Home Slice North now open

Michael Knight

Home Slice, the essential Austin pizzeria known for its New York-style pizza, finally opens its North Loop home today at 501 East 53rd Street. As part of the new location, it’ll feature Sicilian square pies, buffalo chicken wings, and a full bar with cocktails. For the following two weeks, it will operate under limited service and seatings until it gets its bearings straight.

https://austin.eater.com/2018/5/16/17361024/home-slice-north-loop-open-pizzeria

Turntable is actually pretty good and since its a different style (Neapolitan) and a different restaurant vibe (more of a bar ... well ... they have a bar), i think it will do ok. House pizza fuckin sucked, Turntable appears to actually know how to use their holdover oven.  I hadn't had homeslice in like 4 years, but went for soft opening and its as good as i remember, and the space is pretty rad. I think the only niche that East side will fit into is single-slice to-go pizza, as homeslice's individual slices are comically small and are double the price of east side's. So if i want a quick slice, i'm getting a larger pepperoni from east side at $2.25. Too many pizza places is a good problem to have. Especially with kids. 

Edited by Bottlecap

13 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

Turntable is actually pretty good and since its a different style (Neapolitan) and a different restaurant vibe (more of a bar ... well ... they have a bar), i think it will do ok. House pizza fuckin sucked, Turntable appears to actually know how to use their holdover oven.  I hadn't had homeslice in like 4 years, but went for soft opening and its as good as i remember, and the space is pretty rad. I think the only niche that East side will fit into is single-slice to-go pizza, as homeslice's individual slices are comically small and are double the price of east side's. So if i want a quick slice, i'm getting a larger pepperoni from east side at $2.25. Too many pizza places is a good problem to have. Especially with kids. 

Turntable doesn't hold a candle to House's pizza. I tried it last night and the pizza came out comically shaped and way too small for a large pizza. The dough was slightly under seasoned and there was not nearly enough of the meat parts of the meat lover pizza. Very meh. 

Not surprising because I think your opinions generally suck,

I remember when people liked House.  Never understood the hype.  It was fine, but the pizza game in Austin is miles ahead of when Mangia was considered elite.  If you're not world class, you better be cheap as fuck or you're not going to survive.

On 5/22/2018 at 5:13 PM, Gourmand said:

Apparently they are not actually NOW open. Not on Tuesdays at least. 

WHAT THE FUCK! You're a popular family friendly pizza joint, you should be open 7 days a week. 

got a pie there monday, was delicious

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...