Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

PilotsError

On 7/27/2019 at 3:59 PM, SDG said:

Could be a wink to recruits...  my suspension is like me he’s proud of being a Texas grad.

i know it is/was a thing because i wS given one and so was Tom.  

I'm pretty sure CDC wears one, and I'm pretty sure he didn't go to Texas. I always assumed that was just a piece of flair to pimp the school. Corso always wears a B-2pin, and he wasn't in the Air Force (not bothering to check)

Mental state jokes aside, has anyone else been recently having the phenomenon where several people a day (a dozen or so) look very similar to someone else, but they’re not them?   Yeah a few celebrities or well known public figures, but the majority of the look alikes are people that look kinda like extended family members,  but primarily friends.  A few days a week for the past couple weeks, I’ll see ~10 people out and about that look very eerily similar to someone else I know.  But it’s not them.  

Is this a glitch in the simulation?   

You're just getting older. You've seen a growing percentage of possible facial permutations, and you haven't yet begun to lose your ability to recall. Once the faces quit looking familiar, then you'll know that you're losing your edge. 

Or else you're from (and in) an area with a lot of inbreeding. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

I pulled into a strip mall parking lot some years ago and wayyyyy at the other end of that lot and walking towards the shops was a guy that I immediately recognized as one of my cousins. It had never occurred to me that he had a very unique appearance or gait but yep, it was him. He was probably well over a hundred yards away and at a busy mall and I was not expecting to see him. I guess this is the counterbalance to Lobo's situation. I see people that don't look like anyone else.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, elfenix said:

why is traffic way worse when school is in? 

Well I was told by a prominent member of the Austin city Council that if more people or to bike to work and bike their children to school, that would take a lot more cars off the road.  I looked that barren cunt of a human being in her eyes and asked if she really thinks dropping off 5 year olds off at kindergarten on a bicycle is  plausible.  And she basically told me that we won’t know until we give it a try.  NoCR

On 8/26/2019 at 2:39 PM, Lobo said:

Well I was told by a prominent member of the Austin city Council that if more people or to bike to work and bike their children to school, that would take a lot more cars off the road.  I looked that barren cunt of a human being in her eyes and asked if she really thinks dropping off 5 year olds off at kindergarten on a bicycle is  plausible.  And she basically told me that we won’t know until we give it a try.  NoCR

Not that she isn't a barren cunt of a human being, but my kids rode bikes to school at least a few days a week for kindergarten and the rest of elementary.  There's at least 50 bikes on the racks there most days.  But it's more a question of how neighborhoods are set up.  My kids only had to cross one big street and it had a crossing guard.  It doesn't ease traffic though, except right there in the drop off line because I'm still getting in my car after I get back home from dropping them off.  

I'm not talking about kids riding their own bikes to school.  I specifically asked about kids that need to be biked to school.  Big difference. I don't know you and not to make assumptions, but I grew up lower-middle-class for most of my childhood and biking to school was a necessity.  Mom could drop me off, but picking up was a whole other issue so I biked.  Bus routes were available but biking was just easier and "cooler."  But I didn't start doing that until 4th grade or so.  I'm talking about the tens and tens of thousands of Austin families who have Pre-School thru 4th graders.  Children under 10 basically.  Those kids, in this fucking grid layout, cannot ride to school on their own.  And a parent can't fucking bike them to school on their way to work.  It doesn't fucking work.  It's a fucking white, upper class, software engineer or real estate guru proposal and it's fucking bullshit.  You don't like Trump's bullshit rhetoric, let's speak the fucking truth at home.  

Well our City Council doesn't understand basic rhetoric.  When someone looks you in the eye and says that predominantly minority families will benefit from biking their kids to school, even from Pre-K to the end of elementary school, because it will decrease their reliance on expensive cars and gas...and then follows up with that we won't know how effective/beneficial it can be until we've tried it for awhile......and you're expected to keep a straight face at a budget meeting...then yeah, I'll admit it's too many f-bombs.  For the record, which is public record, I didn't use any during the meeting.  But c'mon, the fucking poster for White Privilege is, "Come on darker people, you're just 3 miles from the shitty public school in your neighborhood...join us on a Mellow Johnny-sponsored 'Bike Your Kids to Work Day'.  Sure it's tough in your service industry uniform with your three kids struggling to stay on the back pegs...but we're saving gas and it's easier than building sidewalks and actually asking CapMetro to come up with sensible route solutions as their ridership dwindles down the drain!"  

