Zeus, Apollo... ATTACK!

RPM

1. He's no Tom Selleck, not even close.

2. CBS forgot that a huge part of what made Magnum P.I. so popular, was that it was the first truly mainstream positive portrayal of Vietnam Vets.  Hell, it launched just a year after Apocalypse Now hit theaters, and two years after The Deer Hunter.  That was a Big Damn Deal to a lot of my dad's friends.

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Agree on the Vietnam thing. Doubt this can resonate with the ME vets in the same way. 

It's a very different environment here in 2018 versus 1980.  Shit, two of the most popular shows over the past 20 years have portrayed the military in a positive light (JAG and NCIS), we've had numerous movies made about both wars, not to mention numerous documentaries.  It's not a big deal to see the military portrayed in a positive light and/or to show combat vets that aren't psychopathic killers, unlike the late '70s which saw two huge fucking movies that weren't too kind to Vietnam vets.

I'd like to see a few more season's of Fox's The Finder long before I watch a rebooted Magnum P.I.  Unfortunately, Michael Clarke Duncan is dead, and it wouldn't be the same show.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Also, Tom Selleck as Magnum, PI was not a douche, even though he drive a bright red car. He was self-deprecating, a little lazy. He wasn’t perfect, kind of a beach bum. But he cared about people. He barely was an action star and actually tried to think things through. This is the bizarro Magnum, PI. Looks like an opposite esthetic.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This looks like they used the archer season as source material instead of the original show. 

Boo this show. 

Agree on the Vietnam thing. Doubt this can resonate with the ME vets in the same way. 

The 17 years and counting war vets may get financially abandoned by the government they served but they get their asses kissed constantly by the media and public. Quite different than the NAM guys. 

9 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Also, Tom Selleck as Magnum, PI was not a douche, even though he drive a bright red car. He was self-deprecating, a little lazy. He wasn’t perfect, kind of a beach bum. But he cared about people. He barely was an action star and actually tried to think things through. This is the bizarro Magnum, PI. Looks like an opposite esthetic.

They obviously don’t give a shit about the originals, just in name and a few shiny cars.  No drawn out old war stories.  The war buddies served in different theaters?

On 5/17/2018 at 11:15 PM, Lone Star Horn said:

hmm, on CBS, set in Hawaii. how long before they do series cross-overs with Hawaii Five-0?

ahhh  CBS the network that does shows set in Hawaii without any Hawaiians...  also who gives a shit?  Hawaii Five-O is horribad, and this looks terrible too