Texas @ Gonzaga, 9:30 CT on ESPN2

shadow_operative

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Should be a super 6 man right?

Beard is clearly making him earn playing time which I get but yeah I'd like him in our 7 or 8 man rotation. He oozes talent - especially in creating his shot and scoring around the rim. 

Unfortunately we are just so damn deep - who does he take minutes from? Ramey? AJ? 

Just now, Knoxtnhorn said:

Any positives to take from the game?

Texas was getting whipped from about halfway through the first half and down 20ish until maybe 12 mins left in the 2H? They fought hard and got it to 10-11 points a few times but Gonzaga just kept answering and played really good ball for the most part. 

The main positive that I saw is this is an extremely well coached team. They are also deep and can shoot and defend. Unfortunately our size got abused a lot inside.

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Is this one of the worst nights ever in Longhorn sports history?

Lose at home to 1-8 Kansas in football while giving up 57 points AND show some promise but inevitably be on about 2 full levels below the top ranked team in basketball and get blown out on the road. 

Well perhaps somebody will come clean with a 2021 take on the "Diary of a Texas Fan" 

6:00 Arise, play the Eyes of Texas and Texas Fight at full-freaking blast

6:20 Get in car, drive to New Braunfels

7:30 Tee off (me and a buddy were the FIRST tee-time of the morning)

8:50 Turn 9 (crack open first beer)

• Hook 'Em 1

I was at the Stars game and didn't get a chance to watch.  Any positives to take from the game?  I'm not upset about a 12 point loss, on the road, to #1 considering this is the 2nd real game for a bunch of guys that just started playing together.

They kept fighting … they corrected some things in game … they won the 2nd half… Allen and askew played well… it was a good early season crash course in the level of play we will need to put on the court to beat a top 10 team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

I’ve seen him play enough to see his strengths and weakness and just disagree with you as to his nba readiness … I wish him well. He has a role if he puts in the work and is able to gain some weight and endurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think he’s a post player…

4 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I was at the Stars game and didn't get a chance to watch.  Any positives to take from the game?  I'm not upset about a 12 point loss, on the road, to #1 considering this is the 2nd real game for a bunch of guys that just started playing together.

Looks like our great defense in the first 2 games was more physical than fundamental, but I think Beard will coach that. 

Our offense looked like it could actually function, instead of doing nothing for 13 seconds before lobbing up a shitty three like we saw with Shaka's teams. Honestly I thought the offense looked pretty good in the 2nd half. Just couldn't stop them on defense. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Beard is clearly making him earn playing time which I get but yeah I'd like him in our 7 or 8 man rotation. He oozes talent - especially in creating his shot and scoring around the rim. 

Unfortunately we are just so damn deep - who does he take minutes from? Ramey? AJ? 

Sucks to say and maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think AJ should be taking mins from hardly any of the guards. 

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Not angry about this loss at all.

I don’t know why, but it make me more stoked for the season.  I just feel with Beard in charge, we will actually learn something from this.  It will be a positive. 

Yeah I wasn't mad about this at all. I didn't watch the first half because of our shit fuck ass football team, but the 2nd half they looked like they still wanted it. We're a brand new team that hasn't played anyone vs a loaded vet team at home and we won the 2nd half. A ton of positives from this. 

11 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

12 points doesn't look bad but when you realize it was a 15-20 point beating for almost the whole game and Gonzaga was "playing with their food" for the most part. We were never in that game. Any time Gonzaga saw it get to 10-12 they just turned it up and it was 18 quickly again. 

We hoped we were closer than we are. Luckily we have a guy who has a certain set of skills in turning shit like this around. 

I thought about seeing this game because I wanted to do some fishing out around Spokane and I thought seeing the Zags in person would be cool. I couldn’t get Friday off so I had to scrap that trip for now. Hopefully can make it out there to see them play at some point this year. They are the most fun team in the college ranks to watch when their offense is clicking. 

10 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

From an outsider's perspective, it wasn't really as close as the score indicated, but lots of positives. Classic Beard second half, never quitting, always feels like you're in the game if you can string together a few stops, just didn't really happen tonight with Gonzaga's offense being a pretty well oiled machine and on their home court. 

I saw a lot of things with the offense that caused regular complaints among Tech fans over the last couple of years, but all fixable depending on how well your players respond/learn to play with each other later on down the road. Defense is suffering a little from a lack of real rim protection (also a common complaint the last couple of years), not as much physicality as I was expecting (except for some heroic efforts by the veterans on the team), but most issues are fundamental and fixable with coaching/gelling/buy-in/etc.

