Leaked video of Bo Davis going Augie Garrido on the team after ISU loss

Bruh Man

18 minutes ago, Skipper said:

You know who is kind of the perfect example of that?  Caden Sterns.  He was fantastic as a true freshman then, when he was actually on the field the next 2 seasons, he was the epitome of average.  Played super soft.  I've heard from those around the program he constantly claimed he was "hurt" to avoid practicing and wouldn't play through anything.  Without even getting into all the ancillary stuff, he just seemed like a guy that didn't give a shit about football. 

Thus, I've been pretty much shocked he not only made the Broncos but is playing well. Because I didn't think a chance in hell a guy like that could grind his way to a roster spot.  I guess some guys that have talent really can turn on their "give a shit" meter when they are playing for paychecks.  But the fact we apparently started an NFL safety who was beyond average and at many times a liability on the field for us is pretty indicative of the "culture" problem. Because with him it was clearly 100% that he didn't give a shit. Ossai and Sam were great leaders but apparently he wouldn't go all out for them.  I thought a lot of it was the team just hated Herman and guys like him wouldn't play for him but Sark came in and treated them like professionals and it's just gotten worse.  No idea how you fix this culture.

I think Sterns always thought he was going to the NFL, and because the team generally sucked he went the whole, I am going to do my best to stay as healthy as possible. I think he likes playing football, but only when he can either get paid or play for not a shitty coach. I think after the LSU game he really stopped giving a shit about Herman and Texas.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

What if a player is running wide open and they don't throw his way or they throw his way and its out of bounds or its on target and he fails to catch it. I'd say that primarily is what is happening in the pass game. Which in turn kills the run game because it isn't much of a threat if we can't execute consistently. We make any one or two of those during the last 4 games and we likely win because it completely changes the dynamics of the game. It opens up the run, it puts the opponent further down and makes them one dimensional.

And again, how many different assignments have these players had over the last 6 years. Someone posted above that Okafor has had 5 oline coaches in 6 years. WTF do you expect when he's learning something different every year? Instead of consistency and working on identifying the correct assignment and making the play, they stand there looking confused as shit. You think that's on the coaches. I think that's the result of a turnstile of coaches. You don't teach during the season, you execute what you have been taught. These guys haven't had enough time to learn and practice and practice and practice until it becomes routine. And with the OL especially, it only takes 1 of 5 guys to miss their assignment to blow the play up. Repetition is the key. Dump the bad, non-motivated players and start the rebuild with continuity for the next 2-3 years and it will pay off.

While I mostly agree with you, I still look at the Greg Robinson example.  He took Manny Diaz's disaster in mid-season and completely turned it around in 2 games.  He had a simpler scheme that the guys could figure out.  He took a bottom 20 defense and turned it into a top 20 defense in 2 games.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, bullet said:

While I mostly agree with you, I still look at the Greg Robinson example.  He took Manny Diaz's disaster in mid-season and completely turned it around in 2 games.  He had a simpler scheme that the guys could figure out.  He took a bottom 20 defense and turned it into a top 20 defense in 2 games.

Craig Navier or whoever they promoted internally did the same thing with Orlando's garbage in the bowl game against Utah.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, bullet said:

That defense also had Jeffcoat(13 sacks), Reed (10 sacks), Phillips (NFL safety), Diggs (NFL DB), M. Brown (NFL DT), Ridgeway, Edmond, and a few more good players. Which is why Strong's 1st year defense was so good.

All those guys would be starting on this defense.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

That defense also had Jeffcoat(13 sacks), Reed (10 sacks), Phillips (NFL safety), Diggs (NFL DB), M. Brown (NFL DT), Ridgeway, Edmond, and a few more good players. Which is why Strong's 1st year defense was so good.

Jeffcoat, Reed, Phillips, Diggs and M. Brown would not only start but easily be the best 5 players on this D.  That team had some talent.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, bullet said:

A bandaid. Sure, it would be easy to simplify the scheme and it probably would help some right now. Do we want a bandaid or do we want to actually fix the problem? I'd prefer to get players in and keep them in the same system for a few seasons to see what they can do once they truly grasp the system. I realize in this day and age of instant gratification, that's an unpopular opinion, but its the only way to truly fix things. It will be painful. Depending on who portals after the season, next years' defense may be just as bad as this year. But if the system works (and PK has a pretty good track record that it does), then for me its worth the short term pain to get it right.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I fully credit Greg Robinson for turning Steve Edmond around. Specifically that game at West Virginia that year, Steve actually played like what everyone had hoped he would have played like during his time here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah Greg had some solid solid pieces to work with.  PK should be better than what he's shown us this far but I'm not exactly confident that a Greg Robinson would have a turnaround like he did replacing Diaz

5 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I got worse than that in 7th grade basketball, seriously.

And, strangely, I got better that year and we won our district.

That's exactly what we want 7th graders getting out of sports. Adults scream like assholes so the immortal achievement of winning district will be attained.

My coaches would yell when it would do good, but they mostly cared about setting an example and teaching the value of giving it everything you have. Nobody ever got called a profane name and we went undefeated in 7th grade football; you've probably heard of the Eisenhower Jr. High White Team. Pretty big deal.

