Dave Matthews Band

Don Johnson

Haven't thought about them in a while, but they have a new album coming out and I kind of dig the new single out.

On a somewhat related note,  Boyd Tinsley supposedly did some weird stuff.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/dave-matthews-bands-boyd-tinsley-sued-for-sexual-harassment-w520465

Beginning in 2015, Frost-Winn claims that Tinsley began to repeatedly sexually harass him. Over the course of Frost-Winn's tenure with Crystal Garden, the trumpeter left more than once due to the alleged sexual harassment, "the first time being in Nov. 2015 when Defendant Tinsley ejaculated next to Plaintiff Winn and touched Winn's buttocks while Plaintiff Winn was sleeping." According to the suit, Winn was repeatedly told by Tinsley that he "could not leave the band" as it was "James' band."

To be fair, ejaculating in close quarters and getting fucked with while you sleep could happen and not be abnormal in the context of touring band.  But more van than multiple buses.

Dave Matthews Band gets a bad or at least weird rap.  His voice/singing is funny, hardcore DMB people are weird, but they're a good band.

• 1 year later...
On 5/18/2018 at 1:09 PM, Celery Man said:

To be fair, ejaculating in close quarters and getting fucked with while you sleep could happen and not be abnormal in the context of touring band.  But more van than multiple buses.

Dave Matthews Band gets a bad or at least weird rap.  His voice/singing is funny, hardcore DMB people are weird, but they're a good band.

I love his music, he seems like an illiterate fuck, but his music is very cool.

11 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

@pearlandhorn looks like they pushed all 2020 dates to 2021 and then added The Woodlands and Dallas to a weekend in September.  That'll be show 24 and 25 for me. . .

I saw that.  My show count is in the 40s at this point.  Definitely glad they bit the bullet and postponed the shows for 2020.  Found it very very odd they left out Woodlands and Dallas in 2020 though.

Guest Lobo

Considering how many people Live Nation laid off in the last few weeks plus they're not paying their rent in Austin and they're currently engaged in a workout plan that assumes they produce no festivals/no revenue in the Western Hemisphere for 12 months.....I'd say DMB probably ain't playing ACL Festival.  

The music industry is in great shape not a great time to be in live music booking/production though.  

DMB does get a bad rap.  If you were single and trying to get laid between 1992-1999, you listened to them and/or went to their shows because that's what girls listened to/did.  Same reason I watched Friends and went to Martini Bars.  None of us like that shit, we just "wanted to be held."  Their musicianship is still damn impressive and a handful of songs from my "era" with them have aged better than a lot of other crap I listened to back then to meet girls at festivals.  Have you gotten drunk and accidentally put on an Everclear or Spin Doctors album?  Holy shit, shit's aging about as well as the 35 year old I met at their show who's gotta be  on medicare now.  

Edited by Lobo

I had a big DMB phase, and just kind of lost interest in that kind of music altogether.  I can still tap into some serious nostalgia for the early aughts when I hear it, but it just doesn't do for me what it once did.

They're really good musicians.  Hard to deny that.

• Like 1

dave had some decent lyrics in the first three albums, and they had some nice melodies but the reason so many people liked them without realizing it was because carter beauford is an incredibly talented and underrated drummer.  

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

dave had some decent lyrics in the first three albums, and they had some nice melodies but the reason so many people liked them without realizing it was because carter beauford is an incredibly talented and underrated drummer.  

Damn didn't know I liked them because of a drummers licks. Nope, I've always dug their lyrics, and their sound which is just a bit different than the normal everyday sound you hear on the radio.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:20 AM, sidis said:

Possibly the best drummer in my generation. Very underrated. Dave is also a very good guitarist. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Carter Beauford is a great example of how something like a great drummer can have a subconscious effect on people who aren't necessarily listening to that sort of thing intentionally.

absolutely correct.  he was the driving force behind making it sounds every so slightly unique relative to pop.  like onboard said above, he liked it because it sounded "a bit different than the normal everyday sound."  what he doesn't realize is a huge part of what made it different was largely attributable to unusual time signatures, as well as variable time signatures within songs that is huge part of their sound.  virtually all pop is 4/4ths and they were doing all kind of 5/4ths, 7/8ths, 2/4ths and everything else under the sun with really smooth transitions.  the only way you can do that effectively in that type of music is to have a very skilled drummer.  the perfect example of this that is incredibly subtle is the song "the dreaming tree" with its 7/8ths.  try counting the measures to the song and then drum the rhythm.  