I wouldn't be upset with the result at all, it could have been much worse. Like I said earlier, it won't happen overnight. Be patient, enjoy the ride, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's a patchwork put together roster with a lot of small program transfers.  There's no way in hell it should have been ranked #5 and talked about as title contenders preseason. We're probably a top 15 to 25 team right now with a chance to get better and do some damage in March. Probably 3rd or so in conference. 

• Fuck You 1

We actually outrebounded them, including 13 offensive rebounds. Good reversal from the HBU game.

Odd struggle on the pick and roll defense. Bad double team technique.

Started 1 of 10 from 3, but finished 8 of 14.

Plenty to be proud of and work on. Great early season game.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's a patchwork put together roster with a lot of small program transfers.  There's no way in hell it should have been ranked #5 and talked about as title contenders preseason. We're probably a top 15 to 25 team right now with a chance to get better and do some damage in March. Probably 3rd or so in conference. 

You are so fucking stupid it's amazing. "Small program transfers" like a first team all Big10 and first team all P12 transfer? Plus a top 30 fucking HS recruit from KENTUCKY? 

With probably a top 5 coach in the country? 

Shaka fucking Smart finished 3rd in the B12 last year with a slightly worse roster and won the B12 tourney. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Nearly an entirely new roster. Going to take a little time gel- which will come with conference play. Was a tough task to take on the #1 ranked national runner up on the road with same coach and most of the same players from last season. Would love to see them again at a neutral site in the post season.

With some of their shit fans getting their goat. Wanna see that.

58 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You are so fucking stupid it's amazing. "Small program transfers" like a first team all Big10 and first team all P12 transfer? Plus a top 30 fucking HS recruit from KENTUCKY? 

With probably a top 5 coach in the country? 

Shaka fucking Smart finished 3rd in the B12 last year with a slightly worse roster and won the B12 tourney. 

Utah, Minnesota, Creighton, Umass...

The Kentucky kid is the backup pg and needs to develop. He left Kentucky because the stage was too big for him at this age. 

There's definitely talent there, but not immediately a top 5 team in the country type of talent. We're undersized and need a lot of work on defensive rotations and positioning. It's going to take a lot of time and the team isn't anywhere near top 5 right now. 

Stop being a cunt. Talk to me with civility. 

Edited by Hermanator

ok, wow. just got caught up on this shmashmortion of a thread. the Texas fans in this thread put on a performance on par with our football team tonight.

•we have no size, we have no chemistry, it's our second game together, Disu is out, and we're playing against the best team and best player in the country, on the road in a hostile environment, and before the game it's all, "We're going to win!" "Texas wins 88-83!" "I'm going to wager money on Texas!"

•fast forward like 15 minutes and you guys are all like, "we suck! the fuck is this?"

•you incessantly shit on Timme, who is awesome

•one if you actually tried to shit on him as a player, which is insane 

•you shit on Holmgren, who is going to be awesome

•you guys argue with each other for a page and half

•you don't know who Fran Fraschilla is

•you realize we aren't as good as you wanted us to be and you're all upset about it

i think pancho, hobbes, and ztejas were the only three voices of reason that i remember seeing throughout these four pages. having realistic expectations and knowing what you're talking about (or at least knowing that you don't know what's what) makes your game day experience so much better. anyone who expected this team to truly compete tonight was completely delusional and likely uninformed. that is the last team in the country that we are going to beat in a November road game like this, and being upset about this game tonight is dumb.

im happy with how this game went. i love how easily Timme was able to score on us as if our guys weren't even there. i love how Gonzaga just lulled their way to a 14-15 point lead and then never let us back in the game. this is all very good stuff for our team to learn and grow from. we have the weakest non-con schedule i can remember us having in decades, so thank god for Gonzaga being there to show us what's what. we now get a month and half to go jell, and grow, and earn that chemistry that we were so clearly lacking tonight.

of our next 11 games, only Stanford and Seton Hall should really have any chance of beating us. we get the next 10 weeks to learn and grow against inferior foes all the way up until the new year when conference plays begins. tonight we were hesitant, we were disjointed, we lacked aggression, and we just straight up got beaten by a better team that wasn't even worried about us. let's see how improved we are in all of those areas by the time we host WVU on New Year's Day; where we are when we go to Lubbock on February 1st; where we are when we end the regular season with Baylor and KU back to back.

this is a process. you don't just throw a bunch of transfers together and then immediately go beat Gonzaga in Spokane. it's about enjoying the growth of this team as the season goes on. it's about learning from tonight, and using tonight's performance as a benchmark for where we are on November 13th, vs where we are heading into the tourney. tonight was perfect, with all the Horns down from the fans, all of the Timme celebrating and gloating, the dominant nature of the Zags' win. i guarantee you this team will be so much better down the road after having gone through this. they won't forget getting whooped like they did tonight- down to a man they're all spent the entire offseason saying that they don't care about minutes, that they all came here to win. we now know how much better we need to be to get there. tonight was a good thing. settle down and enjoy the ride.

