Shooter reported at Santa Fe, Texas school

South Austin

16 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

There were multiple victim shootings when I was in school in the 90s.  And they weren't all gang violence.  Again, the odds of getting shot and killed in schools are 3x less than they were 25 years ago.  But I can guarantee you 98% of our population believes students are 3x more likely to be shot and killed compared to 25 years ago.

It is because there is a hell of a lot more media coverage plus social media and everyone has a cell phone that can record video.

It would be nice if people and the media would maybe give more publicity to the pretty significant increase in safety that has been made on school campuses.

Oh well, then never mind. Let's not get angry and frustrated about kids getting murdered at school and we don't need to try to come up with a solution.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

There were multiple victim shootings when I was in school in the 90s.  And they weren't all gang violence.  Again, the odds of getting shot and killed in schools are 3x less than they were 25 years ago.  But I can guarantee you 98% of our population believes students are 3x more likely to be shot and killed compared to 25 years ago.

It is because there is a hell of a lot more media coverage plus social media and everyone has a cell phone that can record video.

It would be nice if people and the media would maybe give more publicity to the pretty significant increase in safety that has been made on school campuses.

100% correct. But even police are safer today than at any point ever in US history. More cops were murdered in the 1950s in the line of duty than today but cops believe that they’ve never been in more danger. 

As for this story, I do wish the initial posters were right in Sante fe only being a car back firing.  

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Why would I?  It's full of people like you, the guy in the video, fucked up people who shoot up schools, and millions who make sure that we don't do a goddamned thing to keep it from happening again, and again, and again.

We're broken, selfish, cruel, nihilistic fucks.  Redemption is both beyond us, and more than we deserve.  Keep negging me for pointing that out, IDGAF.  Your reflexive negative action actually only further makes my point.

You're a sick man.

I HOPE our country can figure out how to stop all mass shootings.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I honestly had no idea there was a town in Texas called Santa Fe.  Maybe this is just a ploy from their tourism department.

It's on the way to Galveston if you go south from Highway 6. It's grown a lot in the last 20 years. Parents used to have some land out there.

Just now, Smax said:

Go back the CR douchebag, seriously its bad enough you infect one subforum of this site we dont need your spreading to others

Fuck you, I’m sick of the “thoughts and prayers” bullshit and “there’s nothing we could have done.”

We have a serious radicalization problem in this country (more specifically Texas and Florida) and if we don’t call it out and confront it head on, there will be more of these.

The lone nut gunman bullshit is getting old.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Ldogg53 said:

We got an email from school admin 2 weeks ago that they were doing active shooter/emergency drills at my kid's school.  She's in 2nd grade and told me about how they have closets to run and hide in.  This bullshit will be their new normal.  

Very sad times

totes normal...

We're only 20 weeks into 2018, and there have already been 22 school shootings where someone was hurt or killed. That averages out to more than 1 shooting a week.

The parameters CNN followed in this count are:
  • A shooting that involved at least one person being shot (not including the shooter)
  • A shooting that occurred on school grounds
  • We included grades K through college/university level
  • We included gang violence, fights and domestic violence
  • We included accidental discharge of a firearm as long as the first two parameters are met

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I know it's not right, but I sincerely hope that jackass with the pistol on his hip gets flattened by some distraught parent.

It's East Texas, his buddies will showing up shortly with confederate flags.

2 minutes ago, sachick said:

Oh well, then never mind. Let's not get angry and frustrated about kids getting murdered at school and we don't need to try to come up with a solution.

No one said not to.  But let's also not claim our country is fucked and gone to hell because schools are so dangerous now when they are 3x safer than they were 25 years ago.  Truth, data and facts are good things, freaking out because now we have a lot more news coverage and social media are bad things.

Again, the average American is 100% wrong on the truth about school safety trends over the last few decades.  That ignorance should be remedied so there is less freaking out.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, Smax said:

And we did bomb threat drills, our parent did A bomb drills, its always something

But we never got bombed and neither did our parents.   Sure there have been a couple of school bombings in history, but nothing like the frequency of school shootings.  Kids today get to see the school shootings on the news monthly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stros said:

You're a sick man.

