Shooter reported at Santa Fe, Texas school

South Austin

2 minutes ago, elfenix said:

santa fe may be southeast of houston but it is definitely east texas.

Geographically, maybe.  I mean it's SE Texas.   In terms of culturally, it's more gulf coast than east Texas.  It's more Galveston and less Jasper. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

So sorry to bring you down.

Maybe we can cheer you up with 1) More dead kids who were just going to class! 2) More doing not a goddamned thing about it! 3) More denial and insisting that this is fine, wadda ya gonna do?!  Would that help?

Monotonous posting about shit that is broken as fuck, has been broken as fuck, and will remain broken as fuck, is not monotonous posting -- it's ACCURATE posting about an unfortunately monotonous SUBJECT.

You want denial, rainbows, and sunshine?  I'm not sure where you should go for that.  Maybe ignore reality and look at some funny animal vids.  Those often crack me up.

Project your silliness onto me all you like if it improves your maudlin day, dufus. I've positioned around nothing here other than you being a beating to read.

My real view beyond that is that you're legitimately emotionally unstable and I hope you're seeking help for it. I see your droning of whatever new thing has drawn your high and mighty ire on this board and when I don't roll my eyes and click away, I honestly think to myself that you've got mental issues that could be putting yourself and loved ones in danger. Before you project what's going on inside of you to the rest of us, do the responsible thing and take care of your own housekeeping first. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Ldogg53 said:

But we never got bombed and neither did our parents.   Sure there have been a couple of school bombings in history, but nothing like the frequency of school shootings.  Kids today get to see the school shootings on the news monthly. 

That's a fair point, but remember we did actually come very close to nuclear war a time or two. Didn't some Soviet refuse to launch missiles because he suspected one of their systems was malfunctioning? So it's not like there wasn't any actual threat at all. One missile would have been all it took to make the threat from school shootings look trivial in comparison.

41 minutes ago, Ldogg53 said:

We got an email from school admin 2 weeks ago that they were doing active shooter/emergency drills at my kid's school.  She's in 2nd grade and told me about how they have closets to run and hide in.  This bullshit will be their new normal.  

Schools have to do it by law. One a semester. It’s actually been going on a long time but anxiety is really high right now for obvious reasons. We have one schedule for next week and will make it as painless and not scary as possible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ldogg53 said:

Geographically, maybe.  I mean it's SE Texas.   In terms of culturally, it's more gulf coast than east Texas.  It's more Galveston and less Jasper. 

Dude, don't you know everyone in Texas not from Austin is a racist gun nut?

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

I just pulled it from the NPR article.  Was not cherrypicking.

I know you didn't cherry pick, which is why I quoted the article.  And possibly the writer didn't cherry pick either and had good reason to use those two years, which is why I said "seemingly random."  But that data doesn't seem to persuasively support the notion that we're in an era of fewer school shootings.  I'd like to see more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

That's a fair point, but remember we did actually come very close to nuclear war a time or two. Didn't some Soviet refuse to launch missiles because he suspected one of their systems was malfunctioning? So it's not like there wasn't any actual threat at all. One missile would have been all it took to make the threat from school shootings look trivial in comparison.

Threat that never happened.  Unlike the regular school shootings that are practically live-streamed for the world to see.   There is a massive difference between reality and possible reality.

21 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

totes normal...

We're only 20 weeks into 2018, and there have already been 22 school shootings where someone was hurt or killed. That averages out to more than 1 shooting a week.

The parameters CNN followed in this count are:
  • A shooting that involved at least one person being shot (not including the shooter)
  • A shooting that occurred on school grounds
  • We included grades K through college/university level
  • We included gang violence, fights and domestic violence
  • We included accidental discharge of a firearm as long as the first two parameters are met

Not that I don't think something more should be done. But including those last two bullet points goes against anything close to what I would consider a "school shooting" and just muddies the waters. If you want change be upfront and honest don't cherry pick numbers to make your side of the argument look better. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

They're actually between Houston and Galveston lol. 

But yeah, reading news coverage, I haven't seen any actual reports of people injured. Just lots of adults scrambling and clutching pearls and scaring kids without anything actually happening. CNN is pushing it as the lead story without any confirmed reports and they're talking to a mom that's freaking out because of what she saw on the news. 

