2021-2022 Winter weather thread for non-Texans

Parliament

On 12/27/2021 at 9:18 AM, otisdog said:

Ha! Currently 13 degrees 212 miles north of Portland on the sound. Won't break freezing for another 4 days. Snowed 6 inches on Christmas, but clear as a bell now. Happy I took the time to split some of my bucked maple before the holiday cheer was uncorked.

Still getting snow and ice?

18 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Still getting snow and ice?

6" last night, but the temp is up 20 degrees or so. Thaw is supposed to start  Saturday. But the county doesn't plow down here on the south end of our island...lots of ice on the road, and numerous vehicles upside down in the ditches.

Just spent 2 hours digging out the cars, shoveling mine and a couple of older neighbors walks and watching the plow truck re bury my drive way twice. Snow was wet and heavy AF.  In a town where snowstorms routinely underperform, catching a surprise 10 inches in the DMV was sorta annoying. 

which is definitely not what South Austin’s mom said. 

Edited by Bateshorn

Dear sweet Mother Nature:

Morale: low. Decided to have school despite 35 mph winds, -40 wind chill and drifts on streets 2 ft high. The troops are getting fed up and it’s not even half way through January . Send some of this shit south to Al in Iowa. He needs something to do during non harvest months.

Your dearest

Sgt. FUKM

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Looks like your degree meter is low on warming oil.

To be fair, that temp was from New Years weekend.  It has warmed up to a tropical 35 below zero.

Christmas weekend we received 28 inches of snow.  I'd honestly rather have the deep cold.  Deep cold means no snow.  We had 47 inches of snow in December.  I have 3.5 miles of road to plow to get to the highway from our cabin.  There is absolutely no where to put any more snow.  Going to have to rent a front end loader when it warms to make some room for the Spring snows.  This Winter has been a challenge.

Man, I was asleep at the wheel last couple of days.  Wife talked to her parents in Western KS.  (-)2 degrees there and getting worse, though some reprieve on the way by midday Saturday.  Then she talked to my mom just outside Chicago, 5 degrees with windchill but about to get colder.  Here I am dicking around putting the last faucet covers again tonight.  Y'all stay safe up there.  

Al's snow purgatory reminded me of those days in January.  Accumulation wasn't quite there yet, but there was enough to make getting around a pain in the ass, some slush as cars beat through piles, some drifts would start farther outside the city, wind really starts picking up in January, just not a fucking thing to do but fucking stare outside and bear it.  The other sad part about Christmas being over in Illinois was mid January-to-mid February was just a shitfest for weather.  Even though the days were longer, it seemed darker longer with all that cloud cover.  Socked in damp, bitterly cold bullshit for about 6 of the worst fucking weeks of your life.  But somehow we always made it.  I guess because we had to.  And the human race marches on towards a burning inferno....happy Epiphany everyone!  ;)

It hadn’t occurred to me to be at all concerned about the storm about to hit the east coast, and I can’t imagine that we’ll have problems here in the Raleigh area that sitting tight for 24 hours won’t fix. Either way, I’ve got a fresh box of Lucky Charms and I’m ready for snow.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:00 PM, UT_OB1 said:

What in the fuck?  Where do you live and why are you still there?  Antarctica?  60 below doesn’t even compute in my brain. Do you leave your house when it gets that cold?

I live in Denali, Alaska.  I live here mainly because of the natural beauty of this place.  It also affords one a lot of freedoms not readily available in the lower 48 anymore.

I know you won't believe me, but when properly dressed 60 below isn't as bad as you think it would be.  I'm not saying that it's not fucking cold, because it most definitely is, but you acclimate to it pretty quickly.  

Extreme cold is just part of life here.  Businesses stay open, schools don't close, people get up and go to work, outdoor chores must be done.  The worst part of the cold is water pipes and septic systems freezing up for most people.  My wife and I live dry (no indoor plumbing) so the worst part for us is taking a shit at 60 below in the outhouse.  Let's just say you don't dilly dally.  

6 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

I live in Denali, Alaska.  I live here mainly because of the natural beauty of this place.  It also affords one a lot of freedoms not readily available in the lower 48 anymore.

I know you won't believe me, but when properly dressed 60 below isn't as bad as you think it would be.  I'm not saying that it's not fucking cold, because it most definitely is, but you acclimate to it pretty quickly.  

Extreme cold is just part of life here.  Businesses stay open, schools don't close, people get up and go to work, outdoor chores must be done.  The worst part of the cold is water pipes and septic systems freezing up for most people.  My wife and I live dry[ b] (no indoor plumbing)[/b] so the worst part for us is taking a shit at 60 below in the outhouse.  Let's just say you don't dilly dally.  

You had me then you lost me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Parliament said:

You had me then you lost me.

Let me continue to increase the distance...

