Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

PilotsError

On 4/19/2020 at 4:25 PM, Lone Star Horn said:

Sorry guys, Lone Star sucks as a beer. I'd rather put Shiner Bock there, but even it isn't that good.

There are many local beers in the major metro areas that are loads better than those two.

Lone Star is the best of the shitty bears, imo.

On 4/25/2020 at 10:43 AM, Grade of D as in David said:

They probably aren't using the speaker in the window. I haven't been to a drive in in over 30 years but even then you could use your am dial to pick up the audio. I would be shocked if they don't use that or something better.

Something better than am radio? Maybe like, oh I don't know, fm radio?

And why do the inside of my masks, no matter whether I'm sweaty or not or the brand or whatever, usually smell like vagina?  What is happening at night under the rear-view mirror or my car?  

And why do the inside of my masks, no matter whether I'm sweaty or not or the brand or whatever, usually smell like vagina?  What is happening at night under the rear-view mirror or my car?  

When my masks smells like vagina, I pretend it is a real vagina and commence the cunnilingus.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Lobo said:

Moisture from your breath. Change your mask out or wash them every three days at the maximum. Just like panties, they are dealing with moisture so change them out. Duh. 

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Why do the mirrors on the right side of the vehicle have the objects appear closer than they actually are but not on the left side? 

The short answer is because the passenger side mirror is convex and the drivers side is not. Because it’s farther away from you, to give you the same field of vision as the drivers side mirror it either has to be bigger or be convex to show you a bigger field with the same size mirror.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On that note, why do so many drivers tilt/set their side mirrors to show so much of their car's body?  Pre-covid, you could tell just by looking from the passenger seat or if you were to drive a friend's/family's car briefly...you can see that like 75% of Americans have their mirrors aimed so that you see half road/half the car's body.  What is the purpose of that?  When you're changing lanes, do you look at the mirror and think, "Yep, safety check.  And there's the lower panel molding and the rear wheel-well...and check."  Your field of vision in the mirrors should show about 10% of your car and 90% road, but most drivers...it's about 50/50 or 66/34 at best.  Likewise your rearview mirror above the console should be tilted down to show as much of the road as possible, but people leave it so that it's largely sky in the mirror, I guess for hang-gliders or helicopters that may want to merge.  ??   I dunno.  Next time you're in somebody's car, look how fucked up their mirrors are.  

15 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Unless you’re the same height and sit exactly the same you won’t see what they see that’s why they have to make the mirrors adjustable

Yeah, I get that on the up and down movement of the side mirrors, but if I'm just a few inches taller/shorter than another driver, our head is still in the same place...right in front of the headrest.  That doesn't explain away why their mirrors are turned aggressively back towards the side of the car.  Little bit of that is about height I guess, but when most people's heads are in the middle of their torso and having your mirror at pretty much a 45 degree angle back towards the side of the car is just dumb.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Superhero said:

If the light in the swimming cracks open, will I get electrocuted?

Only if it’s not installed correctly (it needs to be grounded/GFCI).  Generally all pool electric should be grounded all metal around the pool should be bonded to prevent electrocution.  Most cases where people die of electrocution in pools it’s a combination of ungrounded wiring and and unbonded metal fixture (like a self installed ladder or handrail).  It’s unlikely (but not impossible) that you’ll get a major shock from just one (likely a small tingle).

Edited by TKthunder2

• 2 weeks later...

In all the submarine movies (Red October, Hunter Killer, etc) the captain of the sub and at least some of the officers on the bride (is that the right word?) just stand around. Some depth charge or torpedo or something detonates nearby and they are thrown around like those idiots in the boat wreck video (see Battle of Lake Travis thread). Usually at least one of them will then have a bleeding head wound of some type.

Surely this is inaccurate, right? Surely the captain and XO and whoever else all have chairs with seatbelts they sit in, right?

Any submarine captains up in here?

4 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

In all the submarine movies (Red October, Hunter Killer, etc) the captain of the sub and at least some of the officers on the bride (is that the right word?) just stand around. Some depth charge or torpedo or something detonates nearby and they are thrown around like those idiots in the boat wreck video (see Battle of Lake Travis thread). Usually at least one of them will then have a bleeding head wound of some type.

Surely this is inaccurate, right? Surely the captain and XO and whoever else all have chairs with seatbelts they sit in, right?

I'm pretty sure that "bride" is the wrong word. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

USS_Florida_(SSGN-728)_control.jpg

This is the "control room" of the USS Florida, SSGN-728.

