Today in History...

phdhorn

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

27 Years ago today, Game 5 of the NBA Finals was interrupted by one Orenthal James Simpson was on his slow motion chase in his White Ford Bronco.  

Wow! I remember watching this with my parents after a Dixie League game (we didn't have LL in my hometown). 

• 2 weeks later...

“A.D. 1284 – on the 26th of June – the day of St John and St Paul – 130 children – born in Hamelin – were led out of the town by a piper wearing multicoloured clothes. After passing the Calvary near the Koppenberg they disappeared forever.”

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20200902-the-grim-truth-behind-the-pied-piper

5DC9B953-4429-479A-B8C0-EABEAC3A276C.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 9:48 AM, BillyGoatHill said:

52 years ago. 

"One small step for man,...."

external-content.duckduckgo-2.jpg

I posted some pics in the 50th anniv thread a couple of years ago, but I have a friend who was on the medical staff for the flight training, he posted a couple of pics yesterday, one of the centrifuge they used for g-force testing and also one from their retrieval practice in the Gulf...  cool stuff

centrifuge.jpg

retrieval.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today in 1942, the Battle of the Coral Sea begins.  It was the first major naval engagement in history in which no surface ships exchanged gunfire.  While a tactical victory for the Japanese forces, most consider it a strategic loss as Allied forces retained control of Port Moresby.  In addition, the damage caused to the Shokaku, and the massive loss of aircrews from the Zuikaku, caused both carriers to be withdrawn from the Japanese naval forces committed to the Midway invasion.  The Battle of Midway might have looked quite different if Fletcher had been facing six carriers instead of four.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

July 4, 1863 - 1.  Vicksburg, Mississippi falls to Union troops commanded by U. S. Grant, cutting the Confederacy in two and greatly complicating Confederate logistics. 

2.  Confederate troops withdraw from Gettysburg, Pennsylvania after being defeated by Union troops commanded by George Meade the previous day, marking the last serious threat of Confederate invasion of the North. 

There was a lot of fighting left before the Confederacy accepted reality, but after July 4, 1863, the final result of the Civil War was set.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Bumping this thread to acknowledge the anniversary of the Challenger disaster happening on this date back in 1986.  Still remember being in 6th grade science class and one of the other teachers coming in to tell my science teacher about what happened.

Also a belated remembrance of Apollo 1 (January 27th) and the upcoming anniversary of the Columbia disaster (February 1st).

I always find it amazing that 3 of the biggest disasters in space program history all happened within the same week on the calendar.

Edited by ScottS
ou sucks
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, ScottS said:

Bumping this thread to acknowledge the anniversary of the Challenger disaster happening on this date back in 1986.  Still remember being in 6th grade science class and one of the other teachers coming in to tell my science teacher about what happened.

Also a belated remembrance of Apollo 1 (January 27th) and the upcoming anniversary of the Columbia disaster (February 1st).

I always find it amazing that 3 of the biggest disasters in space program history all happened within the same week on the calendar.

I was in 5th grade and remember an office lady coming in to tell our teacher.