Netflix's "Roaring Twenties Austin" (Reality Show: 8 20-somethings move to Austin) (Dec. 10)

atomheartbevo

Yeah, this is DT instead of M&TV, but it's going to be talked about for the image it presents of Austin, and I'm dreading it either making Austin look shittier than it is, or making it look more appealing.  Probably a bunch of stereotypes we all loathe.  Only two California transplants, so that's surprising.  Was filmed over the past several months.

Also, I hate the entire cast already.

https://www.kxan.com/news/first-look-at-netflixs-roaring-twenties-austin-reality-show/

Netflix just dropped the trailer for it’s new reality series “Roaring Twenties” based in Austin.

In this series, eight twenty-something strangers become roommates. The group sets out to find success, friends and love, while learning to navigate the ‘new normal’ of America today.

• Abbey is a 25-year-old Houston native, who is newly divorced and unemployed. The capital city might just be the place for self-discovery. 
  • Raquel, 25, is coming to Austin from Eatonville, Florida. In the trailer, she hopes this experience helps her grow some wings. The IT tech will have no issue there with Austin’s booming tech scene.
  • Bruce is a 23-year-old looking for love. He’s currently working in sales for his dad’s insurance company but hopes Austin will be the place he settles down.
  • Natalie is unemployed and never had a boyfriend. The 26-year-old comes from a strict household, so it’s safe to say she’s ready for some fun on Rainey Street… that’s if she can catch her flight. In the trailer Natalie was going the wrong way in the airport. 
  • Kamari, 23, is a model from North Carolina and hoping to find a Texas girl to settle down with.
  • Keauno is the oldest of the bunch. The 28-year-old packed up his stuff in Arkansas and hit the road. He didn’t forget a single piece of clothing. He’s hoping to find his place in Austin’s welcoming LGBTQ+ community.
  • Isha, 24, is a California transplant and aspiring fashion designer. There’s no doubt she’ll be peaking inside all of Austin’s boutiques hoping to score her next Instagram worthy outfit.
  • Michael knows his way around Austin. He recently moved from California hoping to pursue his dreams of becoming a comedian. The 23-year-old tells E! he wants a girlfriend and is attracted to “weirdos, which makes Austin the perfect place to pursue his goals.”

My friend submitted a video audition to this. He had barely moved to austin when netflix had the press release asking for submissions. He has a full time job but mainly moved out there because he’s the singer in a band and wants to get noticed. I told him to mention that since I bet they’d want a musician as one of the people since atx is known for that. They probably couldn’t get past his rgv accent. 

24 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Downtown Austin is not, to me Austin anymore. 

Multiple "characters" are unemployed, so of course they'll be living in downtown Austin.  Probably in some fancy place overlooking Town Lake or Barton Springs, making a bunch of people outside of Austin think "oh wow, I can do that, looks like everybody in Austin lives on a lake and goes paddle boarding at lunch!"

Little do viewers outside of Austin realize that downtown Austin is actually The Domain.

Wait.

Side Eye Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 7

This was the casting call info: https://austonia.com/netflix-roaring-20s

Also, looks like they are living in one of those little developments out by Mueller, or possibly in The Grove/Bull Creek, and I could see either place paying Netflix to film there.  Could be wrong, lots of developments look the same these days.

But I can almost guarantee they won't show them sitting in traffic regardless of where they film.

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Also, looks like they are living in one of those little developments out by Mueller, or possibly in The Grove/Bull Creek, and I could see either place paying Netflix to film there.  Could be wrong, lots of developments look the same these days.

But I can almost guarantee they won't show them sitting in traffic regardless of where they film.

I am trying to get casted...what does it take? Fuck....

Waving Weird Science GIF by MOODMAN

42 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

They did this in the mid 90s. It was called Austin Stories. I think. I think it sucked too. So does this mean time really is a flat circle?

This will be the 3rd or 4th reality series set in Austin.  Would be interesting and aggravating to skip through them back-to-back (don't think I could binge them) just to see, and Austin Stories, Real World Austin, and Roaring Twenties Austin will all be about 10-15 years apart.

It'll just make us hate outsiders even more.

• Hook 'Em 1

One thing that hasn't changed about Austin, is the city is still begging people to pay attention to them. Back in the 90s it was getting Hollywood to film there, now they've got F1, Tesla, Apple etc. It's what they wanted, good and bad. They should not allow anymore reality shows, they're past that now, or should be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Dewey said:

One thing that hasn't changed about Austin, is the city is still begging people to pay attention to them. Back in the 90s it was getting Hollywood to film there, now they've got F1, Tesla, Apple etc. It's what they wanted, good and bad. They should not allow anymore reality shows, they're past that now, or should be. 

Austin is the Instagram influencer chick of cities. 

That would be more intriguing to me, to hear the stories of people who voluntarily left Austin.  In the last decade, I can count the friends and coworkers who've moved away from Austin on one hand.  Each story was actually quite compelling.  

Let's just be honest about where this conversation is going.  How long until there's a "Real Housewives of Austin" TV franchise?  I'm guessing before 2025.  

35 minutes ago, Deej said:

Austin Stories wasn't a "reality" show, although it was probably more real than the Real World and whatever this piece of shit turns out to be. 

man, I'd still love to find those old episodes.  There was a dump of the first two online for free a couple years ago (maybe at start of pandemic).  But that was that.  I'd really like to rewatch it, granted it was only one season.  But in hindsight...it was way more spot-on about Austin than any reality show even though it was obviously scripted.  Plus, they did a great job of showing, even through b-roll, how Austin looked/felt around the turn of the century.  

This new thing is just gonna devolve into the same old shit.  but hey, at least we'll have a high-production value benchmark on which to look back to see what Austin looked like in 2020/Covid/2021 when we're twenty years older.  

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

man, I'd still love to find those old episodes.  There was a dump of the first two online for free a couple years ago (maybe at start of pandemic).  But that was that.  I'd really like to rewatch it, granted it was only one season.  But in hindsight...it was way more spot-on about Austin than any reality show even though it was obviously scripted.  Plus, they did a great job of showing, even through b-roll, how Austin looked/felt around the turn of the century.  

It was sort of a low-rent Portlandia for late-90's Austin. 

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

The next reality show should be about five long-time Austin residents who moved the fuck out. Think of all the other cool places the show could preview.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

That would be more intriguing to me, to hear the stories of people who voluntarily left Austin.  In the last decade, I can count the friends and coworkers who've moved away from Austin on one hand.  Each story was actually quite compelling.  

Let's just be honest about where this conversation is going.  How long until there's a "Real Housewives of Austin" TV franchise?  I'm guessing before 2025.  

That would be cool as fuck, and I would watch that.

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

No way that's the Grove. Just based on the pic in trailer I'd say east Austin. Looks fairly similar to one I've seen on east 12th

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Well it would be called the Real Housewives of Austin but really just be set in Lakeway.

• Haha 1

Ok admit it.  Some of you complainers moved to Austin in the 90s---pulled in by Austin Stories/Real World. Now you guys are old heads married to a fat nagging wife and raising 2+ spoiled ass kids.  I can talk shit because I'm a native Austinite/Texan.  All you assholes invaded my shit : )

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Ok admit it.  Some of you complainers moved to Austin in the 90s---pulled in by Austin Stories/Real World. Now you guys are old heads married to a fat nagging wife and raising 2+ spoiled ass kids.  I can talk shit because I'm a native Austinite/Texan.  All you assholes invaded my shit : )

And every single one of them is eating at the Chili's off 45th and Lamar.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

I dunno. Maybe this new show will be just like slacker.