Fucking news is whipping everyone into a frenzy before there's any real confirmation just because they know it gets clicks and eyeballs. 

For fucks sake, there's a Life flight and paramedics there for what may be much Ado about nothing. It's so goddamn frustrating

I'm a piece of shit and spoke before information was in. My apologies and I'll try to do better. Tragedies shouldn't be made light of.

I get where you're coming from here, but you need to realize that "fake news" from the likes of CNN is itself fake. Fake news definitely exist (cf Facebook feeds), but ... Let's just say that those who still remain faithful to Trump and his blather aren't going to be rewarded for their loyalty.

Please tell me how safe our schools are:

A couple of years ago, the Academy for Critical Incident Analysis collected data on school violence around the world. They took a broad look at incidents where someone was killed, or a murder was attempted, and charted every one that had two or more victims. (Researchers left out "single homicides, off-campus homicides, killings caused by government actions, militaries, terrorists or militants." So, incidents like this one, where a U.S. airstrike in Syria accidentally hit a school and market and killed 30, are not included.)

Between 2000 and 2010, the recorded 57 incidents in 36 countries.

Half of those incidents — 28 — occurred in the United States.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Schools have to do it by law. One a semester. It’s actually been going on a long time but anxiety is really high right now for obvious reasons. We have one schedule for next week and will make it as painless and not scary as possible.

Did not realize it was a law.  And frankly I don't think it's a bad idea, but man it's a sad statement as to where we are. 

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

The actual quote in the article you posted is this:

So the rate of .15 per million isn't really "now" or over a time frame of the past few years.  It's comparing two school years, 1992-93 and 2014-15. 

I'm not doubting the point Johnny Sack and the story he quotes are making, but would be interested to see the numbers over a longer time period in the 1990s v. recent past rather than picking two seemingly random years. 

Yeah, those are two weird years to pick out. Was the article written in 2015? Lotta shit has happened since then.

1 minute ago, Dark Horse said:

Please tell me how safe our schools are:

A couple of years ago, the Academy for Critical Incident Analysis collected data on school violence around the world. They took a broad look at incidents where someone was killed, or a murder was attempted, and charted every one that had two or more victims. (Researchers left out "single homicides, off-campus homicides, killings caused by government actions, militaries, terrorists or militants." So, incidents like this one, where a U.S. airstrike in Syria accidentally hit a school and market and killed 30, are not included.)

Between 2000 and 2010, the recorded 57 incidents in 36 countries.

Half of those incidents — 28 — occurred in the United States.

I question whether you can get good data in most countries on school violence.

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

unreal how Columbine is burned in our head...but yes, its not even top 10. 

I remember thinking at the time that Columbine was different - there had been school shootings before, well publicized, but Columbine got to me in a way they didn't. In retrospect I think it's because it was the first of the type of shooting Brisket is talking about. It embodied the nihilism and cruelty of society coming out in our kids. Since then there have been any number of similar shootings - maybe some of them are copycats, maybe they're just manifestations of the same pathology and would have happened anyway. But it felt like an inflection point at the time, and still does.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I question whether you can get good data in most countries on school violence.

And you sure as shit can't get it in the US because the gop/nra eliminated all funding for gun violence research and in many cases made laws to make the tracking of gun violence much harder.

Blood on their hands

Edited by Loco
  • Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

49 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

There were multiple victim shootings when I was in school in the 90s.  And they weren't all gang violence.  Again, the odds of getting shot and killed in schools are 3x less than they were 25 years ago.  But I can guarantee you 98% of our population believes students are 3x more likely to be shot and killed compared to 25 years ago.

It is because there is a hell of a lot more media coverage plus social media and everyone has a cell phone that can record video.

It would be nice if people and the media would maybe give more publicity to the pretty significant increase in safety that has been made on school campuses.

What is your source on the 3X less likely today than 25 years ago?   If valid, it raises an interesting discussion for how we are perceiving/viewing various issues today with the current proliferation of information....probably best for a new thread.  These kids and their families merit their own.

