Question about bitcoin, etc

covid 19

1 hour ago, covid 19 said:

I clearly know nothing about virtual currency.  But, if I had 20k I was willing to risk, is there a way to buy this stuff in a fund without having to get a wallet and all the passwords?   Thanks

If you want exposure to BTC without a wallet just buy this through your existing investment account:

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GBTC?p=GBTC

8 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

If you want exposure to BTC without a wallet just buy this through your existing investment account:

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GBTC?p=GBTC

Agree with this. Some investment accounts don’t allow purchase of gbtc though. If that’s the case you can just buy MSTR. They own over 100k bitcoins and basically trade in line with the BTC price. 

Here's a question I can't readily find an answer to.  Four years ago, I'd bought a bit of Bitcoin and Ethereum. This was when we were all going to get rich on crypto back on shaggy and then it all promptly went down the shitter.  Anyway, I logged on to Coinbase last week and bought some Ethereum on a whim.  I was just browsing around and under my account, I have 4 old crypto addresses listed.  These don't show up under assets in my Coinbase account. Is there any chance there's some money in there? How to I get those to show up in my assets list? When I click on them, it just copies the address to clipboard. How do I actually view what's in them and if there's something there, how do I access it?

12 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Here's a question I can't readily find an answer to.  Four years ago, I'd bought a bit of Bitcoin and Ethereum. This was when we were all going to get rich on crypto back on shaggy and then it all promptly went down the shitter.  Anyway, I logged on to Coinbase last week and bought some Ethereum on a whim.  I was just browsing around and under my account, I have 4 old crypto addresses listed.  These don't show up under assets in my Coinbase account. Is there any chance there's some money in there? How to I get those to show up in my assets list? When I click on them, it just copies the address to clipboard. How do I actually view what's in them and if there's something there, how do I access it?

if those are just addresses you need the password and a wallet app to access them. that will allow you to send to an address supplied by coinbase which puts it in your coinbase account. 

edit: when i get back home i'll poke around in my coinbase account and see if it's kept any sort of log of sending addresses. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, elfenix said:

if those are just addresses you need the password and a wallet app to access them. that will allow you to send to an address supplied by coinbase which puts it in your coinbase account. 

Thanks. Just downloaded the Coinbase Wallet and scanned the QR codes and they were all empty. I guess I'd cashed them out years ago. I was hoping I had some forgotten money.