Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

PilotsError

26 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

If i quote someone on surly...and no longer want to quote it...how the hell do I get rid of the quoted post in the reply box?

With your cursor in the first position under the quoted text, hit backspace twice. You can also just refresh the page and start over. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

Got one. 

I drive over Lake Ray Hubbard every day.  The lake has many dead trees poking above the water line in the middle of the lake.  How are those trees still there?  The lake was created in the late 60’s.  I’m assuming they were there when the lake was formed, but how could water, weathering, waves, storms, etc. not have upended them over time?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I’m looking at a rental property I want to buy, and it needs some siding work. I’ve never replaced siding. My man card will probably be suspended for this...

How do I estimate how much it will cost to install hardiplank?  I’ve looked around at articles, and I’ll getting some pretty high numbers. Like $10 per sqft installed.  When I look at the cost break down, it is estimating $5 per sq ft for just the hardi board. However, if I just go to the Home Depot site, it has .667’x12’ boards for $7. That’s a ~$1/sqft. 

Clearly I’m being an idiot and missing something. Please point me in the right direction. I’m just hoping I don’t need to drop $9k to replace 900 sqft of siding. 

On 3/31/2018 at 9:38 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

When Monster Jam's traveling act goes from one indoor arena to the next, do they pack up the dirt used for the floor surface and take it with them, or do they use fresh local dirt at each location? If they use new dirt at each stop, what happens to the old dirt at the end of each tour stop? 

They source the dirt locally. Friend works for the company who rents them dirt here in Austin for the monster trucks. Says he rents them the same basic dirt every year. 

Get some free tickets too. 

6 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Does using your AC in your vehicle really cause a decrease in fuel efficiency?

As worded, the answer is yes. However, most people need to open a window or 2 to cool the car in lieu of AC, and that can effect the car's drag enough to result in more losses than the AC would cause.

Take any mythbusters segment with a grain of salt, they have to make base assumptions about their "myths" and sometimes poor assumptions lead to wrong conclusions. In this specific case, the effect of an open window on drag will vary greatly from car to car, and varies with vehicle speed. Their conclusion that driving with open windows is slightly more efficient is correct given their chosen test vehicle and speed, but wrong in many other cases.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

As worded, the answer is yes. However, most people need to open a window or 2 to cool the car in lieu of AC, and that can effect the car's drag enough to result in more losses than the AC would cause.

Take any mythbusters segment with a grain of salt, they have to make base assumptions about their "myths" and sometimes poor assumptions lead to wrong conclusions. In this specific case, the effect of an open window on drag will vary greatly from car to car, and varies with vehicle speed. Their conclusion that driving with open windows is slightly more efficient is correct given their chosen test vehicle and speed, but wrong in many other cases.

This is all correct. I will add, drag caused by windows down increases exponentially with speed thus resulting in an exponential decrease in fuel efficiency, while fuel efficiency loss due to AC is a more linear decrease.

In other words, the faster you go, the more likely it is that having the AC on is the more fuel efficient option. Driving at highway speeds, use the AC. The exact speed you go from windows down being more efficient to AC being more efficient varies with the car.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

when repaving roads, why the fuck do they wait so long? does the newly torn up street need to "breathe" or settle or anything? local road here in queens, top scraped almost two weeks ago, crews go home and ain't shit down to the street at all for a while. Then last night they repave.  is it a funds issue, laziness or scientific? Even some highways seem to take a while where the scraped under road just sits there.

12 hours ago, T-shirt Sip said:

From the baseball forum, who the fuck is DDA?

Drunk David Ash. Dude who wears David Ash jersey to every baseball game and always ended up behind the plate and yelling on every LHN broadcast.  But now the Disch is packed and security is making him sit in his real seat.

2 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Drunk David Ash. Dude who wears David Ash jersey to every baseball game and always ended up behind the plate and yelling on every LHN broadcast.  But now the Disch is packed and security is making him sit in his real seat.

