2021-2022 Winter weather thread for non-Texans

Parliament

2 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

15* and Montana folk don't wear heavy coats, yet.  Covering up, sure, and acting like they're going to die because it's cold.  Not so much.

15* is what your lightweight puffy jacket is for.  

Edited by Chewbacca

• 3 weeks later...

The National Weather Service has issued a blizzard warning until Sunday morning on the Big Island of Hawaii. 

The warning remains in effect from 6 p.m. Friday until 6 a.m. Sunday as up to 12 inches or more of snow is expected on the island. NWS also warns residents to stay indoors as forecasters predict winds gusting over 100 mph.

"Travel could be very difficult to impossible. Blowing snow will significantly reduce visibility at times, with periods of zero visibility," NWS's weather warning reads.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/hawaii-under-blizzard-warning-as-12-inches-of-snow-and-winds-up-to-100-mph-expected/ar-AARqW4c?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

On 12/6/2021 at 9:45 AM, Doc Holliday said:

7* this morning, still have a couple inches of snow on the ground after a quick 4-5" blizzard yesterday morning.   Expecting another inch or 2 starting around sundown.  Just a lil chilly.  Next 2 months will bring the real cold. 

200.gif

I was up at 4:30 getting everything lighter than a car into the garage. We live on the east side of town so our house doesn’t get battered as hard by straight line winds. But I’m right in the darkest circle of shit.

Supposed to be 65 this afternoon and 30 by early Thursday

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, GopherRock said:

I don't think there will be enough energy here in the Twin Cities for things to really crank up, but the fact we're discussing any of this on DECEMBER 15 is batshit crazy.

Yeah, you guys will be fine.  I was talking to my brother (lives in St Paul) and he's been XC skiing all weekend - your snow base will prevent a major temp spike like we're seeing.  We have almost 0 snow after getting a shot this weekend and it's 60 degrees already today.  Shit could very well go down here, and like you said, that's insane for MID DECEMBER.

The latest I remember severe weather was the infamous ISU/Colorado "Tornado Game" in 2005.  It was early-ish November and a tornado leveled Woodward, Iowa and then hit the west side of Ames the afternoon of the game.  There's a video somewhere of the ISU police trying to warn tailgaters to vacate because a tornado was on the ground heading towards the stadium and people just ignoring it to keep partying.

Good luck Al. I’m in the edge of the lightest green. The maps I’ve seen for my area are crazy…ND gets dark blue snow while MN gets thunderstorms. So I’m in the pink mixed bullshit.

The worst will be the brutal cold that’ll follow for a few days. Hope the power can hold up for you.

A local meteorologist I follow on FB is usually the “don’t believe the weather terrorist, it’ll be bad but not doomsday”!type..says this shit is about to get real

c205e5d4a999020133a07a07fc5b0dd8.jpg

We aren't supposed to have truly brutal cold on the back side of this in my area.  Highs well into the 20's at it's worst.

I'm a volunteer fireman and tornado spotting is one of our standard duties.  I'd imagine we'll be spotting tonight.  I can guarantee we've never gone tornado spotting in December.

Our chief just sent out a text about the storms tonight.  That has never happened before.

Really hoping this goes the way of every majorly hyped storm in my life and ends up being less than advertised.  Our worst storms seem to come nearly out of nowhere and the ones they predict to be terrible tend to be less so.

Our chief just sent out a text about the storms tonight.  That has never happened before.
Really hoping this goes the way of every majorly hyped storm in my life and ends up being less than advertised.  Our worst storms seem to come nearly out of nowhere and the ones they predict to be terrible tend to be less so.

I think every one is hyper aware after last week. I hope nothing comes from the storms tonight as well.

I think every one is hyper aware after last week. I hope nothing comes from the storms tonight as well.

So this shit is obviously pretty foreign to those in the great north.

Are tornados more dangerous if you’re going from 60-70 degrees down to the 20s vs what we normally see in the summer which is upper 80s to the 60s? Is that why the one traveled 200 miles last week?

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There's a video somewhere of the ISU police trying to warn tailgaters to vacate because a tornado was on the ground heading towards the stadium and people just ignoring it to keep partying.

What do you expect when you guys keep blowing that goddamn tornado siren all the game long?  

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So this shit is obviously pretty foreign to those in the great north.

Are tornados more dangerous if you’re going from 60-70 degrees down to the 20s vs what we normally see in the summer which is upper 80s to the 60s? Is that why the one traveled 200 miles last week?

Tornadoes may be more dangerous because no one is expecting them in December, but the bigger issue of 60s-to-20s is cold temps plus power outages. 

56 minutes ago, Hate said:

And meanwhile, there is a Fire Weather Warning as well.  Fortunately, there isn't really a whole lot to burn through most of the warning area. 

day1otlk_fire.gif

Uh, might want to check your grasslands cornhole bud!  That pink section in the panhandle in OK and most the SW chunk in Kansas is all dried grasslands and crop stalks.  It's been dry there.  And windy as fuck.  And they've had unseasonably warm weather, and it's sunny as hell there right now.  Not a great mix, particularly since there's many areas around there with no fire prevention for hours in any direction.

And yes, I have spent a disturbingly large portion of time out that way over the years.  This time of year too because of the condition of the farms/fields in the growth cycle is doubly concerning.   

Tornadoes may be more dangerous because no one is expecting them in December, but the bigger issue of 60s-to-20s is cold temps plus power outages. 

Right…but we’ve never seen 60s to 20s up here and spawn tornados in December.At least I haven’t. We’ve all been in tornado warnings that are in July and august and think nothing of it besides watching it from the front door or garage

Just now, Hate said:

I meant much in the way of human habitat. Obviously there is quite a bit of flammable materials there.

Yeah, humans are flammable as well.  ;)  

Reminds of a time driving out there with my FIL.  Came upon this house that looked it had been nuked by a drone strike.  He was pontificating if it had been the result of a brush fire from the dried crop pasture out the back (had been windy and hot as hell that year).  He ruled out electrical and arson, just not possible out that way he felt.  I suggested it was a rural meth lab that blew up.  He wasn't having it, no way decent folks out that way would get mixed up in the drug trade...had to be a brush fire that somehow spread to the homestead.  Well, I cheated..."DEA CRIME SCENE" notice nailed to what was left of the front door was my big clue.  

But watch out for dried crop fires just to be sure.