave fairy dust over the players you inherit. 

• Hook 'Em 2