Awesome. Not so much for DDA but awesome for me that I'm in the know. 

23 hours ago, achooloco said:

when repaving roads, why the fuck do they wait so long? does the newly torn up street need to "breathe" or settle or anything? local road here in queens, top scraped almost two weeks ago, crews go home and ain't shit down to the street at all for a while. Then last night they repave.  is it a funds issue, laziness or scientific? Even some highways seem to take a while where the scraped under road just sits there.

After they tear everything out they have to repave all at once in dry weather conditions. Once it is torn up, nothing can damage it and it can wait to be oaved.

They undoubtedly have multiple projects at the same time. They have to make sure there is multiple days of dry weather when they decide to repave as precipitation damages new asphalt.

They may have another job to go repave that was scraped before yours, so they move on to that while scheduling your repaving. It's basically a weather and scheduling issue with multiple projects in play in your city.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Why does baseball allow each team to have their own dimensions for their ballpark? Different size walls as well. Yet every other sport I can think of every playing surface is the same measurements.

Golf.

Thank you for the neg rep, Pilot Error. Fucking asshole.

Maybe I should have responded NASCAR to Victoria.

Or NFL football. Never been to Lambeau? If you are on the sidelines, you cannot see the players across the field from the knees down. There is that much of a pitch. It isn't flat.

Or Green Bay Packers games in Milwaukee. In a stadium designed for baseball. The endzones didn't fit in the stadium.   

Poor fuckers asking stupid questions.

• Fuck You 2

On 6/11/2018 at 11:49 AM, Vic Mackey said:

Why does baseball allow each team to have their own dimensions for their ballpark? Different size walls as well. Yet every other sport I can think of every playing surface is the same measurements.

Pretty much comes down to tradition. Fields used to be vacant lots, after all, back in the late 19th century. Additionally, there are a whole slew of other factors unique to the various cities in which baseball is played that would make similar dimensions somewhat irrelevant.  400 feet in Houston does not mean the same thing as 400 feet in Denver, just as an obvious example. And nobody but Chicago has the same wind effects which completely change how the game is played.

When they set down standard rules, way back in the dawn of time, dimensions of the various parks really didn't make anybody's "to do" list, and it's just stayed that way ever since.

On 5/27/2018 at 8:41 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Ok, I’m looking at a rental property I want to buy, and it needs some siding work. I’ve never replaced siding. My man card will probably be suspended for this...

How do I estimate how much it will cost to install hardiplank?  I’ve looked around at articles, and I’ll getting some pretty high numbers. Like $10 per sqft installed.  When I look at the cost break down, it is estimating $5 per sq ft for just the hardi board. However, if I just go to the Home Depot site, it has .667’x12’ boards for $7. That’s a ~$1/sqft. 

Clearly I’m being an idiot and missing something. Please point me in the right direction. I’m just hoping I don’t need to drop $9k to replace 900 sqft of siding. 

Hardie plank at Home Depot is 8.25” by 12”. Installed with a 1.25” over lap you get  7 sqft on the wall.

$7.16 at HD

900/7= 129 boards x 1.10 for cuts 142 boards

142 x 7.16

$1016

residing companies add in trim and soffit and nails paint and 3 men crew.

On 5/24/2018 at 8:59 AM, Jerry Callo said:

We are pilgrims.

More like parasites. We've destroyed hornfans, then migrated to shaggy. We have now arrived here. At least until our resources run out and we leave this spot as another desolate place where one would only venture to hear the echo of their own voices.

and shit pics

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Hardie plank at Home Depot is 8.25” by 12”. Installed with a 1.25” over lap you get  7 sqft on the wall.

$7.16 at HD

900/7= 129 boards x 1.10 for cuts 142 boards

142 x 7.16

$1016

residing companies add in trim and soffit and nails paint and 3 men crew.

Right , so they are quoting 5x markup on materials, and same cost to install. 

Is it just a busy time of the year for siding so people jack up prices?  10k seems outrageous for this small home.