I HOPE our country can figure out how to stop all mass shootings.

hey is depressed, and rightfully so IMO.  i am as well, as are many obviously

the problems we are facing have been with us for a while and we as a society are too broken to communicate and implement any meaningful change. 

• Like 1

Just now, staboner said:

hey is depressed, and rightfully so IMO.  i am as well, as are many obviously

the problems we are facing have been with us for a while and we as a society are too broken to communicate and implement any meaningful change. 

See the emphasized text.

There is no concept of the common good, only selfishness.  We are 350 million individual islands, not a single community.  We can't even agree on goals and ideals, much less actions and paths forward.  We stand on the first space of the game board, frozen, unable to take any positive action, as the game goes on all around us in horrific fashion.

We are a broken culture, broken society, with a broken government that reflects those components.

And every one of us knows that there will be another thread like this at the top of the board -- the only question is "when."

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

No one said not to.  But let's also not claim our country is fucked and gone to hell because schools are so dangerous now when they are 3x safer than they were 25 years ago.  Truth, data and facts are good things, freaking out because now we have a lot more news coverage and social media are bad things.

Again, the average American is 100% wrong on the truth about school safety trends over the last few decades.  That ignorance should be remedied so there is less freaking out.

Im interested why you keep saying schools are safer now than they were in 1993. what went on in the early 90s that is worse than whats going on now?

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Im interested why you keep saying schools are safer now than they were in 1993. what went on in the early 90s that is worse than whats going on now?

I posted the article in this thread.  School shooting deaths were .55 per million in 1992-93 and now are .15 per million.

• Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, SameSame said:

I can't see any other reason he would show up there like that other than he's looking for a fight.  Makes no sense.

He's looking for something like this:  

*Captain MAGA shows up to school shooting with pistol on his hip*

Parents:  "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING YOU FUCKING FUCK?"

Police:  *Pull guy walking around with a gun at a crime scene aside to ask a few questions*

Captain MAGA:  "Help!  I'm being oppressed!"  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

I posted the article in this thread.  School shooting deaths were .55 per million in 1992-93 and now are .15 per million.

You're not wrong. But perception has a way of making us humans behave in certain ways. So it rings a bit hollow to just say (not you but thematically), " Oh school shootings aren't actually that high! It's all OK or what can we do?!"

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

population increase has to have some impact on that number?

As for the comment about our society incapably of having adult discussion on issues, identity politics ...

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Fuck you, I’m sick of the “thoughts and prayers” bullshit and “there’s nothing we could have done.”

We have a serious radicalization problem in this country (more specifically Texas and Florida) and if we don’t call it out and confront it head on, there will be more of these.

The lone nut gunman bullshit is getting old.

Was the gunman Muslim because I'll only get triggered if he's Muslim. Otherwise, multiple rounds of prayers and condolences to everybody involved fixes everything.  

Edited by Mdhorn

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I think we can all agree that you are a beating to read.

I'm beginning to cheer for the day in which you cast yourself from the second story spiral staircase in your back yard shouting something like "goodbye broken world!" and break your hands as you land below, hopefully landing on Huge Stiglitz in the process and taking one of his shoulders out as well. With that, we'd all get a vacation from your pedantic monotonous posting for a couple of weeks, at least.

Username checks out

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Well we already passed the death total from the 90s this decade despite being millions more kids, with a  whole year and a half to go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The actual quote in the article you posted is this:

According to Fox's numbers, back in the 1992-93 school year, about 0.55 students per million were shot and killed; in 2014-15, that rate was closer to 0.15 per million.

So the rate of .15 per million isn't really "now" or over a time frame of the past few years.  It's comparing two school years, 1992-93 and 2014-15. 

I'm not doubting the point Johnny Sack and the story he quotes are making, but would be interested to see the numbers over a longer time period in the 1990s v. recent past rather than picking two seemingly random years. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm beginning to cheer for the day in which you cast yourself from the second story spiral staircase in your back yard shouting something like "goodbye broken world!" and break your hands as you land below, hopefully landing on Huge Stiglitz in the process and taking one of his shoulders out as well. With that, we'd all get a vacation from your pedantic monotonous posting for a couple of weeks, at least.