My wife and me and the dog live in a 400 square foot one room log cabin with no electricity either.  Old School we call it.  Oil lamps for light.  No battery system or other off the grid shit they sell these days.  Our only heat source is a wood stove.  We burn about 8 cords of wood during a typical winter.  We try to cut, split, and stack 10 cords of wood during the spring/summer because you can never have enough fire wood.  My wife grows a plentiful garden during the summer that we live off of in the winter by canning.  We hunt moose and caribou and grouse for the vast majority of our protein.  The only meat we buy regularly is bacon and the occasional beef rib eye.  She likes to go fishing for salmon and halibut.  Our main expenses are gasoline for the generator and propane for the cook stove.  Simple and so fucking cheap.  The plan is to stay up here for another 10 years or so and bank as much as we can then find something on the Pacific coast of Mexico and spend the golden years in shorts and sandals as ex-pats.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

My wife and me and the dog live in a 400 square foot one room log cabin with no electricity either.  Old School we call it.  Oil lamps for light.  No battery system or other off the grid shit they sell these days.  Our only heat source is a wood stove.  We burn about 8 cords of wood during a typical winter.  We try to cut, split, and stack 10 cords of wood during the spring/summer because you can never have enough fire wood.  My wife grows a plentiful garden during the summer that we live off of in the winter by canning.  We hunt moose and caribou and grouse for the vast majority of our protein.  The only meat we buy regularly is bacon and the occasional beef rib eye.  She likes to go fishing for salmon and halibut.  Our main expenses are gasoline for the generator and propane for the cook stove.  Simple and so fucking cheap.  The plan is to stay up here for another 10 years or so and bank as much as we can then find something on the Pacific coast of Mexico and spend the golden years in shorts and sandals as ex-pats.

I don’t even know where to start. 400 sqft?  When you’ve been snowed in for 7 days, how do you escape one another?  How have you not murdered her?  How do we know she hasn’t murdered you and is posting as you?

Your whole post:

ryan reynolds hd GIF

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

What kind of occupation do you have that allows for marathon wood chopping and making bank?

I've been watching a youtube channel of a young couple who live off grid in AK near Willow.  They pretty much grow all their food and hunt and fish for their protein.   Amazing that they can keep raising chickens in that kind of weather.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3FHvW16m_i117IqPnb0nmA

Edited by davidg

22 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

1 -- during the coldest period, what is the interior temp of your cabin?

2 -- man, when it's at its worst.....I'd shit in a bucket inside, close it tightly, and then later, when I am fully dressed for the cold, go dump the contents into the outdoor shitter.  And as a guy, I presume you piss in a bucket or something and just take it out and dump it into the outhouse periodically.  Privilege of being male and all that.

2 -- man, when it's at its worst.....I'd shit in a bucket inside, close it tightly, and then later, when I am fully dressed for the cold, go dump the contents into the outdoor shitter.  And as a guy, I presume you piss in a bucket or something and just take it out and dump it into the outhouse periodically.  Privilege of being male and all that.

I never gave much thought to a wood stove until we stayed in a cabin in Montana. We started a fire in the wood stove in the living room before bed. Our room was 2 bedrooms down from it. Around 2AM it was so fucking hot I had to open a window and let in some 10 degree air. I couldn’t believe how much heat that thing put out.
  • Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

35 minutes ago, davidg said:

I've been watching a youtube channel of a young couple who live off grid in AK near Willow.  They pretty much grow all their food and hunt and fish for their protein.   Amazing that they can keep raising chickens in that kind of weather.

[csb]About ten years ago, I had a project up there in Matsu and drove up to Talkeetna. About where Willow is, there was a big ol' Ford LTD looking car with couple of Grizzly Adams types putting a giant roadkill caribou (maybe deer) in their blue tarp-lined trunk.[/csb]

That and Felony Acres near Wasilla made quite the impression about off-the-grid lifestyles in Alaska. More power to you guys.

39 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I don’t even know where to start. 400 sqft?  When you’ve been snowed in for 7 days, how do you escape one another?  How have you not murdered her?  How do we know she hasn’t murdered you and is posting as you?

Your whole post:

ryan reynolds hd GIF

As you can probably tell, I don't have the typical wife.  She was a teacher.  It was her job that got us up here.  We lived modern for the first 2 years, but then we got the off the grid bug and went feral as my friends back home in Texas call it.  Living in 400 sq ft has taught us a lot about each other.  We strive for peace in our relationship above all else.  She is my best friend and my partner.  We hunt together.  She won't pull the trigger, but she's my skinner (because of her unlimited patience) and she's not afraid to get bloody when it comes to helping me gut the critters we live off of.  She is a demon with a chainsaw.  In fact, she cuts the majority of wood we burn.  We are a very good team.  She was the typical Texas girl.  She wouldn't leave the house without lipstick on, but she has embraced this life and probably digs it more than I do.  She is the cabin bitch now, a nick name she loves and wears with pride.

As for why, I'm living my Grandfather's dream.  He used to take me elk hunting when I was young.  He would always wax poetic about Alaska around the campfire.  How he always regretted not seeing it and living off the grid in the woods.  It stuck with me and I found a woman who was willing to give it a try.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I replied to Brisket, but it didn't show up for some reason.

57 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1--It's usually around 75 or so in the cabin.  As Cooter mentioned, wood stoves put out a lot of heat.  Even at 40 to 50 below we have a window cracked to let in some cold air.  It's pretty easy to keep 400 sq ft warm.

2--Those are called honey pots.  Neither of us has had to use one due to sickness or age.  You just get bundled up and head to the outhouse.  You get used to it.  As for pissing, we have a designated piss spot away from the cabin.  I hang my wang out and she squats no matter the temperature.