Stan - Ding - Here the Old man said to Me long be - Fore these crowded streets here Stood my dreaming tree be - Low
1 2....3 4....56...7..1...2....3....4..56.7.........1....2.....3...4...5.6......7...1.....2...3...4...56..7.....1

stand, old, fore, stood are the strongest beats of the song.  you can literally put the song on and count 1 - 7 as indicated here. but because it is 2 + 2 + 3 in the grouping - what makes it 7/8, you would only tap your foot on 1, 3, and 5, So 12 34 567 12 34 567...this is what happens naturally.  how we feel the beat that is grouped as 7/8 notice the third foot tap is longer because it takes up 3 eighth notes while the others take 2.  on the second verse when carter comes in, try to listen to just the drum track.  again, this is carter completely messing with your head with incredible skill.  

another good one is how he inserts a 2/4ths in the middle of dave's verses...e.g., listen to the transition in the lyrics at: "Look at Me In my Fancy car and my Bank account how I wish I could take it All down To my grave God knows I've Saved.

rapunzel and #34 are other good exemplars.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Saw them at the State Fair Bandshell (Dallas) in the summer of 1995.

They rocked.

I was not sober.

#HighTimesandMisdemeanors

That's the show where I met a girl, we shared a joint, got married, had kids, got divorced, and I paid her a whole bunch of money.

SIAP, but a few years ago I took my daughter to a DMB show, the dude next to me fired up a huge bowl.  Daughter looked him with a shocked look - I said "honey, if it wasn't for Dave Matthews and weed you might not be here."

"From Here on Out" was the wedding processional at my 2nd wedding, and "Crush" was our first dance.

@sidis good analysis.

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, sidis said:

another good one is how he inserts a 2/4ths in the middle of dave's verses...e.g., listen to the transition in the lyrics at: "Look at Me In my Fancy car and my Bank account how I wish I could take it All down To my grave God knows I've Saved.

just went back and read this and this was referring to the song "seek up."

Seek up on "live at red rocks" has always given me chills.

Long uninteresting story, strong family ties to UVA and Charlottesville, closest thing I have to a godmother lived there. She drove her daughters carpool which included a young Stefan Lessard. Hauled his bass fiddle around in her jeep Cherokee to the Tandem friends school.

When he joined DMB full time she told him he was throwing his life away and was making a huge mistake.

My sister worked at Barnes &Noble when she was at UVA and the band members would come in, then all of a sudden they were famous.

3 hours ago, sidis said:

absolutely correct.  he was the driving force behind making it sounds every so slightly unique relative to pop.  like onboard said above, he liked it because it sounded "a bit different than the normal everyday sound."  what he doesn't realize is a huge part of what made it different was largely attributable to unusual time signatures, as well as variable time signatures within songs that is huge part of their sound.  virtually all pop is 4/4ths and they were doing all kind of 5/4ths, 7/8ths, 2/4ths and everything else under the sun with really smooth transitions.  the only way you can do that effectively in that type of music is to have a very skilled drummer.  the perfect example of this that is incredibly subtle is the song "the dreaming tree" with its 7/8ths.  try counting the measures to the song and then drum the rhythm.  

Stan - Ding - Here the Old man said to Me long be - Fore these crowded streets here Stood my dreaming tree be - Low
1 2....3 4....56...7..1...2....3....4..56.7.........1....2.....3...4...5.6......7...1.....2...3...4...56..7.....1

stand, old, fore, stood are the strongest beats of the song.  you can literally put the song on and count 1 - 7 as indicated here. but because it is 2 + 2 + 3 in the grouping - what makes it 7/8, you would only tap your foot on 1, 3, and 5, So 12 34 567 12 34 567...this is what happens naturally.  how we feel the beat that is grouped as 7/8 notice the third foot tap is longer because it takes up 3 eighth notes while the others take 2.  on the second verse when carter comes in, try to listen to just the drum track.  again, this is carter completely messing with your head with incredible skill.  

rapunzel and #34 are other good exemplars.

Oh yeah their beat, rhythm, and tone is/was unique. 

Guest Lobo
2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh yeah their beat, rhythm, and tone is/was unique. 

So basically, their music then?  Oh wait, you left off melody ;) 

the only thing that seems to matter these days is rhythm and melody.  If I had my time again...