So sorry to bring you down.

Maybe we can cheer you up with 1) More dead kids who were just going to class! 2) More doing not a goddamned thing about it! 3) More denial and insisting that this is fine, wadda ya gonna do?!  Would that help?

Monotonous posting about shit that is broken as fuck, has been broken as fuck, and will remain broken as fuck, is not monotonous posting -- it's ACCURATE posting about an unfortunately monotonous SUBJECT.

You want denial, rainbows, and sunshine?  I'm not sure where you should go for that.  Maybe ignore reality and look at some funny animal vids.  Those often crack me up.

• Like 1

Just now, YChang said:

You're not wrong. But perception has a way of making us humans behave in certain ways. So it rings a bit hollow to just say (not you but thematically), " Oh school shootings aren't actually that high! It's all OK or what can we do?!"

Perceptions can be changed with facts.  When I flew my first time as a kid I was certain I might have a 50-50 shot of surviving the flight.  There had been a couple bad plane crashes on the news, and I had watched the coverage.

My parents then showed me how many flights there were per day, week, month, and per year in the USA that made trips without incident.  And they pointed out the tv is not going to cover the millions of flights that land safely.  I was still a little nervous going on that first flight, but having the actual facts helped quite a bit.

It would be nice if our media actually did its job and spent a little bit of focus on facts like the NPR article I cited.  It would help some with the terror if American adults did not wrongly think that school shootings have massively increased since they were in school.  It would help more if we all knew the odds of dying in a school shooting were very low and much lower than they were 25 years ago (when the parents of today's youth went to school).

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The best post in the history of Surly.  

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

'Murica

just be glad he pulled that flag out of the bed of his truck and not the other one he's got flying from the other side.

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You need a map. It's a Houston suburb. I'm near downtown right now and I could normally get there in 30 minutes.

santa fe may be southeast of houston but it is definitely east texas.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don't know these facts but I think you're correct that basically America is a much safer place today than in the 90s, or really any time.    However I do think that we see much larger shootings today than before.   Columbine is still one of the larger school shooting but it doesn't rank near the top of mass shootings like it did at the time.   For whatever reason, we are seeing extremely large mass shootings like never before.   It's sad but Houston was probably due for a major shooting in the area.  

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

Perceptions can be changed with facts.  When I flew my first time as a kid I was certain I might have a 50-50 shot of surviving the flight.  There had been a couple bad plane crashes on the news, and I had watched the coverage...

Yep, don't disagree with you. I don't have the answers either... but it's also not as easy or enough where just presenting facts will trump perceptions. Our brains are weird like that. 

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Well we already passed the death total from the 90s this decade despite being millions more kids, with a  whole year and a half to go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

That list is not exhaustive.  There was a shooting at my high school where a kid was killed in 1992 that is not on there.

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

The actual quote in the article you posted is this:

So the rate of .15 per million isn't really "now" or over a time frame of the past few years.  It's comparing two school years, 1992-93 and 2014-15. 

I'm not doubting the point Johnny Sack and the story he quotes are making, but would be interested to see the numbers over a longer time period in the 1990s v. recent past rather than picking two seemingly random years. 

I just pulled it from the NPR article.  Was not cherrypicking.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't know these facts but I think you're correct that basically America is a much safer place today than in the 90s, or really any time.    However I do think that we see much larger shootings today than before.   Columbine is still one of the larger school shooting but it doesn't rank near the top of mass shootings like it did at the time.   For whatever reason, we are seeing extremely large mass shootings like never before.   It's sad but Houston was probably due for a major shooting in the area.  

unreal how Columbine is burned in our head...but yes, its not even top 10. 

10 minutes ago, gecko said:

We should just delete this thread and subject.  I think it's pretty obvious none of us are mature enough to have a conversation about this.

The ones that are have been the high school kids, but they have been attacked for sharing their thoughts by right wing idiots 

DdfWSphUQAEqmz4.jpg

Thoughts & prayers y'all!

• Like 3