Dion Sanders Prime Candidate for Frogs Gig

Landomatic

Deion Sanders squarely in the mix for TCU football job, source says

Deion Sanders has put himself squarely in the mix to become TCU’s next coach, a source close to the university’s selection committee told the Star-Telegram on Tuesday.

Sanders had his first interview with TCU officials on Monday, sources said, and impressed. One source went as far as saying Sanders is expected to make the cut for the second round of interviews.

“I’m not saying he is going to get the job, not saying he’s the leading candidate at this point,” the source said, “but he is in the mix. He was impressive.”

Along with Sanders, other candidates who have emerged in recent days include Iowa State’s Matt Campbell, Louisiana’s Billy Napier, SMU’s Sonny Dykes and Clemson offensive coordinator Tony Elliott.

TCU casted a wide net since parting ways with longtime coach Gary Patterson on Oct. 31. Others who were on the initial list included Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore and UTSA’s Jeff Traylor, both of whom are no longer considered candidates.

TCU’s selection committee consists of athletic director Jeremiah Donati and deputy athletics director Mike Sinquefield as well as board of trustees members LaDainian Tomlinson, Eddie Clark and Hunter Enis.

Tomlinson and Sanders have a history together as both are Pro Football Hall of Famers who worked as analysts on the NFL Network. Both reside in the DFW area, too, appearing together at football camps and other functions.

Sanders, 54, is in his second season at Jackson State, which sits at 8-1 and atop the SWAC standings going into its game at Southern on Saturday in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Sanders has missed the past three games with an undisclosed health issue but the work he’s done in bringing national attention and highly ranked players to Jackson State has not gone unnoticed.

That’s why he’s being viewed as a candidate for jobs such as TCU. Sanders rebuilt Jackson State in a short time period and signed the highest-rated recruiting class in FCS and HBCU history in 2021.

Sanders has built a solid staff at Jackson State, including Dennis Thurman as defensive coordinator and Jason Phillips as offensive coordinator. Like Sanders, Thurman has ties to Tomlinson as both crossed paths with the New York Jets. Tomlinson finished his playing career with the Jets in 2010-11 while Thurman was the defensive backs coach.

TCU officials could be intrigued by the type of impact Sanders would have on the recruiting front. Even though his playing career ended in 2005 — including a stint with the Dallas Cowboys from 1995-99 when they won Super Bowl XXX — Sanders remains a household name.

“He’s a guy who has the ability to get in any door,” a source said. “I don’t care if you’re getting recruited by Alabama or Ohio State, he is going to get in the door.”

In the new age of college athletics with players being able to profit off their name, image and likeness and the impact of the NCAA’s transfer portal, Sanders would bring publicity and buzz to a program that feels it’s in position to contend immediately.

No candidate would generate more attention for TCU than Sanders.

There would be questions about Sanders’ infamous Prime Prep Academy, which closed in 2015 amid controversy including financial mismanagement. The school had campuses in Dallas and Fort Worth.

But, since the Prime Prep debacle, Sanders went on to become the offensive coordinator at Trinity Christian — Cedar Hill in 2017 before taking over at Jackson State.

These days, Sanders is known for what he’s been able to accomplish at Jackson State. The question is whether he could translate that success to a higher level such as the Big 12 and TCU.

Some influential voices within TCU circles strongly believe he can and should be a prime candidate for the job.

“In this generation of college football with the NIL and transfer portal, what person would understand it better than Deion Sanders?” a source said. “The ability to get in the room with some of these big-time kids and get them to possibly come to TCU is what he would bring.

“He’s invested a lot of time learning how to become a head coach. I think he’s more than qualified for this position.”

Donati has said he’d like to have the next coach in place by early December with the early signing period for the 2022 recruiting class starting Dec. 15.

They'd fired a school legend with a fucking statue on their campus for Deion Sanders after a season and a half (last year's covid short season) in the FCS? How stupid of a decision would that be. I mean he might end up being good, but it's rare that a start NFLer becomes a great college football coach, and you'd think he needs a few more years to prove himself, including at a G-5 FBS school first. But I guess everyone is looking for the next big time coach out of nowhere.

