Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

PilotsError

56 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, don't get me wrong...I think you should be able to see a little tiny slice of your car because "you never know" I guess?  But I'm talking about the ones that are literally half car/half road.  There's no need for that and you miss a big chunk of your blindspot.  

I set mine where the only way to see a tiny part of my car is to lean forward.

5 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Yeah, I like having a tiny sliver of car visible in each side mirror as a reference point. 

I also like having a large aftermarket convex mirror for a rear-view that allows me to better see my blind spots. 

Convex mirrors on both sides is still the best mod I have ever done to my car. I have no blind spots. At the point where I can no longer see a car in my mirror, their front bumper is at my front door, and I don't need the mirror.

• Hook 'Em 1

Convex mirrors on both sides is still the best mod I have ever done to my car. I have no blind spots. At the point where I can no longer see a car in my mirror, their front bumper is at my front door, and I don't need the mirror.
Seems like you could lose a motorcycle in your blind spot if it's nearly the length of a car. I've got my mirrors set so if your front door is even with mine I can just about see the back door in the mirror. That's effectively no blind spot.

27 minutes ago, elfenix said:
On 9/16/2020 at 8:42 AM, UnivTex34 said:

Seems like you could lose a motorcycle in your blind spot if it's nearly the length of a car. I've got my mirrors set so if your front door is even with mine I can just about see the back door in the mirror. That's effectively no blind spot.

You can’t. Maybe I put it the wrong way, but at the point when you are looking at the mirror and can no longer see the vehicle in the mirror, you can see it out the side window. And at the other side of the mirror, I can see two lanes over. There is zero blind spot. It’s like having a wide angle camera at my front bumper looking back. 

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

I don’t really follow recruiting that closely. Why does everyone always say “Fuck the Brockermeyers”? Because they decided to go to a school that wasn’t UT?

I stopped following a while ago but yeah, they would have been third generation Longhorns, and Herman gave their walk-on brother a scholarship and they still went to Alabama.

It's a remnant of when people of many languages, would answer the phone with "Good Morning" or "Good Afternoon", etc.  As Jerry Callo stated above...many languages (not all, probably not most)...would pick up the phone that way mid-last century.  My mom still answers her phone with "Bueno" because most people calling her speak Spanish first like she does, but also because like me she's too lazy to program their names into her phone so she just sees 10-digits and tries with "Bueno"   Then it got truncated, just like "Hello" got shortened to "Hey" (insert Seinfeld reference here).  Kinda like the traditional sign-off of a call "Hasta Luego" which literally translates to "See You Later"...even though you're not really talking about "seeing" as in sight, more of a Spicoli---"Later Dude."  

Now if you want to talk about why stop signs say "Alto"...I'm all ears.  Because nobody has ever sufficiently explained that one to me.  

On 10/3/2020 at 8:38 AM, Armybrat said:

Because some pedestrian  posters do not want to toe the line and would prefer to stink things up.

I thought it was because they would hem around the point like some kind of heel, darn it. 

Edited by NWBuck
Seeking professional help for how easily these hosiery puns came to mind

As you get closer to the center, eventually the gas will become so dense that it will have the characteristics of a liquid or a solid.  however, there is no clearly defined surface and nothing we can make right now could survive,  There are probably some giant floating gas bags that are intelligent though

On 10/5/2020 at 10:14 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If I had any artistic ability I would sort through threads and pull out all of the best band names and make a concert poster

I imagine that there's a nerd among us who could pretty easily put together a bot to scrape the site for "band name" and other similar phrases. 

• 2 weeks later...
As you get closer to the center, eventually the gas will become so dense that it will have the characteristics of a liquid or a solid.  however, there is no clearly defined surface and nothing we can make right now could survive,  There are probably some giant floating gas bags that are intelligent though

Yup, some of them even post here.

17 minutes ago, woohorn said:
On 10/17/2020 at 2:26 AM, elfenix said:
Why doesn't the toilet seat have a handle on the side so you can lift it without jamming a body part into the gap between it and the porcelain?

Never lift it. Just pee sittin down iike the gurlz....

i keep the lid closed so i have to pick up something.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 11:49 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

what is the origin of johnny sack and rat fucking? What watershed did I miss on surly or shaggy?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratfucking

It was during the Cruz/Beto run and I *believe* it was him just saying he was donating lots of time/$$$ to Cruz. If I recall correctly.  A lot of shit has happened since then.