2 minutes ago, ABSR said:

What is your source on the 3X less likely today than 25 years ago?   If valid, it raises an interesting discussion for how we are perceiving/viewing various issues today with the current proliferation of information....probably best for a new thread.  These kids and their families merit their own.

https://news.northeastern.edu/2018/02/26/schools-are-still-one-of-the-safest-places-for-children-researcher-says/

1 minute ago, ABSR said:

Still doesn't change anything...  even *if* true, it still leaves the status quo as a gaping fucking hole of oppurtunity for improvement and saving kids...  no reason not to act and act quickly

2 minutes ago, ABSR said:

It has been posted on this thread several times.  It's an article showing a school shooting casualty rate (death rate? can't remember) dropping from 0.55 per million kids to 0.15 million kids between 1992-ish and 2015-ish.

1 minute ago, TornACL said:

We breed individual cowards who think this is a solution to their problems because we're a nation of cowards will continue to argue about this on the internet, while continuing to do nothing about it.

I think something will eventually be done but it’s going to take a while because most people don’t even acknowledge the problem and the people currently in position to do something are fucking cowards.

As far as solutions go, we need more preemptive mental health counseling in our schools, we need to increase awareness of the early warning signs of violent extremism, we need to talk to each more in general about topics that make us uncomfortable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ABSR said:

Its not valid.  Its complete bullshit.  He's attempting to conflate overall gun homocides with schoolground gun homocides.  Overall gun homocides, like all violent crimes, have decreased significantly.  School shootings are much higher, however.  Pre-Columbine, school shootings were a rarity.  Gang violence was higher, but typically occurred outside of school.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

It has been posted on this thread several times.  It's an article showing a school shooting casualty rate (death rate? can't remember) dropping from 0.55 per million kids to 0.15 million kids between 1992-ish and 2015-ish.

Not to belabor the point, but the data in the article isn't "between" 1992 and 2015.  It's just two years, 1992-93 and 2014-15.  Maybe there's an article that uses data in every year from 1992 to 2015, but I haven't seen it.  I'm not saying the ultimate conclusion is wrong, but the data used raises questions.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wasn't it just a snapshot of those 2 years and not an actual trendline? 

Of course would like to know total #s vs population increase etc...

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

I get where you're coming from here, but you need to realize that "fake news" from the likes of CNN is itself fake. Fake news definitely exist (cf Facebook feeds), but ... Let's just say that those who still remain faithful to Trump and his blather aren't going to be rewarded for their loyalty.

I'm not a trumper or a fake news person. Honestly. Please don't confuse my frustration with coverage of gun violence with thinking that all news (or news that I don't like) is fake. I fucked up in making the posts that I did and I deserve to get shit on for it, but please don't let that post be the only thing you base your opinion of me off of.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I just read that a student that noticed the shooter pulled the alarm.  

I don't know if that's a good action to take to get students on alert and alert the fire department. Or if it's a bad action as most students, I think, would exit their classrooms and possibly be easier targets for the shooter. Just don't know.

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Not to belabor the point, but the data in the article isn't "between" 1992 and 2015.  It's just two years, 1992-93 and 2014-15.  Maybe there's an article that uses data in every year from 1992 to 2015, but I haven't seen it.  I'm not saying the ultimate conclusion is wrong, but the data used raises questions.

Wasn't trying to infer otherwise. 

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I'm not a trumper or a fake news person. Honestly. Please don't confuse my frustration with coverage of gun violence with thinking that all news (or news that I don't like) is fake. I fucked up in making the posts that I did and I deserve to get shit on for it, but please don't let that post be the only thing you base your opinion of me off of.

hyI9ItE.gif

The 24 hr news cycle and social media continue to sensationalize this shit and kids being fucked ups as they are latch onto it...

i haven’t moved fully into the ban everything camp yet, but am getting close.  Some people shouldn’t even have access to a butter knife, so how the fuck does a kid get access to guns?  I “owned” guns growing up, but they were in my parents locked safe and I only had access under supervision...

there are far too many idiots in America for us to have nice things....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I think something will eventually be done but it’s going to take a while because most people don’t even acknowledge the problem and the people currently in position to do something are fucking cowards.

As far as solutions go, we need more preemptive mental health counseling in our schools, we need to increase awareness of the early warning signs of violent extremism, we need to talk to each more in general about topics that make us uncomfortable.

I blame everyone for this, not just our so-called "leaders" but citizens as well (myself included).

That our culture shrugs its shoulders and thinks this is just an unavoidable side effect of life in America is a travesty and a national embarrassment.

• Like 5