IYO how long does Sark last  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Numero anos

• He’s gone after KSU
    • End of 2022
    • End of 2023 (3 years like Charlie)
    • End of 2024
    • Finishes contract
    • As long as he wants. He’s turning this around!!

Yeah, Tennessee is that bad though. They're 5-5 only because they played Bowling Green and Tennessee Tech. They also get to play historically bad South Carolina and Missouri. Tennessee is about the level we can expect to be in the SEC. A middle of the road team that might jump up and beat a better team (Kentucky) every once in a while but we'll continually get our asses handed to us by our main rivals and the better teams in the SEC. Our problem is we're most likely in the same division as the other West teams which we are clearly inferior to. 

Sark needs to hire a hard ass DC with some Head Coaching experience to turn this around.  Gary Patterson would be perfect.  He needs a pipe hitter to come in and be the bad cop to get the team's attitude and motivation right.  The staff needs a bunch of bad cop types, not just Bo...Sark seems like too much of a nice guy that his message doesn't sink in with the players...Mack became a much better Head Coach with Greg Robinson, Will Muschamp, and even Gene Chizik there to show some fire and rally the troops...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The decision to fire sark now or to keep him needs to be based on the answer to one question. Does sark give Texas the best chance to successfully make the transition from the Big XII to the SEC? By successfully I mean compete. If that answer is no then why waste more time with him leading the program. My eyes tell me he is not that person. 

6 minutes ago, Azbadlands said:

Sark needs to hire a hard ass DC with some Head Coaching experience to turn this around.  Gary Patterson would be perfect.  He needs a pipe hitter to come in and be the bad cop to get the team's attitude and motivation right.  The staff needs a bunch of bad cop types, not just Bo...Sark seems like too much of a nice guy that his message doesn't sink in with the players...Mack became a much better Head Coach with Greg Robinson, Will Muschamp, and even Gene Chizik there to show some fire and rally the troops...

Gary Patterson likes small quick defenders, that ain't gonna work in the SEC.

1 minute ago, westexhorn said:

Do you really think is a good idea to fire Sark on his first season?  especially when LSU and USC are looking for head coaches at the moment? Really want to join that game of musical chairs?  Especially as a school that fires HC on their first season? 

You mean you don't think coaches would line up to coach at a place that fired the previous coach before he got to recruit his first class?

at least Charlie and Herman waited until year 3 to lose and almost lose to Kansas.  Now we have to go through 3 more years of shit knowing Sark is a dead man walking because of money and appearances.

the recruiting class will turn to shit, we'll get some sub par QB transfer, win 6 games next year and go to the SEC the following year and win 5 and then 6 and Sark will get fired.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

No offense, but why would he do that? He's not sitting on Saban-like money today, and he's got UT on the hook for $30+ mil as long as he doesnt get fired for cause. If he gets fired, he already knows he can land a gig immediately as an OC at another top school, but he wont be getting HC money anywhere else anytime soon.  Its UT that fucked up and gave him the contract. If we want to cut bait, fine, but it will cost us. Dont forget Sark sued USC for firing his ass when he was showing up to work shithoused. good luck getting him to give back all that money. 

And a move like this would kill his career. He’d never be a hc again

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Gary Patterson being a part of our program isn’t based in reality, anyway, but his good defenses have done just fine when they’ve played SEC teams.  They beat that loaded Ole Miss team that had been buying top recruiting classes like 45-3 in the Peach Bowl.

In any conference, I’d rather get faster than bigger on defense, if we had to choose just one or the other (which we don’t, but I digress).

bowl game you talking about a bowl game? maybe we can revisit the last 2 of ours that meant so fucking much. fucking bowl game, god damnit

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

at least Charlie and Herman waited until year 3 to lose and almost lose to Kansas.  Now we have to go through 3 more years of shit knowing Sark is a dead man walking because of money and appearances.

the recruiting class will turn to shit, we'll get some sub par QB transfer, win 6 games next year and go to the SEC the following year and win 5 and then 6 and Sark will get fired.

you know... people can also negative recruit you saying your head coach can be canned in 1 year right?

13 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Gary Patterson likes small quick defenders, that ain't gonna work in the SEC.

The SEC has pretty much all gone to spread offenses now, so it's probably not going to be long before the defenses adjust too.  He doesn't necessarily need GP, I'm just saying he needs to find someone with some fire that can motivate the team, someone to be his bad cop, and of course, someone that can make the defense fundamentally better.

Edited by Azbadlands

18 minutes ago, Azbadlands said:

PK was thought Of at worst a top 10 dc before he came here.  Patterson gives off a vibe where he’ll undermine sark.   Pass

• Hook 'Em 2

Say you can Sark after his first year and join the circus of head coach hiring right now... with possibly Florida joining in 2-3 weeks.  Which coach are you so sure will work out for the rebuild?  Can you convince this new guy that he won't get his ass canned in 1 year if he has bad results over LSU, USC, etc?  (as you know, rebuilds often times have shitastic 1-2 years)  Other schools that are looking for the same candidate as us will negatively recruit our target saying Texas will can your ass after 1 year.  We may have fucked up the Sark hire but if you can him now you will fuck up the school even more.