I don't know what Davis is like everyday, but I'm guessing it's not like what we heard here. It was blistering and called for. These aren't children.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, RomaVicta said:

That's exactly what we want 7th graders getting out of sports. Adults scream like assholes so the immortal achievement of winning district will be attained.

My coaches would yell when it would do good, but they mostly cared about setting an example and teaching the value of giving it everything you have. Nobody ever got called a profane name and we went undefeated in 7th grade football; you've probably heard of the Eisenhower Jr. High White Team. Pretty big deal.

I don't know what Davis is like everyday, but I'm guessing it's not like what we heard here. It was blistering and called for. These aren't children.

Which is why it doesn't work.

• Fuck You 4

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

God, that dude is the prime of example of how bad coaching can fail a player.

I remember vividly when he signed, but I was always suspect being he played 2A football at Daingerfield.  Cant recall but he was at least a 4 star.  You really dont see good opponents that far down the classifications. 

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I remember vividly when he signed, but I was always suspect being he played 2A football at Daingerfield.  Cant recall but he was at least a 4 star.  You really dont see good opponents that far down the classifications. 

I watched the state championship game vs Cameron and saw him run down Dede Westbrook and was sold.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bullet said:

2 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

A bandaid. Sure, it would be easy to simplify the scheme and it probably would help some right now. Do we want a bandaid or do we want to actually fix the problem? I'd prefer to get players in and keep them in the same system for a few seasons to see what they can do once they truly grasp the system. I realize in this day and age of instant gratification, that's an unpopular opinion, but its the only way to truly fix things. It will be painful. Depending on who portals after the season, next years' defense may be just as bad as this year. But if the system works (and PK has a pretty good track record that it does), then for me its worth the short term pain to get it right.

Greg Robinson didn't simplify Manny's scheme, it was a scheme change. From Manny's complicated 3 man fronts and light boxes to a simple one gap 4 man front which gave guys gaps they were responsible for. Less reading meant guys who struggled with diagnosis, like Steve Edmond, could just go eat. We also no longer ran light boxes, so we were man for man in the run game. It made us faster, and that's where our superior athletic ability showed. I have never been a fan of this era's love for 3-3-5's and such. The way we align our fronts makes it hard for them to get after the QB. Hard to beat a man head up, but split him out a little and things change dramatically. I think a lot of our guys up front would eat if they could just attack gaps. But here we are.

Offensively we are fine we just gotta see and hit what's there. Soooo many dudes running wide open. I can see a scenario where we can get a couple portal guys and shore up our problems on that side of the ball if Bijan and X don't portal out. Decent QB play and one decent lineman is all we need. Defense might need a longer look though.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hookah Horns (insider on IT) said Montrell Estell was the player who recorded the video and he was "voted off the island"

I thought we had settled on there being separate buses for offense and defense. If it was a WR, my money would have been on Moore. 

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hookah Horns (insider on IT) said Montrell Estell was the player who recorded the video and he was "voted off the island"

I'm not sure I realized he was even still on the roster.  Which is telling considering how depleted we are at WR.   Still doesn't make sense unless they no longer do offense/defense busses.

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

So in a way that’s pretty easy to understand he has t bought in a d never plays and so it makes plenty of sense to let the players do a formal vote to show buyin and get rid of him.

Flip side is that if he’s the culprit or would be much better to just have Sark cut him and not let the possibility of the team decide to let him slide.

But, if true, it’s a non-entity to lose vs some one that is actually getting snaps or could be in the future.

44 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Greg Robinson didn't simplify Manny's scheme, it was a scheme change. From Manny's complicated 3 man fronts and light boxes to a simple one gap 4 man front which gave guys gaps they were responsible for. Less reading meant guys who struggled with diagnosis, like Steve Edmond, could just go eat. We also no longer ran light boxes, so we were man for man in the run game. It made us faster, and that's where our superior athletic ability showed. I have never been a fan of this era's love for 3-3-5's and such. The way we align our fronts makes it hard for them to get after the QB. Hard to beat a man head up, but split him out a little and things change dramatically. I think a lot of our guys up front would eat if they could just attack gaps. But here we are.

Offensively we are fine we just gotta see and hit what's there. Soooo many dudes running wide open. I can see a scenario where we can get a couple portal guys and shore up our problems on that side of the ball if Bijan and X don't portal out. Decent QB play and one decent lineman is all we need. Defense might need a longer look though.

Agreed, and for the short term that worked. Manny's scheme worked originally as well. But can it hold up after coaches have a year or two of film to scheme around? Manny's obviously didn't. We don't know about Robinson's defense because he was let go with Mack.

PK went for years fielding a pretty salty defense with Washington. I don't think he forgot how to coach and unlike Manny Diaz, he actually had an extended history of success prior to being hired meaning offensive coordinators knew his scheme. Is he maybe too stubborn in sticking to his scheme instead of adjusting to his personnel...maybe that's the case, maybe it isn't. But that also depends on whether you take a short term fix view or a long term view and whether you think the problems are all coaching or at least in part on the players.

