Shooter reported at Santa Fe, Texas school

South Austin

22 minutes ago, Jograves said:

Wish they'd give it a break with interviewing these kids. They're obviously scared. 

yeah its bad.

1.5 hours after the incident occurred a news 11 reporter asks a crying girl. "i know this may be early, but what is next for you? for this school? for this community?". LMAO. 

sucks to hear of multiple fatalities. very sad. poor kids and teachers in America are going to have PTSD from this. really. i can't imagine this isn't just leaving a huge emotional set of problems on anyone who is in a school as a student or teacher

Just now, staboner said:

yeah its bad.

1.5 hours after the incident occurred a news 11 reporter asks a crying girl. "i know this may be early, but what is next for you? for this school? for this community?". LMAO. 

sucks to hear of multiple fatalities. very sad. poor kids and teachers in America are going to have PTSD from this. really. i can't imagine this isn't just leaving a huge emotional set of problems on anyone who is in a school as a student or teacher

If you're a kid in high school these days, it's pretty much impossible NOT to think of each day as another round of russian roulette.  Is today the day you hear bang instead of click?  Nobody knows -- have a good day, kids!

We are a completely broken country, full of broken people.  

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

This is where we are.  Children's bodies aren't even cold and there are guys literally on the scene not to help but for PR.

1 minute ago, crackamacgowski said:

Through the looking glass.

And yeah....these...

This is where we are, people.  This is who we are.  I truly don't see how anyone can have any hope for this country any longer.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 4

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Exactly. There's kids saying they heard a shot but there's no confirmation from police or authorities that it was anything more a car backfiring or a pallet being dropped. Kids are so whipped up into a frenzy that they'll think any loud noise is a gunshot. It's getting ridiculous

I just want to chime in to point out what a piece of shit you are.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And yeah....these...

This is where we are, people.  This is who we are.  I truly don't see how anyone can have any hope for this country any longer.

WTF are you serious? You don't have HOPE in the country?

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And yeah....these...

Why do you say this.  NPR of all places ran a pretty compelling story that school shooting fatalities have not increased the last couple decades?  There is more media coverage, for sure.   But unless NPR's article is incorrect, schools are just as safe as they've always been.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/593831564/the-disconnect-between-perceived-danger-in-u-s-schools-and-reality

he Parkland shooting last month has energized student activists, who are angry and frustrated over gun violence. But it's also contributed to the impression that school shootings are a growing epidemic in America.

In truth, they're not.

"Schools are safer today than they had been in previous decades," says James Alan Fox, a professor of criminology at Northeastern University who has studied the phenomenon of mass murder since the 1980s.

Fox and doctoral student Emma Fridel crunched the numbers, and the results should come as a relief to parents.

First, while multiple-victim shootings in general are on the rise, that's not the case in schools. There's an average of about one a year — in a country with more than 100,000 schools.

"There were more back in the '90s than in recent years," says Fox. "For example, in one school year — 1997-98 — there were four multiple-victim shootings in schools."

Second, the overall number of gunshot victims at schools is also down. According to Fox's numbers, back in the 1992-93 school year, about 0.55 students per million were shot and killed; in 2014-15, that rate was closer to 0.15 per million.

"The difference is the impression, the perception that people have," Fox says — and he traces that to cable news and social media. "Today we have cell phone recordings of gunfire that play over and over and over again. So it's that the impression is very different. That's why people think things are a lot worse now, but the statistics say otherwise."

Other experts agree. Garen Wintemute is an emergency room physician who leads a prominent gun violence research program at the University of California, Davis. He says school shootings, specifically, are not epidemic.

"Schools are just about the safest place in the world for kids to be," Wintemute says. "Although each one of them is horrific and rivets the entire nation for a period of time, mass shootings at schools are really very uncommon, and they are not increasing in frequency. What's changed is how aware we are of them."

But Wintemute believes mass shootings — whether in schools or elsewhere — are increasing social pressure to address the far more common threat of small-scale shootings, which mostly happen in private.

"For school-age kids, the kind of shooting we most need to worry about is the kind of shooting that occurs off the school grounds," Wintemute says. "The best way to prevent school shootings is to prevent shootings in general."

