Today in History...

phdhorn

1535 Sir Thomas More goes on trial in England charged with treason

1776 1st vote on Declaration of Independence for Britain's North American colonies

1898 Theodore Roosevelt and his Rough Riders charge up San Juan Hill

1916 Coca-Cola brings current coke formula to the market

1916 First day of the Battle of the Somme: the British Army suffers its worst day, losing 19,240 men (WWI)

1960 Fidel Castro nationalizes Esso, Shell & Texaco in Cuba

Other than the obvious, the following also occurred on this date:

1802 US Military Academy officially opens (West Point, NY)

1803 The Louisiana Purchase is announced to the American people by President Thomas Jefferson

1826 Past presidents Thomas Jefferson and John Adams both die on the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, President John Quincy Adams calls "visible and palpable remarks of Divine Favor"

1845 Texas Congress votes for annexation to US

1976 Operation Entebbe - Israel rescues 229 Air France hostage passengers In Uganda (3 hostages die along with Ugandan soldiers and Israeli soldier)

Fifteen years ago today:

The 7 July 2005 London bombings, often referred to as 7/7, were a series of coordinated Islamic terrorist suicide attacks in London, England, that targeted commuters travelling on the city's public transport system during the morning rush hour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_July_2005_London_bombings

Watched a good short movie on Amazon Prime, called London River, last night on people seeking missing relatives afterwards.  Starred Brenda Blethyn (Vera, for Brit mystery buffs.)

Lots of timely references to scary black people and the painful tolerance by many whose lives included being discriminated against.

Edited by abuelo gringo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2 Venus and Jupiter in conjunction - possible astrological explanation for Star of Bethlehem

1908 America's Great White Fleet arrives in Sydney, Australia, to be greeted with a tremendous welcome; 221 American sailors desert to remain in Australia (must have been great sex with the locals)

1940 British PM Churchill says of Royal Air Force, "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few"

1961 East Germany begins erecting 5' high wall along the border with the west to replace the barbed wire put up Aug 13

1968 During the night 250,000 Soviet and Warsaw Pact troops invade Czechoslovakia in response to the Prague Spring

2015 30 students at West Point Military Academy are injured in a mass pillow fight

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 8:27 PM, RamjetFDO said:

75 years ago today, WWII came to an end on this spot on the deck of the USS Missouri.

My grandfather was in his B-29 as part of the show-of-power flyover of Tokyo Harbor.cd4868953c5416d7f14d58891ec8c9e8.jpg

My Great uncle was there watching from his ship.  He sent a few letters to my great aunt talking about the experience.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

And today Sec State is meeting the Taliban in Qatar. 

To the person who negged rep me. Don't know why, since my post was an event TODAY IN FUCKING HISTORY. 

Second, if you read the 911 report you would see the irony. Qatar protected the AQ elements before and after the attack. After 19 years are still bombing the wrong people. And before you ask, I spent quite a bit of time in Afghanistan. I know the history, etc so what ever your side is drive by negging is just being a dick. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

33 years ago today - coincidentally also a Monday
if you are old enough to remember - what were you doing, how did you find out (it was pre-internet message boards and online news)

25th Anniversary Black Monday 1987 Crash - The Big Picture

I was driving down Allen Parkway to pick up a couple of new suits, and listening to local news talk. It all seemed crazy and the real panic didn't hit until after the close and they weren't certain that the markets would open on Tuesday, or be able to stay open. The SEC changed some rules, under emergency orders and allowed Companies to start stock buybacks, which were highly regulated at the time.

In comparison that 508 point drop would be over 6,000 at today's market levels for the Dow, over 750 points for the S&P and 2,600 for the NASDAQ; Robinhood and /r/WSB would go fucking crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

50 years ago today - 

As a follow up, some (more?) sad news:

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/2013/10/george_thornton_the_odot_engin.html

I'm not sure how I'd feel about being the "whale explosion guy" for all of my life.

(no note in that obituary as to if he was buried, cremated, or... well... you know)

• 2 weeks later...

The Max Headroom hack of the WGN Channel in Chicago?  

15 years ago to the day that Merkel becomes Chancellor Germany.  Leading to an unprecedented era in the history of Deutschland.  

Also, Vice President Johnson calls in a favor with some friends in the Metroplex law enforcement community.  

November 23rd is St. George's Day (Georgian "გიორგობა" or "the Day of George") in Georgia. As you might have guessed, St. George is the patron saint of the Republic of Georgia.

Located as it is in the Caucasus mountains, Georgia is an ethnic crossroads, with strong Russian, Persian and Turkic influences. Having been ruled at one point or another by the Roman empire, the Khazar empire, the Ottoman empire, the various Russian empires... it is easy to see why the residents of the region would like a central identifying figure to unite them.

That unifying force can be dated to 337 CE when King Mirian III declared Christianity to be the state religion, effectively tying the kingdom of Georgia to the neighboring Eastern Roman Empire, which was really just the remnant of the Roman state which had ruled Georgia for nearly 400 years prior.

St. George himself was a Palestinian citizen of Rome, with a Greek father and Phoenician mother, but born in Palestine... citizen of Rome... call him whatever you want, but as a mutt he makes a perfect symbol for the equally mixed ethnicities of Georgia.

As for how to celebrate the day, you've got your choice: either slay a dragon, or have a nice family get-together and share a plate of chakhokhbili or maybe a bowl of kharcho. The food is essentially a blend of Russian, Turkish, and Iranian influences. And you can tell a "good" Georgian from a "bad" Georgian by how hot the paprika they use is. Fuckin' wusses go with the bland kind.

• 2 weeks later...