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

We are 4-5 and on a 4 game losing streak, wtf do we have to lose 

Aside from three more games, you mean?

In all seriousness, while I agree he’d kill it on the recruiting trail (or would he?)- I think it takes more than recruiting prowess to beat the OU’s and soon the Bama’s, LSU’s & UGA’s of the world…and hell, even the current form of aTm- who as much as I hate to admit would wipe the floor with this poor Texas team😠😡🤬.

If we just had more dawgs!!! (alright you’ve talked me into it, bring on Neon Deion Prime Time Sanders…wtf do we have to lose)

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, 'stache said:

They'd fired a school legend with a fucking statue on their campus for Deion Sanders after a season and a half (last year's covid short season) in the FCS? How stupid of a decision would that be. I mean he might end up being good, but it's rare that a start NFLer becomes a great college football coach, and you'd think he needs a few more years to prove himself, including at a G-5 FBS school first. But I guess everyone is looking for the next big time coach out of nowhere.

No offense, but once Texas and OU leave, TCU and the rest of the new Big 12 are pretty much G-5 schools. So, not that big of a leap honestly.

Deion once made me take a picture with him. I just wanted a handshake and meet him, but he says, “No, you don’t want just a handshake. You want a picture. (Grabs me by the shoulder and spins me around as his assistant takes my phone) See? This is better than a handshake.”

He was super nice and a great guy, but the picture still makes me laugh. 

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Deion once made me take a picture with him. I just wanted a handshake and meet him, but he says, “No, you don’t want just a handshake. You want a picture. (Grabs me by the shoulder and spins me around as his assistant takes my phone) See? This is better than a handshake.”

He was super nice and a great guy, but the picture still makes me laugh. 

We’ll post it so we can all laugh with you

• Hook 'Em 1

I legit think that dude would kill it on the recruiting front. Whether he can handle all of the other tasks of being HC, or would bother adhering to whatever "regulations" remain in the college game is anyones guess. He also strikes me as the kind of guy that could get involved embroiled in a huge scandal at any moment. Would likely be a spectacular trainwreck, but until the wheels came off, it wouldnt surprise me to see him outrecruit Sark and Jimbo with little effort. 

Edit - Not outrecruit in the sense that he would have the highest recruited class in Texas, but out recruit for a handful of guys that you would be surprised would choose TCU over Texas and Texas A&M. More of a pain in the ass you wouldnt expect. 

Edited by Blotto

Deon seems like the kind of guy that just wants to make sure his name is in the papers/twitters every couple months.  Does he really want to be a head coach at a p5(ish) team or does he just want to be the head  “everyone look at me I’m on TV, yea coach prime time here” honcho? 
but then again if he recruits good coaches and players then who knows.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Does he have some recruiting gift I don't know about.  He hasn't been a relevant player since before any current college student was born.  

He just signed the highest rated FCS class in history at Grambling Mississippi Christian State or whatever. And has them 8-1 right now (they were 3-8, 5-5 and 4-8 the 3 years before he got there). So, yeah, he may have some chops.

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

No offense, but once Texas and OU leave, TCU and the rest of the new Big 12 are pretty much G-5 schools. So, not that big of a leap honestly.

The new version of the Big 12 currently has five teams (42% of the league) ranked in the top 25, including two in the top 10.

No offense, but good luck with Kansas this week.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I swear we are the worst fan base in cfb

Nah, just people like him, Dipshit Dennison, and Regarded-man. 😎

4 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

We’ll post it so we can all laugh with you

Efforting but it may be on a previous computer/phone, but I emailed it to some friends and they are looking for me. 

Edited by Droopy

Uh, I used to live a couple of houses down from him while he was with the Falcons.
You get him out of the bullshit Prime Time persona, and he is a good guy. Participated in all the neighborhood bullshit and was generous with his time. Kids loved him.

But, coach at a large university? Man, I got to see that. He still has a lot of kid in him. You will never confuse him for Morgan Freeman. 

• Hook 'Em 1