He endorses broader gun safety measures, such as "red flag" laws, which give authorities the ability to remove firearms temporarily from people deemed to be threatening violence to themselves or others.

Wintemute and Fox say that by focusing so narrowly on school shootings, we run the risk of turning schools into fortresses. Fox says, given the statistics, it's misguided to put kids through metal detectors and active shooter drills, and he doesn't like the new calls for armed teachers.

"Most adults wouldn't want their workplaces to look like what some of the schools are looking like, now," Fox says.

But the perception of danger puts school administrators in a difficult position.

Marysville Pilchuck High School, about an hour north of Seattle, has experienced the tragedy of a shooting, and the statistical rarity is no comfort.

On Oct. 24, 2014, a freshman shot five other students in the cafeteria, killing four, before killing himself. Ever since, administrators have struggled to restore the students' sense of safety.

"Probably, every day it pops into your head at one time or another," says acting district superintendent Jason Thompson. "You think, 'Okay, we've had our shooting,' right? It's human to think that way. But I think a lot of times for me, it's like, 'This could happen again.'"

For the last three years, the district has wrestled with how to make schools safer, without going overboard. Local voters defeated a bond levy which would have remodeled the open-style campus into a more secure, single-entrance configuration. So the school remains very open. There's a new security camera, a security guard near the entrance, and visitors are told to wear a badge on campus, but there are no new fences or metal detectors.

Greg Dennis, who runs security for the district, says it's hard to reach consensus on what precautions to take.

"From a parent's perspective, they say, 'Holy cow, why aren't we doing this? Why aren't we building prisons, why aren't we building moats?'" Dennis says. "And the next person says, 'We can't do that! This is public property, you have to make it accessible, how do we use the playgrounds on the weekend?'"

Without the money to rebuild the school, administrators have opted to emphasize training and preparedness. They try to think tactically — for instance, since the shooting in Parkland, they've been reconsidering how to conduct fire drills, to make kids less of a target to potential attackers as they leave their classes.

But Marysville staffers also try to keep the risk in perspective. Dennis says he tries to learn security lessons from other shootings, but he doesn't want to obsess about them.

Madysen Pruss, who's part of a federally-funded counseling program at the school, says that's also her message to students when another shooting is in the news.

"We talk about how it's publicized through social media," Pruss says. "So it makes the threat feel greater than it is."

This year's seniors were freshmen when the shooting happened, so this is the last class that still has memories of the incident. Senior Olivya Cerdinio is one of a group of students who organized the school's observance of the 1-month milestone since the shooting in Parkland.

"I'm like kind of done being sad about it, and I'm just really mad about it, and I want to make a change," she says.

But it's shootings in general that she's mad about — not school shootings in particular.

"It's not dangerous because of how schools are," Cerdinio says, "but because a shooting can happen anywhere. It's more about gun availability."

• Like 1

My point is not based on the raw numbers of shooting deaths.  It's based on the pure randomness and nihilism of the recent types of school shootings.

Shot at school because the shooter and you are members of rival gangs?  Absolutely still tragic, but it's a crime with SOME sense of causation and purpose.

These shootings?  Pure nihilism, infliction of pain and death for the sole purpose of inflicting pain and death.  And before, you could generally avoid a school shooting (most often connected to other criminal activity) by avoiding other criminal activity.  For example, don't be involved in gangs or the drug trade, and you're not likely to be a victim of related violence.

In these cases, the solution is....what, don't go to art class, where folks got shot today?

Put yourselves in the shoes of a kid in high school right now, today.  Is today the day someone shows up and mows you down?  Who knows -- maybe yes, maybe no.  That's no way to fucking live.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Stros said:

WTF are you serious? You don't have HOPE in the country?

Why would I?  It's full of people like you, the guy in the video, fucked up people who shoot up schools, and millions who make sure that we don't do a goddamned thing to keep it from happening again, and again, and again.

We're broken, selfish, cruel, nihilistic fucks.  Redemption is both beyond us, and more than we deserve.  Keep negging me for pointing that out, IDGAF.  Your reflexive negative action actually only further makes my point.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

My point is not based on the raw numbers of shooting deaths.  It's based on the pure randomness and nihilism of the recent types of school shootings.