Edited by westexhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

If that loss doesn’t get him drinking again I don’t know what will. I had to get shitfaced after watching that game to numb the pain and blunt the anger and I’m not even an alcoholic.

Season ain’t over.   You could need a liver transplant after the last two games.

4 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Say you can Sark after his first year and join the circus of head coach hiring right now... with possibly Florida joining in 2-3 weeks.  Which coach are you so sure will work out for the rebuild?  Can you convince this new guy that he won't get his ass canned in 1 year if he has bad results over LSU, USC, etc?  (as you know, rebuilds often times have shitastic 1-2 years)  Other schools that are looking for the same candidate as us will be negatively recruit our target saying Texas will can your ass after 1 year.  We may have fucked up the Sark hire but if you can him now you will fuck up the school even more.

It fucking sucks to be a Texas fan.   There’s a balance between failing fast and being patient in the business world and here obviously 

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

It fucking sucks to be a Texas fan.   There’s a balance between failing fast and being patient in the business world and here obviously 

yes because the decision makers fucking blow at hiring football head coaches

Edited by westexhorn

14 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Yep and all of us just need to suck it up because no one worth a damn will come to Texas if you fire Sark in his first year. No one will piss away their legacy to come to a school that pushes you out in a year if you don't catch fire immediately. This job will be forever tainted, even more than it currently is. It won't be that Sark was awful at his job, it will be that Texas yet again meddled with its head coach because we're not patient. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Say you can Sark after his first year and join the circus of head coach hiring right now... with possibly Florida joining in 2-3 weeks.  Which coach are you so sure will work out for the rebuild?  Can you convince this new guy that he won't get his ass canned in 1 year if he has bad results over LSU, USC, etc?  (as you know, rebuilds often times have shitastic 1-2 years)  Other schools that are looking for the same candidate as us will negatively recruit our target saying Texas will can your ass after 1 year.  We may have fucked up the Sark hire but if you can him now you will fuck up the school even more.

ha.  its gonna be hard to fuck it up more than this don't you think?  the next guy might actually be a competent head coach like say, oh maybe, the KU coach.

that said it ain't gonna matter. he is getting 4 years because of exactly this thinking.

Just now, dcar00 said:

ha.  its gonna be hard to fuck it up more than this don't you think?  the next guy might actually be a competent head coach like say, oh maybe, the KU coach.

that said it ain't gonna matter. he is getting 4 years because of exactly this thinking.

so if you are CDC what would you do right now?  Who would you hire?

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

No offense, but why would he do that? He's not sitting on Saban-like money today, and he's got UT on the hook for $30+ mil as long as he doesnt get fired for cause. If he gets fired, he already knows he can land a gig immediately as an OC at another top school, but he wont be getting HC money anywhere else anytime soon.  Its UT that fucked up and gave him the contract. If we want to cut bait, fine, but it will cost us. Dont forget Sark sued USC for firing his ass when he was showing up to work shithoused. good luck getting him to give back all that money. 

All true.  Maybe I'm just a fool but I think if I had the millions he already got, and a steady job as an OC (Texas will pay well for a winning OC) I would probably go that route rather than risk falling back into old habits and becoming a full-fledged alcoholic again.  He also probably can't sue for the same thing again if Texas had even average lawyers draw up his contract.  If he is honest about wanting to stay sober I think it would be way easier without the pressure he is likely to be under going forward.  He is also more likely to see good results directly attributable to him as an OC, which should make him feel better about himself and keep him off the wagon.  I don't know - maybe is has zero struggles with alcohol anymore, but I doubt it.  From what I've heard alcoholics struggle for a long time to stay sober.  

In his case it probably depends on which desire is stronger - keep bringing in more money than he will likely ever use, or stay off the juice, have enough money to do whatever he wants, put kids in the NFL, and actually make a difference.

1 minute ago, westexhorn said:

you know... people can also negative recruit you saying your head coach can be canned in 1 year right?

Its a different game now. Players can portal out anytime they want and not lose playing time, so they are gonna be picking schools based on whats in it for them anyway (NIL money, etc...).  You wanna keep Sark around and lose to Kansas again next year and then see how our recruiting is going?

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much of a chance we do shitcan him this year, but it wouldnt bother me in the least. That mediocre m'fer couldnt even find it in him to get the 7 lousy wins he was known for. The stench of this season and the KU loss in particular can't be washed away. He's a dead man walking, we're just going through the motions until the mercy termination. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Blotto said:

Its a different game now. Players can portal out anytime they want and not lose playing time, so they are gonna be picking schools based on whats in it for them anyway (NIL money, etc...).  You wanna keep Sark around and lose to Kansas again next year and then see how our recruiting is going?