• Hook 'Em 9

12 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Creighton

Yeah. Creighton. What a shit program. 

I'm not taking to you with "civility" (btw - you're the one calling me a cunt) - in fact, I'm pretty much done talking to you at all with the basketball acumen you're displaying. 

12 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

He left Kentucky because the stage was too big for him at this age. 

Kentucky was absolute piss last year. They didn't even come close to posting a winning record. Maybe Askew wanted to be on a better team playing for a better coach in a much better city. BTW - B12 is a bigger stage than the SEC. B12 won the national title last year in case you weren't paying attention. 

Edited by ztejas

also, seriously, we need to be better college hoops fans around here. i enjoyed Gonzaga's badass student secretion, i love watching how easy Drew Timme makes it look, i love the way he plays to the crowd, and i enjoyed everything about the game tonight aside from our (predictably disjointed) performance. meanwhile everyone in this thread is whining and bitching about all of it. if you can't enjoy that this isn't the sport for you. 

re: the Zags' student section, i absolutely loved the "ON YOUR FEET! ON YOUR FEET!" chant. they did it and progressively got louder and louder until all of the old folks on the other side of the arena stood up and got loud. that was badass. also, while i agree that the "overrated" chant is inherently stupid, i actually thought it was hilarious coming from fans of the no.1 team in the country. i've never seen that before. never seen the fans of the more highly ranked team do that chant, which  makes it funny to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah. Creighton. What a shit program. 

I'm not taking to you with "civility" (btw - you're the one calling me a cunt) - in fact, I'm pretty much done talking to you at all with the basketball acumen you're displaying. 

Kentucky was absolute piss last year. They didn't even come close to posting a winning record. Maybe Askew wanted to be on a better team playing for a better coach in a much better city. BTW - B12 is a bigger stage than the SEC. B12 won the national title last year in case you weren't paying attention. 

I never said they came from shit programs. Just smaller ones. 

And yeah you started insulting me first so if you can't speak with civility then I'm done with you. Speak to me like you would if we were face to face. And no one speaks to me like this face to face I guarantee you that. 

• Fuck You 4

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Which has nothing to do with success in college basketball. The team that just beat our ass has 5k undergrads and is in the middle of nowhere. 

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Speak to me like you would if we were face to face. And no one speaks to me like this face to face I guarantee you that. 

You know where you are. This isn't a safe space for you to share your shitty, uninformed basketball takes. I'll help you find the door if you need me to. 

21 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Re: the Zags' student section, i absolutely loved the "ON YOUR FEET! ON YOUR FEET!" chant. they did it and progressively got louder and louder until all of the old folks on the other side of the arena stood up and got loud. that was badass. also, while i agree that the "overrated" chant is inherently stupid, i actually thought it was hilarious coming from fans of the no.1 team in the country. i've never seen that before. never seen the fans of the more highly ranked team do that chant, which  makes it funny to me. 

Gonzaga has a great program, but their fans have an absolutely massive inferiority complex with regard to their relationship to P5 programs that dwarfs anything aggy has ever sniffed in their entire existence, it's actually quite remarkable.

I spent a while perusing their message board after we beat them in the Elite 8 and I could not believe some of the shit I was reading, including complaining about how it was unfair that they had to compete against "P5 athletes" when they recruit better than most programs in the country on a yearly basis. It blew my fucking mind, but that's just how they think up there. I would imagine any ranked team that plays there and loses would get the same treatment.

38 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

And yeah you started insulting me first so if you can't speak with civility then I'm done with you. Speak to me like you would if we were face to face. And no one speaks to me like this face to face I guarantee you that. 

Some of the best players in the NBA came from smaller programs. Your point doesn't make any sense.

• Like 1

How about we just play better D - our defense never even slowed him down. Disu would have made a big difference as would much better help defense. When Timme was doubled, the open man would hit his shot and misses by Timme were most often rebounded by Gonzaga. Block-out, hit the boards, double team TImme before he gets to his spot on the floor, play better man defense against Timme.