Shot at school because the shooter and you are members of rival gangs?  Absolutely still tragic, but it's a crime with SOME sense of causation and purpose.

These shootings?  Pure nihilism, infliction of pain and death for the sole purpose of inflicting pain and death.  And before, you could generally avoid a school shooting (most often connected to other criminal activity) by avoiding other criminal activity.  For example, don't be involved in gangs or the drug trade, and you're not likely to be a victim of related violence.

In these cases, the solution is....what, don't go to art class, where folks got shot today?

Put yourselves in the shoes of a kid in high school right now, today.  Is today the day someone shows up and mows you down?  Who knows -- maybe yes, maybe no.  That's no way to fucking live.

There were multiple victim shootings when I was in school in the 90s.  And they weren't all gang violence.  Again, the odds of getting shot and killed in schools are 3x less than they were 25 years ago.  But I can guarantee you 98% of our population believes students are 3x more likely to be shot and killed compared to 25 years ago.

It is because there is a hell of a lot more media coverage plus social media and everyone has a cell phone that can record video.

It would be nice if people and the media would maybe give more publicity to the pretty significant increase in safety that has been made on school campuses.

• Fuck You 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Why would I?  It's full of people like you, the guy in the video, fucked up people who shoot up schools, and millions who make sure that we don't do a goddamned thing to keep it from happening again, and again, and again.

We're broken, selfish, cruel, nihilistic fucks.  Redemption is both beyond us, and more than we deserve.

and yet these same broken, cruel, selfish, nihilistic group of people managed to all rally around the countries 4th largest city being 40 inches underwater.  you were there you saw the good that was done.

Im starting to seriously worry about your health Brisket, this constant posting that the country is fucked is not a normal fucking attitude.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If you're a kid in high school these days, it's pretty much impossible NOT to think of each day as another round of russian roulette.  Is today the day you hear bang instead of click?  Nobody knows -- have a good day, kids!

We are a completely broken country, full of broken people.  

We got an email from school admin 2 weeks ago that they were doing active shooter/emergency drills at my kid's school.  She's in 2nd grade and told me about how they have closets to run and hide in.  This bullshit will be their new normal.  

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

There were multiple victim shootings when I was in school in the 90s.  And they weren't all gang violence.  Again, the odds of getting shot and killed in schools are 3x less than they were 25 years ago.  But I can guarantee you 98% of our population believes students are 3x more likely to be shot and killed compared to 25 years ago.

It is because there is a hell of a lot more media coverage plus social media and everyone has a cell phone that can record video.

It would be nice if people and the media would maybe give more publicity to the pretty significant increase in safety that has been made on school campuses.

The odds of a RANDOM student, not otherwise involved in any activity that would make that student at risk for violence, what are those odds?

Because that's the psychological warfare being inflicted on high school kids right now.  You can argue it till you're blue in the face, it won't change that fact.  I have two high school kids, I know them and their peers.  This sort of event -- the world of "maybe tomorrow is the day I bleed out on the floor of my algebra class" -- IS their reality.  It's a reality that's there, at all times.  It's a helluva way to live.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

The odds of a RANDOM student, not otherwise involved in any activity that would make that student at risk for violence, what are those odds?

Because that's the psychological warfare being inflicted on high school kids right now.  You can argue it till you're blue in the face, it won't change that fact.  I have two high school kids, I know them and their peers.  This sort of event -- the world of "maybe tomorrow is the day I bleed out on the floor of my algebra class" -- IS their reality.  It's a reality that's there, at all times.  It's a helluva way to live.

The baby boomers were all scared they were gonna get nuked hiding under their desks. So it isnt entirely unprecedented.

2 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

and yet these same broken, cruel, selfish, nihilistic group of people managed to all rally around the countries 4th largest city being 40 inches underwater.  you were there you saw the good that was done.

Im starting to seriously worry about your health Brisket, this constant posting that the country is fucked is not a normal fucking attitude.

I've come to conclude that decency and kindness are our state only when spurred by extremes.

Cruelty and selfishness is our baseline.  Showing up at a school as the blood is still pumping out of dying bodies to wave a flag and chant Make America Great Again is who we really are.  Recent years have done an excellent job of showing us who we really are.