14 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Carter Beauford is a great example of how something like a great drummer can have a subconscious effect on people who aren't necessarily listening to that sort of thing intentionally.

Today I ended up here randomly following YT links. Enjoyed the part beginning ~4:05 (if I didn't tee it up correctly)

On 5/12/2020 at 3:07 PM, BearSchlong said:

That's the show where I met a girl, we shared a joint, got married, had kids, got divorced, and I paid her a whole bunch of money.

SIAP, but a few years ago I took my daughter to a DMB show, the dude next to me fired up a huge bowl.  Daughter looked him with a shocked look - I said "honey, if it wasn't for Dave Matthews and weed you might not be here."

"From Here on Out" was the wedding processional at my 2nd wedding, and "Crush" was our first dance.

@sidis good analysis.

"You and Me" was the song my wife and I exited the "alter" when we got married. 

Dave did a little blurb before "Loving Wings" on the Live at Las Vegas D&T duo show that we used on our invitation.

Edited by pearlandhorn
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I put on Live At Red Rocks while out for a run a couple weeks ago.  While I definitely lost interest in them over the years, that set is really good and instantly reminds me of why I ever liked them to begin with.

That Seek Up opener is one of my all time favorites.

I don't think I've ever had a really bad setlist, but some are better than others.  It's the constant variation that keeps me interested.  But this "stand up" bullshit the last few years. . .I hope that's over.

I'm trying to decide if I like DDTW as an opener.  Seems like the last few years they've played that and Grey Street as much as they played Jimi Thing the few previous years.  I do love LIOG though.

Edited by BearSchlong

They used to always start their tours here in The Woodlands and we would always go.  I think we saw them maybe 3 or 4 years in a row there.  They always put on a great show.  I've always like DMB, but I don't listen to them nearly as much as I used to.  Crush has long been one of my favorites. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's, like, cool to hate Dave Matthews Band these days, so it's good to see there are some here who appreciate them.

I haven't really kept current with them, but I'll always love their first three albums just because they were released when I was in between the ages of 22-24 and I was listening to them non-stop.  Also really loved the later albums Busted Stuff and the one with the New Orleans funeral as the cover art for the guy in the band who died (Sax player?).

Have also seen them live 2-3 times and they put on a great fucking show.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

@pearlandhorn Fuck it, I'm in for the Friday and Saturday night shows in Chicago, first weekend in August.  Gonna be good to see them.

Have a good time bud. I’ve told my wife so many times that I wanted to go see them in Chicago. I’ve got an executive MBA program starting in the fall and I’m looking for a two show weekend that I’m not in class to go see them. Was planning on Denver again this year (saw them there for two shows in 2019) but I’ve got class.

9 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Have a good time bud. I’ve told my wife so many times that I wanted to go see them in Chicago. I’ve got an executive MBA program starting in the fall and I’m looking for a two show weekend that I’m not in class to go see them. Was planning on Denver again this year (saw them there for two shows in 2019) but I’ve got class.

man save the money on the executive mba and go see dave.

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

Hell yeah! I say we get a posh vrbo and split it. We will definitely have to at least meet up.

Most definitely. We’re at an IHG hotel as I’m a cheap ass and booked it with points. We’re a 15 minute Uber ride to the pavilion in downtown maybe? I’m assuming it’s downtown.

Pizza on me, bud.

Not only is it downtown, it's actually on the island in the lake adjacent to the Field Museum and Soldier Field that used to be Meigs Field airport.  I don't have accomidations yet, it's going to be either Bonvoy points or a cool VRBO place with a lake view. Tickets through Warehouse, not assigned yet.  Flying in at midnight Thursday, Friday and Sat will be museums/tourist stuff during the day, concerts at night.

image.thumb.png.0cfd0bf6765ab4c0a987fd984c37ccd2.png

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

@pearlandhorn sitting at Harry Careys at Navy Pier. Watching the cubs and Sox play. N1 coming up in a few hours.

Shoot, wish I would have seen this. For some reason, it didn’t tag me.

Wife and I strolled around Wrigley today during the game. Bummer the show was called early. What’s your plan for tomorrow?

2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Wildberry Cafe for breakfast, holy smokes this place is legit. Doing field museum and sears (yeah I know) tower.

Were in 201 tonight, you? We'll have to meet up.

Lawn tonight. We were in reserved last night. We’re heading up to Halston parade today. We did Willis on Thursday. It was pretty legit man. Very touristy but pretty awesome.