Texas vs. Houston Baptist tonight at 8 PM at the FEC and on LHN

HookEm

Licon isn’t just a garbage practice team player. He has some actual basketball skillz. He averaged 20 pts 8 reb for Sul Ross. He is actually the leading rebounder in program history. As a 6’1 point guard.  I would actually like to see what he could do in a real situation.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He should be a freshmen this season. Let him learn a year behind the 3 SRs. He will be huge for the team next year when he's getting 30 MPG.

Yeah most likely I think he balls out next year then leaves. But you never know - he was a top 35 or 40 guy out of HS and was pretty good for UK last year. I feel like he'll have a high ceiling this year. 

4 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

I think the only person who misses Shaka’s offense is that fucking regard Bitterwhiteguy

As a guy who played HS hoops and failed miserably at college hoops, but knows good basketball when I see it, it simply blows my mind that someone who claims to love basketball as much as Bitterwhiteguy could be a fan of Shaka's brand of hoops. I like Shaka, but not for the brand of basketball he put on the floor at Texas. It was abysmal. 

• Hook 'Em 3

45 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Shaka’s games were never fun to watch.  Even when we won, nothing happened.  It was a boring monotony of guys standing around and repeatedly trying the same ball screen action over and over until it worked.  It was the worst of Barnes era basketball, except without any of the toughness and board crashing that allowed us to win and make it tolerable under Barnes.

Things actually happen when you watch a Beard team play.  The defense plays tight, scrambles and is frenetic.   The offense has motion on and off the ball, and unpredictability.  Your brain can’t just go on autopilot while you stare at 10 guys not doing much of anything for 2/3 of the airtime.  Whether the scores are high or low, at least something is happening to stimulate brain waves when you watch. 

Imagine fancying yourself a basketball blogger and writing articles about how Shaka Smart’s offense is better than the Bob Knight / Chris Beard motion offense because nobody ever moves and therefore spacing is never disturbed.  The Onion would have rejected that article for being too ridiculous to be good satire.  

The intensity we play with on defense and the motion and set ups and shit on offense. The days of watching Coleman and Ramsey dribble for 25 seconds then try to fight through a double team to drive to the basket are over. Thank Christ. This spring is gonna kick so much fucking ass 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, HookEm said:

Licon isn’t just a garbage practice team player. He has some actual basketball skillz. He averaged 20 pts 8 reb for Sul Ross. He is actually the leading rebounder in program history. As a 6’1 point guard.  I would actually like to see what he could do in a real situation.

all i kept saying these last two games is, "he plays like he thinks he belongs out there." this dude can seriously hoop, and he's one of those guys who is totally unfazed by his status on the team. if he were 6'3" he'd be in the rotation. he's the man. 

7 hours ago, MidTexHorn said:

Blocked that weekend on my work calendar last week so my secretary doesn't book me for anything. I'm ready for this shit!

Very nice humble brag. 🤘🏼

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Assume you're talking about the starting 5 for Texas and the next 5 off the bench. 

I was talking about the Men and Women, but that works too.

I’m excited about both of the teams and their coaching staffs. Let’s make some fucking noise! 🤘🏼

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

I told you motherfuckers all last season this man could ball. 

Well, really it was just a few of you. Still. 

Way to stroke it Ramey. 

Hmm weird so you’re saying with the right coaching a kid can improve? Such a polar opposite take on the football board by a ton. If you sick you suck no coach can improve you.

didn't get to watch the game, but just watched the 11 minutes of highlights on youtube. Everything shadow ops said is so true about chemistry. the only weakness that I see will be rebounding. these fuckers can score! love the back door cuts a motion offense brings. i doubt we'll shoot the 3 like that every night, but when we do, we'll be unbeatable.

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

But you never know - he was a top 35 or 40 guy out of HS and was pretty good for UK last year. I feel like he'll have a high ceiling this year. 

He was actually pretty damn terrible at Kentucky last year.  My UK friend that watched every game absolutely hated him.  But he was forced into a starting role at the most high profile team in the country when he should have been in HS.  He was not close to ready for that role.  This is a perfect opportunity to get comfortable with the college game coming off the bench and hopefully progress and take on a big role next year (and yes, potentially at times over the course of this season).

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 1

Watched the highlights.

Laughed hard at one part towards the end: Licon gets his hands on the ball on defense and knocks it loose; him and Benson start running. Outlet pass goes off of Benson's head, right into the hands of Licon. Licon has the fucking swagger to pull up for a 3 during the 2 on 1 transition and sinks it. Benson never even looked at the basket. As soon as the ball went off his head, he looked right at Licon, Licon let it fly, and Benson started celebrating as soon as it left his hand 🤣 this team was having fun, that's for damn sure

Edit to add link: 9:20 in this video. That bucket made it 90-44.

Edited by TheBryMan81
  • Hook 'Em 1