Who we really are is ugly, all the way to the bone.

I hope today isn't the day my kids get a .223 round to the head at school.  Maybe it will be.  Maybe it won't.  What a fun thing to ponder.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Ldogg53 said:

We got an email from school admin 2 weeks ago that they were doing active shooter/emergency drills at my kid's school.  She's in 2nd grade and told me about how they have closets to run and hide in.  This bullshit will be their new normal.  

And we did bomb threat drills, our parent did A bomb drills, its always something

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I've come to conclude that decency and kindness are our state only when spurred by extremes.

Cruelty and selfishness is our baseline.  Showing up at a school as the blood is still pumping out of dying bodies to wave a flag and chant Make America Great Again is who we really are.  Recent years have done an excellent job of showing us who we really are.

Who we really are is ugly, all the way to the bone.

I hope today isn't the day my kids get a .223 round to the head at school.  Maybe it will be.  Maybe it won't.  What a fun thing to ponder.

We all have fears.  But they should be placed in perspective.  A kid is about 15 times more likely to get killed in a school bus accident than he is to die in a school shooting.  It's like worrying about your commercial airplane flight but not the drive to the airport.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 8

Just now, 4th&Five said:

this sucks...more prayers needed apparently.

Don't forget the thoughts.  Thoughts AND prayers, they're the peanut butter AND jelly of utterly useless actions.

And to get "close to home," I would not be surprised if one of our fellow posters has a kid at Santa Fe.  Or when the dust clears, more than one of us will know a family affected.  And -- bold prediction -- nothing will change.  Absolutely.  Nothing.  Will change.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Don't forget the thoughts.  Thoughts AND prayers, they're the peanut butter AND jelly of utterly useless actions.

And to get "close to home," I would not be surprised if one of our fellow posters has a kid at Santa Fe.  Or when the dust clears, more than one of us will know a family affected.  And -- bold prediction -- nothing will change.  Absolutely.  Nothing.  Will change.

What change do you suggest?

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I know it's not right, but I sincerely hope that jackass with the pistol on his hip gets flattened by some distraught parent.

I can't see any other reason he would show up there like that other than he's looking for a fight.  Makes no sense.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Exactly. There's kids saying they heard a shot but there's no confirmation from police or authorities that it was anything more a car backfiring or a pallet being dropped. Kids are so whipped up into a frenzy that they'll think any loud noise is a gunshot. It's getting ridiculous

bartolo-colon.gif

• Like 2

We all have fears.  But they should be placed in perspective.  A kid is about 15 times more likely to get killed in a school bus accident than he is to die in a school shooting.  It's like worrying about your commercial airplane flight but not the drive to the airport.

man, I like your posts...but if we're going to play the stupid "play the odds" game in life, when it comes a simple thing of going to freaking school...then lets play. Yes Ill put my mortgage down on my kid making it through 12 years of school without getting killed...doesnt mean Im going to put it down when some other family isn't going to be as lucky.

Fucking sad as hell I have to type that.

I generally agree.

But what we all need to understand is that fear has both logical AND emotional components.

I have little fear that I will suffer a violent death.  I am not involved in criminal activity, my household doesn't have a history of violence or substance abuse.  My risk factors for getting shot are VERY low.  That should reassure me a great deal.  Same with my kids.

But knowing that their GREATEST risk of a violent death is actually during second period Algebra one day, at random, with no warning, cause, or ability to prevent.....that's a psychological terror.  It's an emotional terror.  And it works.  Folks commit acts of terrorism because they WORK.

You can be doing everything right, and your brain still knows that your prospects of living and dying at school look like this:

JGSn.gif

That's fucked up.  And that fucks people up.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

What change do you suggest?

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

Because I have learned the lesson of futility.  There's no point.

We will continue to produce shooters.

We will continue to have the easiest access to firearms in the world, outside of Somalia or somesuch place.

We will continue to offer thoughts and prayers, but resist any potential meaningful change.

The wheel will just keep spinning, constantly....until the times that it stops....

JGSn.gif

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Expect one to two of these per month because our country is beyond fucked up.  Not surprised it’s in Texas either.

Go back the CR douchebag, seriously its bad enough you infect one subforum of this site we dont need your spreading to others

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 3