If he wants his scheme to be effective, the players have to live it and practice it and learn how to execute it under live fire. That takes time (more than a few months of practice and 9 games). Unfortunately a lot of our fanbase is like asking a 7 year old if they want a ice cream now or a bicycle in a week. They'll take the ice cream. Do what's best right now, right now, right now. Not tomorrow, right fucking now. You never get the bike if you can't have the least bit of patience.

You don't build a culture like that, you don't build build consistency like that, you don't develop player leadership like that. So I'll give PK the benefit of the doubt for now, no matter how frustrating it is (and I was screaming how much he sucks in this last game). If we aren't seeing the benefits of learning the same system towards the end of next season, then maybe its a different discussion we're having.

Edited by HoustonHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Ridgeway is in the league (too). 

Edited by ztejas

15 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Agreed, and for the short term that worked. Manny's scheme worked originally as well. But can it hold up after coaches have a year or two of film to scheme around? Manny's obviously didn't. We don't know about Robinson's defense because he was let go with Mack.

PK went for years fielding a pretty salty defense with Washington. I don't think he forgot how to coach and unlike Manny Diaz, he actually had an extended history of success prior to being hired meaning offensive coordinators knew his scheme. Is he maybe too stubborn in sticking to his scheme instead of adjusting to his personnel...maybe that's the case, maybe it isn't. But that also depends on whether you take a short term fix view or a long term view and whether you think the problems are all coaching or at least in part on the players.

If he wants his scheme to be effective, the players have to live it and practice it and learn how to execute it under live fire. That takes time (more than a few months of practice and 9 games). Unfortunately a lot of our fanbase is like asking a 7 year old if they want a ice cream now or a bicycle in a week. They'll take the ice cream. Do what's best right now, right now, right now. Not tomorrow, right fucking now. You never get the bike if you can't have the least bit of patience.

You don't build a culture like that, you don't build build consistency like that, you don't develop player leadership like that. So I'll give PK the benefit of the doubt for now, no matter how frustrating it is (and I was screaming how much he sucks in this last game). If we aren't seeing the benefits of learning the same system towards the end of next season, then maybe its a different discussion we're having.

Diazes scheme never worked, he just had a bunch of well developed studs handed off to him from Muschamp or Robinson's first stint under Mack, can't remember which....

So you're saying these coaches that have 3 years to earn a longterm gig here are going to come in and not try to develop a scheme for the players they have; but instead, try to fit square pegs in round holes?  They only have 3 years to get all the round pegs they need to fit all the holes.... If they had just went back and watched the basic defense that Ash had last season that was improving toward the end of last season, and implemented that, they would be sitting on more wins right now.  It doesn't mean they have to abandon the scheme they want to run.  They can slowly include it and build on it as they recruit the players they need for it...But, why abandon something that was working for something you think you can make work when you have the right pieces?  That's just called being locked in and stubborn...

I mean, I understand the fanbase, boosters, etc should be more patient and allow coaches to prove themselves,  but that is just not reality...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Azbadlands said:

Diazes scheme never worked, he just had a bunch of well developed studs handed off to him from Muschamp or Robinson's first stint under Mack, can't remember which....

So you're saying these coaches that have 3 years to earn a longterm gig here are going to come in and not try to develop a scheme for the players they have; but instead, try to fit square pegs in round holes?  They only have 3 years to get all the round pegs they need to fit all the holes.... If they had just went back and watched the basic defense that Ash had last season that was improving toward the end of last season, and implemented that, they would be sitting on more wins right now.  It doesn't mean they have to abandon the scheme they want to run.  They can slowly include it and build on it as they recruit the players they need for it...But, why abandon something that was working for something you think you can make work when you have the right pieces?  That's just called being locked in and stubborn...

I mean, I understand the fanbase, boosters, etc should be more patient and allow coaches to prove themselves,  but that is just not reality...

I don’t get why he can’t start simple and ease into the scheme. He should be flexible enough to do that. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

I was big on Foster as a recruit and he played very well his freshman year.  I'm not sure what happened after his freshman year but his attempts at tackling against ou his sophomore year and his terrible effort game in and game out since then have me questioning if this guy even wants to play football.  I've never seen a guy that was a good tackler and a hard hitter become so soft.  I'm not sure if it's injuries, if he's scared to get hurt again, or if he's let the programs loser mentality permeate.  Either way, it's a bitch ass move to quit in the middle of a game, especially the first game of the season.  I lost all respect for him as a player after that.

Remind me also how many times he “quit” the team and got in and out of the portal?  Twice I think.

Herman was guilty of a lot of shit, but for me his biggest flaw was letting players quit and then come back.  And not just come back, but walk right back into starting spots.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

I thought we had settled on there being separate buses for offense and defense. If it was a WR, my money would have been on Moore. 

Bucky said on the radio this morning they usually travel according to what string they play. Sounded like starters and backups, etc. on one bus, scrubs on another. Who knows?

Almost the whole team is scrubs.

Edited by Deej
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Bucky said on the radio this morning they usually travel according to what string they play. Sounded like starters and backups, etc. on one bus, scrubs on another. Who knows?

Almost the whole team is scrubs.

So he wasted an outburst on 3rd string mother fuckers?

• Like 2