Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

PilotsError

2 minutes ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

image.jpeg.731915e8629b94d695a242291dd02c37.jpeg

I still will never have any idea how a professional player can not just slap a hit (weak or not) to the open field. Even lay down some kind of bunt. Some of the shifts we see these days are ridiculous. So many of the players never seem to change their approach at the plate. Which is why they continue to be used.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I still will never have any idea how a professional player can not just slap a hit (weak or not) to the open field. Even lay down some kind of bunt. Some of the shifts we see these days are ridiculous. So many of the players never seem to change their approach at the plate. Which is why they continue to be used.

I'd have to know which of our shitass batters that is before answering your question.

• Haha 1

It’s almost like the offense knows when to do this, what pitch to throw, knows the location to throw it and, this is a biggie, what the stats say where the hitter puts the ball in play, to a high, high degree.

As for bunting, have you not seen their lack of ability to bunt? It’s frustrating!

Just now, General Specific said:

It’s almost like the offense knows when to do this, what pitch to throw, knows the location to throw it and, this is a biggie, what the stats say where the hitter puts the ball in play, to a high, high degree.

As for bunting, have you not seen their lack of ability to bunt? It’s frustrating!

I get all that but my point was they don't even try and change their approach. They continue to just hit to where all the defensive players are. Again, all you are looking for is some sort of contact and you get on base. These are professionals. No matter what the pitcher's approach is, they should be able to adjust and put some sort of bat on the ball. With the picture, there is literally no one on the left side. Yet they will go up there and act like that is forbidden territory and just slap a hit to the right side for an easy out.

56 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

How did Cloak Room earn that moniker? It predates me finding this (well, that) site.

It's a bar right next the state Capitol.  Known for being a watering hole for state politicians.  Very historical.  Kind of a speakeasy.  I'm sure others who have been can describe it better.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

How did Cloak Room earn that moniker? It predates me finding this (well, that) site.

1300 Colorado St   Austin, TX 78701

"Excellent place to talk about politics or bring a call girl for a drink"  from a yelp review.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/texas/austin/cloak-room-austin/

2 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

It's a bar right next the state Capitol.  Known for being a watering hole for state politicians.  Very historical.  Kind of a speakeasy.  I'm sure others who have been can describe it better.

Well I’m an idiot for not connecting the two. Been too long since I was in Austin. Thanks - and you too @gyroprotagonist!

3 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

2 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

7 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Well I’m an idiot for not connecting the two. Been too long since I was in Austin. Thanks - and you too @gyroprotagonist!

https://politicaldictionary.com/words/cloakroom/

In politics, cloakrooms are spaces adjacent to the chambers of the Senate and the House where politicians from both parties can gather to discuss Congressional business privately. There is a separate cloakroom for each political party. Put simply, a cloakroom is to politics what a breakroom is to a normal office.

Cloakrooms were first established in the late 1800s as actual places for members to store their coats, umbrellas, hats and other apparel, but that usage became obsolete as more office space was built over the years. With the creation of individual offices for members, cloakrooms were converted into places for members to gather to talk about legislation, meet privately to discuss issues facing Congress, make secret deals, or just vent to each other about Congressional matters.

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2020 at 10:50 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

who dis? what show is that from? Asking for possible masturbatory reasons.

On 11/16/2020 at 3:23 PM, Frank The Tank said:

Google image search says Cheryl Cole.

64CE8567-13ED-4E5B-B5C0-73FDEBFA54F8.thumb.jpeg.c60fced70bc3bdd55137f559a2e4c8c3.jpeg

<—Raises hand. Also, am willing to uproot the family if it turns out we live in the same town. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday is probably too soon but I can't wait to see Larry David on SNL chime in on Bernie's attendance.  

"Look, I'm from Vermont and I like to save money.  So I went to Burlington, Vermont.  Home of Burlington Coat Factory.  I waited online 6 hours to get this jacket, it was on clearance.  In the ladies section, but don't give me a hard time, I don't believe in gender roles.  And these mittens?  Are you kidding me?  I don't have rich donors giving me Isotoner gloves for Christmas, I'm no millionaire Dan Marino okay?  As a tribute for my dedication to education, 700 Vermont 3rd graders got together and knitted these mittens for me.  Sure I can't do  my trademark hand-raising gesture in frustration.  I mean, I can...but you won't take me seriously.  Who am I kidding, nobody takes me seriously?  Just give me a nice discount folding chair and I'll just sit and sulk.  Nah, nah...I don't need one of those fancy chairs.  Nevermind, the back of my coat turns into a chair.  I don't see the fuss on this big event.  Look, is there at least gonna be some hot tea out here?  I mean, I don't mind the cold, but I'm sitting out here like an idiot.  Okay, I gotta get going.  I've got a bus transfer that expires before dinner.  I know, I should have made better plans being a Senator at an Inauguration...but I don't go in for the fancy hoobers or liftings cars.  Okay, my hands are getting sweaty, okay.  okay.  gotta go, okay."  

I never not laugh when reading those profiles after all these years.  

Dumb question---in the movie, "A Quiet Place"...you can see in the family "bunker" several newspaper clippings from the time of the alien invasion.  The featured one's headline simply reads, "IT'S SOUND!"  So if that city/newspaper/authority deduced it was loud noises attracting the alien genocidal maniacs to human locations, was the best course of action to use a loud-as-fuck printing press to commemorate the discovery?  Have you ever been in the facility where they print newspapers?  You can't hear a 100db scream right next to you.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

how the fuck are there 9 installments of the fast & furious franchise?

why do people watch that trash?

Apparently you aren't familiar with modern-day politics.  Most of that cast will eventually be elected to Congress at this rate.