I guess I should have qualified with it simple facts that maybe aren't in the normal arsenal of privileged white people.  Not saying 3 miles out is the bussing threshold.  But a lot of folks rely on friends/famliy/daycare/preschools to watch their children aged 0-5.  Those kids can't be taken via schoolbus or bicycle, they need to be driven.  And even when they are in the public K-5 campuses, work schedules don't jive up with bus schedules or it's just easier for a parent to drop them off on the way to work.  And that can't be done on a bike.  There is a whole other world out there of people who don't have $1000 road bikes, with multiple little kids, and who don't have pimped out gyms/showers at their place of work to refresh before the first conference call of the day.  

Let me just say this, inquire with the community advocacy group PODER.  Bike lanes are by far and away the most regressive thing our City Council days and that's really fucking saying something.  Just use the availability heuristic.....how many Latina moms you see each day on road bikes at 8am versus how many white males obviously going to work at Oracle?  

• 1 month later...

How do you cancel an Uber trip once a driver has picked it up? Had a driver pick up my request and the fucker was on another trip at the time. Fuck that guy. I think he still stopped and got hisself brakfest 'cause this is a tiny town and it took him a half hour to show up.

5 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Your question hits close to home because my Uber driver in Denver picked me while he was "completing another trip".  However, he still did mine in a very timely manner, so I had that going for me, which was nice.

I make this same trip regularly and know what time I need to open the app/request a ride. This fucker caused me to be 15 minutes late for work on a damn busy day in the office. This part prolly belongs in the trivial things that make ya surly thread but I gave the driver 3 stars and then the damn app wants to know why.

EDIT: I did find this, don't know how valid it is. I'm sure I'll have the opportunity to try it out at some point.

https://www.wikihow.com/Cancel-an-Uber-Request

Edited by El Diablo

On 10/3/2019 at 1:24 PM, El Diablo said:

How do you cancel an Uber trip once a driver has picked it up? Had a driver pick up my request and the fucker was on another trip at the time. Fuck that guy. I think he still stopped and got hisself brakfest 'cause this is a tiny town and it took him a half hour to show up.

i had a fucker pick up my request as he was pulling into the gas station next door, then he must have hit up mcdonalds in the station, forgot about me, and started driving away.  didn't auto cancel until he was a couple miles away. 

47 minutes ago, OrangEngr said:

Why /when did people start referring to the giants as the "New York football Giants"? Seems redundant

For almost 75 years, there was a baseball team in New York called the Giants.  The custom was "Football Giants" to differentiate them from the baseball, which was just called the Giants.  It's obviously not needed anymore since they moved to San Francisco shortly after the Korean War ended.  But for about 30+ years, million and millions of people used "Giants" and "Football Giants" alongside one another, particularly in September and October.  

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Classic Rock said:

In "Driving Miss Daisy", Hoke pulls the car over and tells Miss Daisy "I have to go make water".

But, what if he had to take a dump, does he tell her "I have to go make chocolate" ?

I always assumed he had diarrhea.

On 10/10/2019 at 6:48 AM, Lobo said:

For almost 75 years, there was a baseball team in New York called the Giants.  The custom was "Football Giants" to differentiate them from the baseball, which was just called the Giants.  It's obviously not needed anymore since they moved to San Francisco shortly after the Korean War ended.  But for about 30+ years, million and millions of people used "Giants" and "Football Giants" alongside one another, particularly in September and October.  

I’m still pissed the Dodgers moved outta Brooklyn.

9 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I’m still pissed the Dodgers moved outta Brooklyn.

No, admit it---you're just pissed off they let Jews and Coloreds into your baseball stadium.