Other than the chairs for the planesmen, and stools for the various techs, it's kind of SRO.

I think the seat with the Chief in it might be where the Captain sits when "fighting the ship" if he so chooses.

Note that the "periscopes" are aft and no seats in the vicinity.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Other than the chairs for the planesmen, and stools for the various techs, it's kind of SRO.

I think the seat with the Chief in it might be where the Captain sits when "fighting the ship" if he so chooses.

Chief is Dive Officer and that’s where they sit to watch the bubble.  Captain would gain nothing sitting up there in an engagement.  I mean, it’s not like he can look out the window.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

And, if there's a depth charge attack, there will almost certainly be a pipe that starts leaking like crazy.  But immediately, some sailor will run over, and while getting soaked, shut off a valve to stop the water flow.   As if that water in the pipe served no purpose other than to leak in the event of a depth charge attack.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

21 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

And, if there's a depth charge attack, there will almost certainly be a pipe that starts leaking like crazy.  But immediately, some sailor will run over, and while getting soaked, shut off a valve to stop the water flow.   As if that water in the pipe served no purpose other than to leak in the event of a depth charge attack.

Because it's in the script.  Duh!

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

This happens in every sub movie in history.

Never understood that.

On 9/10/2020 at 9:13 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Well that's not nearly as cool looking as the subs in the movies. 

WTF have our sub architects been doing for the past 250 years? 

Good question.  I have those same lamps over my garage workbench.  

Also, Seaman Porter.  And I mean no judgement here...I know you're on long submerged deployment and all.  But you gotta start alternating hands during jerk sessions.  Your right hand and arm look like you've been doing hulk smashes.  Meantime your left arm looks like you've been on a hunger strike.  Change it up a little bit man, so the fucking sub quits veering starboard.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Good question.  I have those same lamps over my garage workbench.  

Also, Seaman Porter.  And I mean no judgement here...I know you're on long submerged deployment and all.  But you gotta start alternating hands during jerk sessions.  Your right hand and arm look like you've been doing hulk smashes.  Meantime your left arm looks like you've been on a hunger strike.  Change it up a little bit man, so the fucking sub quits veering starboard.  

I would think the wheel would tend to go up on the strong side which would veer the sub to port.

16 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

What is a burnt end?  Are their different definitions depending on where you are in the country?  I always assumed it was a by-product, but it seems some places in KC specifically cook the brisket to get brunt ends.

On a cooked brisket, it's the very end of the point which has bark on all sides except for the cut side.  Some places remove the end, cube it, and continue cooking it in barbecue sauce (probably what goes on in KC).  Some places just serve the burnt ends in cubes - most good places in Texas.

Many places are now serving pork belly burnt ends.  Which are neither burnt nor ends.  Just cubes of pork belly smoked and then usually finished in a braise.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 6:22 PM, Lobo said:

On that note, why do so many drivers tilt/set their side mirrors to show so much of their car's body?  Pre-covid, you could tell just by looking from the passenger seat or if you were to drive a friend's/family's car briefly...you can see that like 75% of Americans have their mirrors aimed so that you see half road/half the car's body.  What is the purpose of that?  When you're changing lanes, do you look at the mirror and think, "Yep, safety check.  And there's the lower panel molding and the rear wheel-well...and check."  Your field of vision in the mirrors should show about 10% of your car and 90% road, but most drivers...it's about 50/50 or 66/34 at best.  Likewise your rearview mirror above the console should be tilted down to show as much of the road as possible, but people leave it so that it's largely sky in the mirror, I guess for hang-gliders or helicopters that may want to merge.  ??   I dunno.  Next time you're in somebody's car, look how fucked up their mirrors are.  

so i just looked around on the internet, and even instruction videos are telling you that you should be able to see part of your car in the mirror.  why?  i have no fucking clue.  if whatever i'm trying to avoid is touching my car it's too fucking late. 

Edited by elfenix

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

even instruction videos are telling you that you should be able to see part of your car in the mirror. 

I think this is a big part of the issue, very few people properly get taught how to set their mirrors, and even fewer people actually think about the safety reasons and situations when they think about how to set their mirrors. For most, the thought process is "can I see the car behind me?" Yes? Drive off.

Yeah, don't get me wrong...I think you should be able to see a little tiny slice of your car because "you never know" I guess?  But I'm talking about the ones that are literally half car/half road.  There's no need for that and you miss a big chunk of your blindspot.