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much of a chance we do shitcan him this year, but it wouldnt bother me in the least. That mediocre m'fer couldnt even find it in him to get the 7 lousy wins he was known for. The stench of this season and the KU loss in particular can't be washed away. He's a dead man walking, we're just going through the motions until the mercy termination. 

i will ask you the same thing, who are you going to hire right now?  Are you confident you beat out LSU, USC for this guy?

• Hook 'Em 1

We are going to go 4-8, Sark will be back next year and we’ll go 5-7.  He will be back the year after for a do or die season, we’ll go 7-5, win a bowl game, and reward him with a 10 year contract.  Then we’ll go 7-5 each of another 3 years as Sark hits his stride.  Finally, the covid zeta variant emerges with the perfect balance of infectiousness and lethality to kill all humanity and put us put of our misery.

6F7D305A-6D84-4CC7-B490-8DF5AD940AE7.jpeg

Edited by Goredho

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Am I wrong to think recruiting isn't fall off the planet bad now. We have shown our offense can score with it's obvious limitations currently. If we can sell quickly fixing the D to passable level what's are record really look like? Would we sit here with the sky is falling feeling?

We'll have to see who actually sticks with their commitments come ESD. But even then, how do you fix a completely broken defense by next season with almost the same players. Even if there are studs in the recruiting class, it's going to take them a year or more to get to where they can be counted on. So unless there's some massive portal magic, I just don't see how things get better.

18 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

i will ask you the same thing, who are you going to hire right now?  Are you confident you beat out LSU, USC for this guy?

This too.  Replacement pool was thin. Last year and for reasons you’ve highlighted it’s likely thinner this year.  Gotta ride with sark for two years and hope nobody takes our guy before 2023

Edited by closetohumping

8 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

I'd see if James Franklin is interested.  Fickell, Kiffin, Aranda would be on my short list.  none of those guys give a shit if their QB runs.  We'd lose Arch for sure though.

25 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

How did he feel about Gary Patterson when he was AD at TCU?  Assuming they got along, I would think he would be in Sark's ear about a candidate he knows that could maybe fix the defense, and also help with HC responsibilities...

If Sark is one of those dudes that excells with just being a play caller and dealing with the media and boosters, it might be the perfect match...Keep Sark as HC and to run the offense and deal with the media and the glad handing, and recruiting for the offense...

They gotta do something to fix this shit show....Maybe it's a 2 man job, and Mack was some sort of alien to make it work in his prime...

Edited by Azbadlands

14 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I wonder how much of an impact the super seniors are having this year?

Allowing that fifth year to play appears to have benefited a number of teams along both lines. And I would really like to see a list of who got the most bang out of that one time decision.

Do we even have a fifth year guy starting?

Kerstetter?

7 minutes ago, Azbadlands said:

How did he feel about Gary Patterson when he was AD at TCU?  Assuming they got along, I would think he would be in Sark's ear about a candidate he knows that could maybe fix the defense, and also help with HC responsibilities...

If Sark is one of those dudes that excells with just being a play caller and dealing with the media and boosters, it might be the perfect match...Keep Sark as HC and to run the offense and deal with the media and the glad handing, and recruiting for the offense...

They gotta do something to fix this shit show....Maybe it's a 2 man job, and Mack was some sort of alien to make it work in his prime...

Very limited sample size but sark may be decent with the boosters and average with media.  Sark comes off as kinda soft to me and the media and the rich eat that up

sarks numbers as a play caller speaks for itself but he doesn’t seem crazy creative to me.  But again his offense does score points 

as far as replacements he is a solid no for me but would Deion produce worst results?

Edited by closetohumping

5 minutes ago, Azbadlands said:

very few can get to the playoff or vie for an NC calling plays.    off the top of my head, Malzahn, Fisher, Spurrier, maybe Brian Kelly? in the last 20 years.

its usually a recipe for mediocre results.

We'd take Patterson in a heartbeat but I don't think the guy wants to be a DC again.  hell he may just be done.

You can win @ Texas

See DKR, FUPM

Strong - Got a shot at top tier but fucked it up, maybe could not handle the pressure or got lazy.

Mensa/Herman - I can't remember his name, ouch so forgettable. Turtling led to his downfall

Sark - it's year 0, so he gets a pass for now. Close losses but that's not good enough. See Herman. Can he turn this thing around?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

PK was thought Of at worst a top 10 dc before he came here.  Patterson gives off a vibe where he’ll undermine sark.   Pass

Yeah, it's  baffling...Is PK's resume' based on inflated stats against cupcakes?  Or, maybe not letting him pick his own staff here is the problem?  Either way, they got to figure this out fast....