2021-2022 Winter weather thread for non-Texans

Parliament

It's going to be nearly 50 this weekend and the little bit of snow we have left will melt.

Then we're supposed to get 3-9" of snow on Monday/Tuesday and the temps to go back in the 20's for the foreseeable future.  So that means we'll get the 3", it won't melt, and it won't be substantial enough to ski or snowmobile.  

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's going to be nearly 50 this weekend and the little bit of snow we have left will melt.

Then we're supposed to get 3-9" of snow on Monday/Tuesday and the temps to go back in the 20's for the foreseeable future.  So that means we'll get the 3", it won't melt, and it won't be substantial enough to ski or snowmobile.  

We were 60 yesterday and I played golf. 6-9" of snow today with 20-30 mph N. winds. Back into the 40-50 range for the weekend. Whatchagonnado?

36 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

We were 60 yesterday and I played golf. 6-9" of snow today with 20-30 mph N. winds. Back into the 40-50 range for the weekend. Whatchagonnado?

See, I'd take that.  You'll get that shit melted off.  Our stupid snow won't amount to enough to enjoy, but will stick around for 10-14 days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Sorry if it sounded like I was complaining. I'll take any moisture we can get right now. It is as dry as any winter that I can remember and I've seen a few. Just pointing out what a roller coaster it has been this year.

No need to apologize, I'd just take your weather over mine at the moment.

We're on the dry side, but it's not crazy.  We've been hanging out in "mild drought" status for a while now, which frankly as a farmer and mountain bike enthusiast is pretty fucking decent.  Our soil can handle significant drought, and I've been getting a lot of rides in the past couple of summers.

2 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

8 feet of snow and counting.  It's supposed to snow another foot through the weekend.  This shit has to stop soon.  Oh, and it was 35 below this morning.  Toughest winter we've ever had.

This might sound like a stupid question, but how does it keep snowing when it's that cold?  When we get below about 10 degrees, the snow shuts down completely.

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Dinner last night with some business friends.  One guy flew in from Buffalo.  Talked about how weird the snow patterns can be.  How in one instance, half the city got multiple feet of snow, and the other virtually none? 

I'd believe that.  We see it with rain all the time.  Last summer we had a farm that got 1" of rain between planting and harvest, and had another farm 2 miles away that got 6-7" of rain in that same window of time.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This might sound like a stupid question, but how does it keep snowing when it's that cold?  When we get below about 10 degrees, the snow shuts down completely.

It snowed about a foot over the last 2 days.  Stopped snowing, sky cleared, temps plummeted from 20 above to 35 below.  Supposed to cloud back over and start snowing again tonight through Sunday for at least another foot of accumulation.  It doesn't snow much if the temp gets below zero, but it's been a weird winter.  So far I've seen it snow at least twice below 20 below zero.  That shit ain't supposed to happen.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2022 at 3:58 PM, Kennythetiger said:

We’re the opposite- three days of highs in the teens, and 70* next week. 

We're a less extreme version of this.  20's the next 2 days and 60's next week with overnight lows above freezing.

A whole band of snow moved way to the south of us.  KC/StLouis getting it I think.

23 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

Another 10 inches of snow last night.  Temps are going to drop below zero again next week.  It's the never ending winter.

When would you normally start to come out of it?

I sort of figured Alaskan winters stretched into May with regularity.

59 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

When would you normally start to come out of it?

I sort of figured Alaskan winters stretched into May with regularity.

March is usually the beginning of the end.  Sunlight noticeably comes back, which usually brings the temps above freezing and the big thaw starts.  There are always a few random below zero nights here or there, but it's supposed to be below zero for highs next week.  That's unusual.  The big problem is the snow.  We typically get 3 feet of snow during the winter.  A heavy year is 4 feet.  We've had 12 feet of snow this year.  It's going to be an epic breakup followed by an equally epic mosquito year this summer with all the water that is going to be around. 

2 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

March is usually the beginning of the end.  Sunlight noticeably comes back, which usually brings the temps above freezing and the big thaw starts.  There are always a few random below zero nights here or there, but it's supposed to be below zero for highs next week.  That's unusual.  The big problem is the snow.  We typically get 3 feet of snow during the winter.  A heavy year is 4 feet.  We've had 12 feet of snow this year.  It's going to be an epic breakup followed by an equally epic mosquito year this summer with all the water that is going to be around. 

I can't even compute this shit.

Damn, that is wild.

9 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I can't even compute this shit.

Damn, that is wild.

I’m having a hard time computing it myself. One of the damndest things I’ve ever seen. There is literally no where else to push or pile any additional snow. It’s like living in a rat maze. 

But what I’m really interested in is how much water there’s going to be when it melts. It won’t dry out until July. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Spring is officially here.  We finally had a 24 hour period where a freezing temp wasn't recorded in the area.  I didn't hear the exact number off the radio but it was well over 200 days with a freeze.  Supposed to have highs in the 50's all week, which has given us snow melt warnings.  Never seen those before.  I guess it's testament to the amount of snow we had this winter.  There is still 4 feet of snow on the ground and the pussy willows are blooming.  It's about to get very wet around here.  Mud season approaches. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...