Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

PilotsError

On 2/10/2021 at 10:37 PM, markstanco said:

Why do people buy individual bottles of zinc, vitamin c,d, etc. when they can get a brand like One A Day that has all that in one pill?

Over supplementation is can also be very bad. Also quality of ingredients. Different vitamins even if same don’t always have the right composition or asborbtion ability. 

I regularly take multi, zinc (shown to help shorten illness), and magnesium (many people are deficit and shown to help with sleep). I don’t take all three every day btw. 

On 2/19/2021 at 8:27 AM, LABEVO said:

Over supplementation is can also be very bad. Also quality of ingredients. Different vitamins even if same don’t always have the right composition or asborbtion ability. 

I regularly take multi, zinc (shown to help shorten illness), and magnesium (many people are deficit and shown to help with sleep). I don’t take all three every day btw. 

UT professor spent multiple classes showing a lot of vitamins were bullshit, with no real studies to prove worth.  Naturally occurring vitamins are absorbed differently than synthetic and often why a dose contains 10-100 times the recommended amount. He could have been full of shit, but did work for IRONMAN.  

For all the people that are stuck with outrageous electricity bills (not me), how is it possible? Does electricity actually cost that much to produce when demand is high, or is just supply/demand based? And if it is supply/demand based, how is it not price gouging to charge as much as they were charging?

PUCT set the price to $9,000.00/MWH. Usually ERCOT sets the price every 5 minutes targeting 1 GW more electricity supplied than demanded, but that process was overruled (ostensibly to encourage generators to come back online ASAP).

Depending on the price of gas, producing a megawatt could cost that much at certain plants.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Social media "influencers"... What are the requirements to become one of these? 

Asking for a friend's whore. 

Build an audience that follows you, and, this is key....have the ability to influence that audience's decisions and behavior.  The line between an endorser, influencer, and social media celebrity can get blurry.

So, if Ana de Armas takes a photo of herself in a brand's yoga pants and puts it on her Instagram in exchange for money from the brand...she's endorsing.  If a girl who looks like Ana de Armas who has a large yoga-focused Instagram account aimed at yoga practitioners takes the same photo and tells her followers how great the pants are in exchange for money from the brand....she's influencing.  If she takes the same photo and puts it on her Instagram and tells followers to visit her OnlyFans  and pay money to watch her take the pants off.....she's a "celebrity" of sorts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Build an audience that follows you, and, this is key....have the ability to influence that audience's decisions and behavior.  The line between an endorser, influencer, and social media celebrity can get blurry.

So, if Ana de Armas takes a photo of herself in a brand's yoga pants and puts it on her Instagram in exchange for money from the brand...she's endorsing.  If a girl who looks like Ana de Armas who has a large yoga-focused Instagram account aimed at yoga practitioners takes the same photo and tells her followers how great the pants are in exchange for money from the brand....she's influencing.  If she takes the same photo and puts it on her Instagram and tells followers to visit her OnlyFans  and pay money to watch her take the pants off.....she's a "celebrity" of sorts. 

This is good info. The situation that prompted my initial post was not in fact a friend's whore, it came from an interview I had watched recently wherein the guest identified as an "influencer". I know that this particular individual is also sponsored by a few brands in their industry and also has their own line of products within that industry. Strange times, yo. Got a whole new batch of labels to learn. 

Thanks for the info! 

24 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

This is good info. The situation that prompted my initial post was not in fact a friend's whore, it came from an interview I had watched recently wherein the guest identified as an "influencer". I know that this particular individual is also sponsored by a few brands in their industry and also has their own line of products within that industry. Strange times, yo. Got a whole new batch of labels to learn. 

Thanks for the info! 

I contracted with an influencer once on a thing, and came away with a better understanding and measure of respect for it. To do as a living, for money, it's work.  Not work I'd want to do, but work.  Just collecting likes and views on your social media is not the same thing.  Obviously, it's part of it because you have to attract viewers, and interaction.  But Instagirls trolling for likes in their swimsuits or dudebros posting their abs are not influencers if that's all they are doing, no matter how many thirsty DMs and comments they collect.  

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I contracted with an influencer once on a thing, and came away with a better understanding and measure of respect for it. To do as a living, for money, it's work.  Not work I'd want to do, but work.  Just collecting likes and views on your social media is not the same thing.  Obviously, it's part of it because you have to attract viewers, and interaction.  But Instagirls trolling for likes in their swimsuits or dudebros posting their abs are not influencers if that's all they are doing, no matter how many thirsty DMs and comments they collect.  

