Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

PilotsError

9 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Right , so they are quoting 5x markup on materials, and same cost to install. 

Is it just a busy time of the year for siding so people jack up prices?  10k seems outrageous for this small home. 

Pretty much. If in Austin reach out to Titan siding. They do the most resides in Austin. 

Allied is a little overpriced

12 hours ago, woohorn said:

Contractors mark up supplies. Hell, contractors get it cheaper than your HD price even.

Just wait until you are tryin' to reason with hurricane season...

I deal with industrial contractors all the time at work, and the markup on off the shelf type stuff (valves, pipe, etc) is usually 10-25%. Not 300-400%

2 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

In my slacks and a couple of pairs of my shorts, there is a second really small pocket inside my normal right hand pocket. WTF is this for other than something that my car key will get stuck in when my hands a full?

Pocket watch. 

2 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

In my slacks and a couple of pairs of my shorts, there is a second really small pocket inside my normal right hand pocket. WTF is this for other than something that my car key will get stuck in when my hands a full?

Cocaine

• Like 2

In jeans, the small pocket is for guitar picks. In slacks, the little pocket inside the pocket is also for guitar picks.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

[Jameis] roofie holster? [/Winston]

Speed limit is 75.  Two-lane highway.  Why in the everlivingfuck does one truck pull into the left lane to pass another truck, and then end up side-by-side for several miles @ 65-70mph?  Happened at least 30 times today while I was on I-20 through Louisiana and E. Texas.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

Check out Drifter's trucking thread.  Wind drift, governors, fuel efficiency, Bob Stoops, etc. 

We know why they're limited. We don't know why they bother passing if they're going so incrementally faster that it takes several minutes to complete.

Other than being an asshole, that is.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Were you and your brother raised by your single mother?  You two ask questions about stuff that boys that grew up with a father figure usually know the answer to.

4 minutes ago, baboso said:

Were you and your brother raised by your single mother?  You two ask questions about stuff that boys that grew up with a father figure usually know the answer to.

Thanks for the answer... Guess you must not understand the thread title. Good job

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In the ESPN app, when I look at the World Cup matchups, it shows, for example:

Belgium LWWWW

England WWLWW

That's for the Saturday 3rd place game.

WTF do the Ws and Ls mean? I thought it might be wins and losses over the last 5 games, but since both Belgium and England lost their last matches, that apparently isn't the case.

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What else would it use it for?

drying the dishes

we don't have a hot water line run to the dishwasher in our new office kitchen, my position was that the washer can heat up water on its own using the same element it uses to dry the dishes.  others looked at me like i was crazy.  

Edited by elfenix

11 minutes ago, elfenix said:

drying the dishes

That's a good answer. Do they do that? I've always assumed the hot water drains/evaporates pretty quickly. I've taken damp dishes out of the washer before but usually a fair amount of time has passed between washing and unloading so I'm just used to dry dishes.

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That's a good answer. Do they do that? I've always assumed the hot water drains/evaporates pretty quickly. I've taken damp dishes out of the washer before but usually a fair amount of time has passed between washing and unloading so I'm just used to dry dishes.

every dishwasher i can remember has had a heat/air dry button on it.  so, if you've got that set to heated dry, it'll use the element.  

35 minutes ago, elfenix said:

every dishwasher i can remember has had a heat/air dry button on it.  so, if you've got that set to heated dry, it'll use the element.  

Luiz. Yep, mine has a switch for heated dry or air dry. It's set to air dry. I just put it on normal wash and let it go. I haven't paid it more attention than that in years. My needs have been served just fine by the air dry. I can't imagine the heated dry being worth it. 

Regarding the rock throwing trucks, can they not design a compartment that encloses all the loose rocks? Seems idiotic to have a truck carrying around that much loose gravel and rocks with nothing to cover it. But hey, they have a sign on the back that says they are no liable for any damage so they got it covered I guess.

I consider BPA just trashy gulf coast. East Texas is piney woods.

It gets trashed here because most posters have spent time in Austin. No matter how much shit East Texas gets here, it beats the crap outta West Texas or the panhandle, so it is all relative (kinda like East Texas).

Do silencers in real life sound just like silencers in the movies?
On a .22 they sound like a pellet gun. On a larger caliber they sound like a slightly muffled .22 if subsonic and bolt action. It gets slightly louder from there.

And no they dont have the laser gun sound whatsoever like in the movies.

On 7/14/2018 at 7:02 PM, Vic Mackey said:
On 7/14/2018 at 6:58 PM, shakahorn said:
Do silencers in real life sound just like silencers in the movies?

I've heard they just muffle the sound to a degree but it's definitely not as silent as the movies portray.

Using .22 LR or anything subsonic out of a non-semi auto, they're nearly Hollywood quiet.

On 7/14/2018 at 5:19 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Regarding the rock throwing trucks, can they not design a compartment that encloses all the loose rocks? Seems idiotic to have a truck carrying around that much loose gravel and rocks with nothing to cover it. But hey, they have a sign on the back that says they are no liable for any damage so they got it covered I guess.

https://www.carolinatarps.com/listitem.jsp?item=10001&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI17mpzpGk3AIVwSFpCh3gagvpEAQYAyABEgJMSvD_BwE

• Like 1