Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

PilotsError

15 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

automatic bids... lower seed but guaranteed a spot

All 24 of them are automatic?

51 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

All 24 of them are automatic?

Yep, half the field (32 teams) are automatic qualifiers... here are the lower ones and conference auto bid:

45. N.C. State (22-14)    ACC
46. Duquesne (24-11)    Atlantic 10
47. Grand Canyon (29-4)        WAC
48. James Madison (31-3)    Sun Belt
49. McNeese State (30-3)    Southland
50. UAB (23-11)        American Athletic
51. Vermont (28-6)    America East
52. Yale (22-9)        Ivy League
53. Samford (29-5)    Southern
54. Charleston (27-7)    CAA
55. Oakland (23-11)    Horizon League
56. Akron (24-10)    MAC
57. Morehead State (26-8)    Ohio Valley
58. Colgate (25-9)    Patriot League
59. Long Beach State (21-14)    Big West
60. Western Kentucky (22-11)    Conf USA
61. South Dakota State (22-12)    Summit League
62. Saint Peter’s (19-13)    MAAC
63. Longwood (21-13)    Big South
64. Stetson (22-12)    ASUN
65. Montana State (17-17)    Big Sky
66. Grambling State (20-14)    SWAC
67. Howard (18-16)    MEAC
68. Wagner (16-15)    Northeast

What to hell does a symphony conductor do? I know he stands up front and waves a stick around, and makes SRV faces, supposedly to keep everybody in time. I'm thinking that if you're good enough on your instrument to qualify for a symphony orchestra aren't you good enough to stay in time? Seems like dead wood to me. 

1 hour ago, Not that Bob said:

What to hell does a symphony conductor do? I know he stands up front and waves a stick around, and makes SRV faces, supposedly to keep everybody in time. I'm thinking that if you're good enough on your instrument to qualify for a symphony orchestra aren't you good enough to stay in time? Seems like dead wood to me. 

He mainly keeps time and make sure the orchestra stays together with his guidance. They don't need him to tell them how to play the music but to make sure they don't start playing at different tempos, causing it to sound off. Within each piece, there are tempo changes and he guides these for the different groups, even how fast or slower they need to go. Also, to play louder or more quiet.

I used to wonder the same thing and had it explained to me. 

2 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

the conductor does 95% of his work during rehearsals.   And individual musicians cannot hear anything more than the asshole next to him.  The conductor holds it all together.   In a small combo, the "rhythm section" (bass and drummer) are the conductors.  

12 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

The actual performance, the conductor is nearly irrelevant. But sports analogy, he's the coach, and movie analogy he's the director. The entire interpretation of the piece is his vision.

As an example, check out real musicians trying to follow Bradley Cooper's direction from "Maestro:"

Edited by nnm