The guy that said it is an extremely successful entrepreneur so I'm not surprised that he's latched onto the revenue stream. I was just a bit surprised to hear him mention it so matter of fact and needed to know more. Makes sense now.

On 3/16/2021 at 8:58 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

956 Worldwide Pants

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why do mortgage companies want you to pay off your mortgage early? Every one I’ve had sends me promotional materials that say “with just $300 more per month, you’ll save $X over the life of the loan” or some such. 

there is no penalty for paying off early that they get to collect.  What do they get out of it?

Along with that, the loans are stacked so the percentage of interest in the payment is greater up front than later on. 

So later on in a loan they are getting paid less for lending that money. So advertising like that seems odd, but it would let them recoup the lent amount earlier so they can lend it to someone else on a new note where the percentage of interest is back up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Why do mortgage companies want you to pay off your mortgage early? Every one I’ve had sends me promotional materials that say “with just $300 more per month, you’ll save $X over the life of the loan” or some such. 

there is no penalty for paying off early that they get to collect.  What do they get out of it?

Fees, fees, and more fees

They're warehousing the delta in amortization for the next wave of purchases.  Also, as stated, fees.  The next mortgage broker I meet who has been with their company for more than 5 years...will be the first.  

Nothing wrong with that, they're just chasing fees.  In many ways, they're more honest than realtors.  

How does a product like WD40 stay in business all these years? I bought a can when I got out on my own, use a spritz a couple times of year at most. Then when my dad died in '07 I inherited his can of WD40. Now I have two cans that will pass to my son when I die and then he'll have 3 cans. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

I have two cans.  One for the garage/home and one for the truck.  Have had each for several years.  The reason they make money is guys like us buy one $5 can every 5 years.  But the contents of the can are just readily available alkanes and dead dinosaurs, and probably has the production cost of 25 cents.  The most expensive part of WD-40 is the little trigger plastic deal and the straw.  

The real question is why don't they branch out and make malt liquor?

They also make other products, like a silicone based spray for things like garage door rollers, etc. That can eat up a can fairly quick if lubricating the door with any frequency. 

What I wonder is how duralube didn’t, or hasn’t, knocked them off the shelf. That shit beats wd40 by a mile. I’m not sure they even make it anymore. Haven’t needed a new can yet, but it’s great stuff. 

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

They also make other products, like a silicone based spray for things like garage door rollers, etc. That can eat up a can fairly quick if lubricating the door with any frequency. 

What I wonder is how duralube didn’t, or hasn’t, knocked them off the shelf. That shit beats wd40 by a mile. I’m not sure they even make it anymore. Haven’t needed a new can yet, but it’s great stuff. 

Just googled and it's still available. Can't wait to see what kind of ads I can look forward to on FB and Amazon now!

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Just googled and it's still available. Can't wait to see what kind of ads I can look forward to on FB and Amazon now!

Nice. I’m not in need yet, so hadn’t bothered to look. It’s really good stuff though. 

And while I’m at it, and admitting to what some may see as gimmick stuff, that flex seal shit ain’t no joke. “As seen on tv” infomercial stuff or not. I’ve used it in several things, and the tape too. A bit pricey perhaps, but damn if it doesn’t really work well.

On 4/19/2021 at 9:26 AM, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

The answers on here didn’t quite satisfy me so I did some googling.  One point an article made was that if you pay off equity quicker and then have financial trouble, a foreclosure ends up being more profitable because the foreclosed asset has that much more equity in it.  

7 hours ago, qwertyu1234 said:

What is the most interesting time period in human history?

My Great-Grandmother came to California in a fucking covered wagon, and lived long enough to fly on a 707 to go visit her son.  

She was certain that she saw more progress than any other generation, and I suspect that she was right. 

9 hours ago, Born to Run said:
11 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Welcome to the modern miracle of the diverging diamond. 

Buy why Gif...

Less light cycles and increased left turn capacity.  Been there a couple of years and all I can really say is it didn't make anything worse so maybe it was an improvement.

1 hour ago, PantsTent said:

Less light cycles and increased left turn capacity.  Been there a couple of years and all I can really say is it didn't make anything worse so maybe it was an improvement.

Pretty much. Worst part is fuckers not realizing you can turn left on red into the DD, just like right on red at a normal light.

Got it. Thanks! I can see the benefit of left turn capacity which is significant at that intersection. Occasionally a driver gets confused and slows everything down for those going straight however. It was weird as shit the first time through.