Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

PilotsError

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

I think it's mostly a "scale" play.  You can just have 10% of the state's high schools interested in football and that'll still produce so many talented recruits that can form dozens of quality rosters just off their 3* & 4* guys.  Plus their diversity helps, they seem to produce not just great white and black players, but also the very best hispanic and pacific islander players seem to come from California as well.  

Maybe it’s just me but I swear the hispanics in Cali are on average taller/stronger than the ones here in Texas. Anecdotal but I notice it when I’ve been over there. I mean I’m 5’11 and the tallest person in my extended family. If we were from Baja or Sonora maybe it’d be different.  

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

Maybe it’s just me but I swear the hispanics in Cali are on average taller/stronger than the ones here in Texas. Anecdotal but I notice it when I’ve been over there. I mean I’m 5’11 and the tallest person in my extended family. If we were from Baja or Sonora maybe it’d be different.  

You know...now that you mention it...yeah, just from family and living there briefly...the Hispanics in California are taller on the whole.  One of My mom's sisters (they're all hispanic, from Spain/Northern mexico)...she settled in Sacramento and married a white dude.  But the three kids all several inches taller than the average person of their gender.  Then one of her brothers settles in Southern California after leaving the Marine Corps.  He was short, but the four kids he birthed there...all tall...particularly for Hispanics.  The relatives that moved up to Chicago, most of them ended up being shorter than even the average Hispanic.  The ones that stayed back in Texas are a mixed bag of tall 'n short.  Almost all us boys played football growing up but even those of us that were taller weren't that great...we should've stuck with baseball.  

tl:dr---there is something in the water out there in the Golden State but only us brown folks can see it ;) 

Edited by Lobo

14 hours ago, bluto said:

Why don’t hotels have table/box fans to rent out? Or even white noise machines if you gotta class the joint up. 

First thing I do in a hotel room is turn the fan to on.  It runs constantly instead of just when the unit is cooling.

Another tip:  a package of tortilla makes almost every hotel breakfast better.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:44 PM, Helobious said:

Maybe they just look taller because everyone in Texas is so fat?

• Haha 2

Did the newspaper guy who discovered the aliens in "A Quiet Place" responded (and subsequently murdered humans) to loud noises...regret running into the warehouse and firing up the massive press machines to print "IT'S SOUND!"  I would think those devices are rather loudly unironic.

Edited by Lobo

On 1/18/2022 at 9:44 PM, Helobious said:

Tend to be thinner as well.

On 12/19/2021 at 8:38 AM, qwertyu1234 said:

This probably is not a "dumb" question, but I am very interested in history and don't feel like starting a new thread.

If The U.S remained neutral in WW1 would the Allies have enough troops to hold the Western Front after the Germans beat the Russians in 1917?

Doubtful, the U.S. entry was as much as a psychological victory than anything else. The French soldiers were in active mutiny, and the war energy was severely drained in Great Britain. No U.S. there probably a mutual armistice (things were much worse in Germany, A-H, and Ottoman Empire), and the 20th Century is much less screwed up.

9 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Maybe they just look taller because everyone in Texas is so fat?

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Tend to be thinner as well.

Well that goes without saying. When you don’t have barbacoa & big red as a breakfast staple and you don’t put hot Cheetos on everything, it’ll help keep your obesity rates down. I mean Tex-Mex is superior to their regional food imo, but it comes with a price. 

It's a 23-minute show.  Without the first two rounds, it's just the lone round, and then the Fast Money round.  That's maybe 11 minutes of air time.  So it's 12 minutes of Steve Harvey barely escaping sexual harassment lawsuit after lawsuit with the female contestants while the producers are frequently treated for heart attacks.  

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Richard Dawson obviously.  My brother was on Family Feud a few years ago.  He was on  with his ex wife, their two daughters, and his current wife.  This was the ex that served him his divorce papers in the ICU shortly after he was life flighted there after a car accident.

Holy shit.  That had to make a very awkward introduction for the host and your brother's team.  And then onto Bonus Money Round:

"How you doing sweetheart (kisses her).  So you're single now, is that right?  Interesting. Lovely daughters by the way.  Okay, you just need 3 more points on this last question win the money:

'Name something you'd bring a loved one in the hospital'."

"You said, 'divorce papers.'  Number one answer was flowers...SURVEY SAYS!  Zero."  

3 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

What is the point of the first two rounds of Family Feud?  The team that wins the third round is always the winner.  

Not true. If one family wins the first two rounds and the other wins the third, they have a showdown to see which can be the first to guess the #1 answer to a 4th question. It’s possible that may only be the case when the second family has scored less than 300, I’m not sure. But the showdown round is real. 

21 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

No I’m talking all kinds of rando shit shows up on mine. It’s an easy switch to turn off for your own sharing, but others’ shit still still shows up.

I find that very weird too.  I keep mine on private.  And who in the fuck pays back the cost of a burger at lunch anyway?  Just buy their lunch next time... WTF?

No I’m talking all kinds of rando shit shows up on mine. It’s an easy switch to turn off for your own sharing, but others’ shit still still shows up.
You don't want to know that Mary, Okayden's mom from your kids soccer team 4 years ago paid Diane $14 for pizza?

An alternative strategy is to leave it public and note every transaction as "butt stuff." I found that amusing, others less so.
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Ohhhhhh that. 

I got nothin. 

19 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Yeah, it's probably better not to do butt stuff with your daughter's tutor and voice coach

Woah there, paint. We need a little more info about said tutor and coach before we just start crossing off options. 

And who in the fuck pays back the cost of a burger at lunch anyway?  Just buy their lunch next time... WTF?

The same females who are oblivious to how close they are to getting stabbed in the back of the head while digging around forever in their purse for correct change at the checkout counter.

22 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Ohhhhhh that. 

I got nothin. 

Woah there, paint. We need a little more info about said tutor and coach before we just start crossing off options. 

22 hours ago, tbone_ said:

They’re dudes. Nttiawwt. Let me know if you want contact info.

22 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

I’ll pass on that, butt thanks.

so, option crossed off then?

On 1/20/2022 at 3:57 PM, Harrison Bergeron said:

Doubtful, the U.S. entry was as much as a psychological victory than anything else. The French soldiers were in active mutiny, and the war energy was severely drained in Great Britain. No U.S. there probably a mutual armistice (things were much worse in Germany, A-H, and Ottoman Empire), and the 20th Century is much less screwed up.

If I remember the history books correctly, the arrival of the US troops to the front stuffed the German offensive. They had all the extra troops from the Eastern Front that were freed up with the Russian surrender. At that point, once the fresh US troops stopped that offensive, and more US troops poured into the Western Front, the Germans were done. It was their last hope of winning the war.

• 3 weeks later...

Get some jalapenos and bacon and I'll show you.

(I'm not sure of all the sub-species, but most turn into beetles or harmless junebugs, but in swarms can present even more lawn challenges) 

Edited by Lobo