Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

PilotsError

How does a spider spin a web between 2 trees?

I kinda understand spinning AFTER the first thread is silk. But how do they connect the first sill between trees?

Do they swing from tree to tree like Spider-Man? Shoot a strand out their butt to the on tree? Don a wing suit and fly over? Or climb down and climb back up?

Inquiring minds want to know. 

11 minutes ago, Superhero said:

But how do they connect the first sill between trees?

The answer begins with the spider’s ability to transform liquid silk inside its special glands into solid threads. The spider does this by physically pulling the spider silk through its spinnnerets – silk-secreting organs on its abdomen. Once the thread is started, the spider lifts its spinnerets into the breeze. It’s the breeze that is the secret to the spider’s ability to spin a web from tree to another.

https://earthsky.org/earth/how-does-a-spider-spin-a-web-between-two-trees/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/20/2021 at 1:30 PM, Lobo said:

I have two cans.  One for the garage/home and one for the truck.  Have had each for several years.  The reason they make money is guys like us buy one $5 can every 5 years.  But the contents of the can are just readily available alkanes and dead dinosaurs, and probably has the production cost of 25 cents.  The most expensive part of WD-40 is the little trigger plastic deal and the straw.  

The real question is why don't they branch out and make malt liquor?

There used to be a Houston band called WD-40 Oz 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Stupid question: What is the other meaning of the abbreviation "imo", that's not "in my opinion". I see it posted on food threads where people are posting a pick of something they made or ate at a restaurant saying "chicken fried steak, imo". I don't understand..... 

I believe HenryJames started this in the beer thread.  Somebody complained he would post a picture of a beer but  not offer any description or opinion of if so he started adding 'imo' to the posts.

10 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Stupid question: What is the other meaning of the abbreviation "imo", that's not "in my opinion". I see it posted on food threads where people are posting a pick of something they made or ate at a restaurant saying "chicken fried steak, imo". I don't understand..... 

I think they mean IM an idiOt. I haven’t seen that but “imo” means “in my opinion” and if you’re trying to use it to express something else then you’re an idiot. And apparently too fucking lazy to just type out whatever it is you’re trying to say. There are longstanding conventions for abbreviating common phrases on the internet. Don’t fuck with them.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok.  I've got one related to the jury duty thread I started on the "Help" page.

I served as a jurist in a civil case 3 years ago.  Guy was guilty on all charges.  I think the penalty came to something like 12 million for the plaintiff.

Anyway, after the trial was over the judge gave us the option of speaking to the press or the lawyers outside of the courtroom.  I chickened out and took the exit out back because ... Is there not a danger of saying the wrong thing and having the lawyers for the defense ask for a new trial?  For example, one of the defense lawyers was an OU grad and made a couple of jokes about Texas.  In my head, I was thinking there was no way I was going to let this guy win a case.  (Of course, that didn't really factor into my decision.)  But what if I said that to a reporter as a joke?  Or let something else slip like, "We knew we could get this over with more quickly if we all just chose guilty." 

I'm giving flippant examples.  I'm just curious as to the possible repercussions if the wrong thing is said post-trial.

/apologies for the lack of proper English.  Kind of doped up on pain meds right now. 

48 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I served as a jurist in a civil case 3 years ago.  Guy was guilty on all charges.  I think the penalty came to something like 12 million for the plaintiff.

Anyway, after the trial was over the judge gave us the option of speaking to the press or the lawyers outside of the courtroom.  I chickened out and took the exit out back because ... Is there not a danger of saying the wrong thing and having the lawyers for the defense ask for a new trial?  For example, one of the defense lawyers was an OU grad and made a couple of jokes about Texas.  In my head, I was thinking there was no way I was going to let this guy win a case.  (Of course, that didn't really factor into my decision.)  But what if I said that to a reporter as a joke?  Or let something else slip like, "We knew we could get this over with more quickly if we all just chose guilty." 

I'm giving flippant examples.  I'm just curious as to the possible repercussions if the wrong thing is said post-trial.

/apologies for the lack of proper English.  Kind of doped up on pain meds right now. 

As long as you don't admit to violating the court's instructions (discussing case, consulting outside information) or a flat-out bribe or intimidation, it's pretty difficult to set aside a jury verdict.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was listening to NPR and there was some report that came out about aspirin being bad, blah blah blah. The gist was that if you are in your 40s and 50s and aspirin isn't prescribed to you by doctor, the benefits might not out weigh the harm from them. 

I thought I read some bad shit about the nonasprin, acetaminophen. So my question is what do you take if your head hurts from allergies or because you ground your teeth at night or tension headache? Should you just tough these out or is there something you can take that won't fuck you up? 

29 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

I was listening to NPR and there was some report that came out about aspirin being bad, blah blah blah. The gist was that if you are in your 40s and 50s and aspirin isn't prescribed to you by doctor, the benefits might not out weigh the harm from them. 

