Today in History...

phdhorn

9 hours ago, ScottS said:

Bumping this thread to acknowledge the anniversary of the Challenger disaster happening on this date back in 1986.  Still remember being in 6th grade science class and one of the other teachers coming in to tell my science teacher about what happened.

Also a belated remembrance of Apollo 1 (January 27th) and the upcoming anniversary of the Columbia disaster (February 1st).

I always find it amazing that 3 of the biggest disasters in space program history all happened within the same week on the calendar.

Was walking through the lobby of Jester East and saw a bunch of people including my roommate standing watching the TV. He was an ASE major. He just looked at me and said "the shuttle just blew up". I watched for a minute and then went up to my room on the 6th floor, sat down and cried. 

Grew up in FL.  I was in kindergarten and our entire school watched it happen from the PE fields.  You’ve never seen so many teachers try to usher the kids back inside so fast.  It was like a reverse fire drill.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ScottS said:

Bumping this thread to acknowledge the anniversary of the Challenger disaster happening on this date back in 1986.  Still remember being in 6th grade science class and one of the other teachers coming in to tell my science teacher about what happened.

Also a belated remembrance of Apollo 1 (January 27th) and the upcoming anniversary of the Columbia disaster (February 1st).

I always find it amazing that 3 of the biggest disasters in space program history all happened within the same week on the calendar.

I was on the air at KWCS watching a TV we had in studio. I broke in for a TSN news bulletin and when we came out the next song in rotation (we were semi-automated) was Billy Joe Royal - Burned Like a Rocket. We dumped that about 20 seconds into the song.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Grew up in FL.  I was in kindergarten and our entire school watched it happen from the PE fields.  You’ve never seen so many teachers try to usher the kids back inside so fast.  It was like a reverse fire drill.  
I was on the roof of my Margate home with a neighbor as we watched the smoke trail seem to go wrong.
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 12:38 AM, HeHateMe said:

School in Honduras. 5th grade. It was a big event and our class was into it. Watched it live. Heck of a walk home.

On 1/28/2024 at 12:53 PM, ScottS said:

My sophomore year. I was walking across campus to the aerospace building (Woolrich I think?) for class (I was an aero major). As I was walking past the tower, some other student came running across saying something about the space shuttle exploding. I thought it was a joke. I got to the building which was eerily quiet and almost no one was in the stairwells which was odd for 5 mins before class. In the classroom I  found out it was no joke. I don’t remember who told us, but word got around that the professor was cancelling class. Somebody said the he apparently knew a couple of the astronauts. I went over to the student union to watch the news. It was a very sad day. Hell the next few weeks were grim in that building.