Contractors, Permitting, City of Austin, and You

Interested in hearing about experiences regarding contractors and permitting for smaller projects that technically need a permit. Specifically, looking to get windows replaced. Same size, just get rid of the old single pane windows. This is supposed to be permitted.

Didn't think to ask the first bid, but the second one (reputable, highly-rated, local company) said it would be several hundred dollars extra to do the permit and frankly, didn't seem that excited that I asked. Also said that it would require inspection and the inspector can call out anything -- not even related to the windows.

One issue I do have is that a window is too high in one room. I'm fairly certain it is a code violation.

Anyone have any insight? Is pulling a permit going to mean I have to reframe an entire window? And/or will they are going to see something unrelated and turn into a mess?

3 minutes ago, BottleRocket said:

I’m replacing our windows - no changes in size, number, or location. Contractor pulling COA permit and said City will do a final inspection including fire inspection checking smoke alarm compliance or some such bullshit.

Can I ask who you are using? Any issues with code compliance that you might have? Have a window with a sill that's 48" high. Code says 44" is the max it can be for egress. Don't know if I'd be grandfathered in or what.

The window reg. for height, etc. has to do with egress in case of a fire.  Don't want it too high so that someone cannot get out of the room (although I guess a high window in a bathroom, they figure you have access to water?  Can't figure that one out).

A common (related) problem with a garage conversion to living space is not all garages have a 2nd door other than into the main house & again... in case of a fire, you are limited on how you will escape.

As an answer to your question, I have nothing to add here.

Wow you need a permit to replace an exterior door?  DId not know that.  As someone mentioned above the inspector will jack with you about smoke alarms and stuff.  When we had our AC and furnace replaced, we had to get a couple of carbon monoxide detectors installed.

Did you have to have a permit for ac replacement? Had mine replaced a few years ago and don’t remember needing a permit in Austin