I thought I read some bad shit about the nonasprin, acetaminophen. So my question is what do you take if your head hurts from allergies or because you ground your teeth at night or tension headache? Should you just tough these out or is there something you can take that won't fuck you up? 

Weed. Lots and lots of weed. (It does really work, just sayin.)

22 minutes ago, Hate said:

Ibuprofen? And I believe the recommendation not to take aspirin is for daily consumption for heart health.

Pretty much. There is low-dose aspirin for folks needing a daily dose according to their doc. 

35 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

you can still take aspirin, just don't take it every day. That's probably a good idea for any NSAID.

If you have frequent headaches, I'd rotate- aspirin one day, ibuprofen the next, acetaminophen (but not if you are a drinker, or on a day you have a drink) the next. Take a day off, then repeat. Read the labels and don't take more than the label says in any 24 hour period. 

And yes, weed for tension headaches.

acetaminophen is the worst thing to take for a hangover because it works very poorly with alcohol and wrecks your liver even worse than it is.  

I prefer ibuprofen which also has risks with alcohol but nowhere near as bad as tylenol.  Regular aspirin works for me for regular headaches, but not hangovers.  There was a migraine formula pain reliever out there, that worked really for me since I get them a few times/month, but it got pulled from the shelves which freaked the shit out of me.  

A single baby aspirin a day (81mg) is fine for heart health, but ask your doctor.  

Any of you middle-age cats like me try any of those hangover remedy mini drinks they have at checkout at liquor stores and CVS?  Can't remember the name brands but they're usually in those small 4oz bottles.  Couple times a year, I'd try that emergen-C powdered shit but never worked and tasted like feet.  

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

I think the recent issue with aspirin, is that it is not such a good idea to take one everyday, which was once thought to help your heart (I think). Not that you should not take one for pain. That is fine, just don't take them daily for other reasons. I will not take Tylenol/acetaminophen/paracetamol at all, it can wreck your liver, and those who drink too much should totally avoid it. I think Advil/ibuprofen is fine, that is my personal go-to.

• Hook 'Em 1

I heard the same report on aspirin. I was taking the small dose daily per my MD but if I happened to nick myself shaving, holy hell I bled for hours it seemed. Blood took on the consistency of water. Found out on Surly that the docs have you take it daily so that it is a routine, to ensure you're getting the benefits of thinner blood. Fact is you get the same basic results if you take it a couple times a week. The thinning effect lasts several days so I take one on on the weekend and one around the middle of the week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, pantone159 said:

I think Advil/ibuprofen is fine, that is my personal go-to.

Be aware ibuprofen also isn't good for continued consumption (really, none of the painkillers are). Ibuprofen wrecks the GI system with long exposure, and is specifically not recommended for anyone with ulcer risk.

Looks like the Surly docs are all up in this topic.  Aspirin/Motrin/ibuprofen/Aleve/naproxen are all Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAID’s).  Continuing use of those is the #1 cause of Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) in the US.  Y’all need to stop getting hangovers.  Screwdrivers and Bloody Marys are better treatments, in moderation.  And enchiladas!

From your friendly non-local pharmacist…………….

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/19/2021 at 10:03 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yeah, I know, been a month, BUT: Nothing good ever comes from talking to a reporter or a cop. 

Exception on reporters: If you're drumming up publicity for an event, or something like that, it's okay. If a reporter wants to talk to you about a case, there's no up side. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On another thread, forgot where, there was a word for things in alphabetical order and all I can think of is the other poster who wrote callipygian so my tipsy brain is on the fritz. Anyone got suggestions? Thanks in advance!

edit: google no help so far either. 

edit2: google came through finally: abecedarian 

Edited by achooloco

On 12/19/2021 at 8:38 AM, qwertyu1234 said:

This probably is not a "dumb" question, but I am very interested in history and don't feel like starting a new thread.

If The U.S remained neutral in WW1 would the Allies have enough troops to hold the Western Front after the Germans beat the Russians in 1917?

Probably. Germany was already straining their food supply & manufacturing ability. Allies would’ve still one it just would’ve taken longer. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's mostly a "scale" play.  You can just have 10% of the state's high schools interested in football and that'll still produce so many talented recruits that can form dozens of quality rosters just off their 3* & 4* guys.  Plus their diversity helps, they seem to produce not just great white and black players, but also the very best hispanic and pacific islander players seem to come from California as well.  

My dumb question is---what would happen if a tsunami hit the panama canal?  Like those islands off the coast of Ecuador...say something happened they caused a tsunami towards Panama?  

1 hour ago, qwertyu1234 said:

Is California a big football state or is the reason it produces so much talent is that it is the most populous state in the country?

It's a big football state.  Not as crazy as Texas, but yeah, High School football is still a big deal here, particularly in smaller towns.