LSU offers Lincoln Riley massive contract?

lilMAC25

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, that’s what they’re implying. Orge isn’t exactly leaving LSU on good terms. 

I've heard Feldman report critically on LSU this year. IF Oeaux's camp were putting something in his ear about Riley, Feldman's not so stupid as to report it without checking other sources and/or explicitly sourcing it as coming from LSU's staff.

LOL at Riley being a mediocre coach.  What a fucking moronic take.  Probably same people believe that Harbaugh and Gundy are all of a sudden great coaches because they finally did something that is a complete one off to their usual.  

There is one all timer in the game in Nick.

There are ~5 great coaches out there and Riley easily fits in this category.  

Then there is a lot of good to very good.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I might be in the minority but I hope OUsux keeps Riley. He’s a mediocre coach imho and I’m substantially worried OU is gonna hire Meyer or a better coach. 

Damn.  I’m not happy with him but mediocre?  Of course I fantasize about him leaving (on his own) and getting some savant but he’s top 5-6 for sure.  

9 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

LOL at Riley being a mediocre coach.  What a fucking moronic take.  Probably same people believe that Harbaugh and Gundy are all of a sudden great coaches because they finally did something that is a complete one off to their usual.  

Yep - before this season I’d have put Dabo below Nick but above the others, in his own category.  But this year put him back w the rest, even of ahead of them in that same category.  

28 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I don't believe Riley is mediocre, but I also don't agree he is great.  He owes some of his success to UT being down and floundering for the past decade and a half.  That has helped him out-recruit his only real year in/year out competition, which then resulted in better records.    If he went to LSU he would be just as good as he is at OU and would probably have an easier time recruiting.  

Right now OU is a powerhouse under Riley.  LSU is down and aggy is down.  A move by Jimbo just insures LSU stays down.  aggy will hire another mediocre coach, so they will stay down.   Under that scenario, OU is the one obstacle for us to reclaim top tier status.  

But if Riley does move, then LSU is strengthened, and OU would most likely hire a strong replacement, so they would remain in that upper tier.  So we would be fighting both LSU and OU, though OU could falter with the wrong hire.

What I like least is the idea of Aranda going back to LSU instead of remaining in the soon to  be second tier B12.  That would pretty much guarantee OU and LSU high level play for years to come.  But to me, Aranda seems to be the logical choice for LSU, whether I like it or not.

I do wonder what Campbell or Gundy could do with the recruiting goldmine that is LSU though. 

Edited by pyrohornIII
grammar and such
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I don't believe Riley is mediocre, but I also don't agree he is great.  He owes some of his success to UT being down and floundering for the past decade and a half.  That has helped him out-recruit his only real year in/year out competition, which then resulted in better records.    If he went to LSU he would be just as good as he is at OU and would probably have an easier time recruiting.  

Right now OU is a powerhouse under Riley.  LSU is down and aggy is down.  A move by Jimbo just insures LSU stays down.  aggy will hire another mediocre coach, so they will stay down.   Under that scenario, OU is the one obstacle for us to reclaim top tier status.  

But if Riley does move, then LSU is strengthened, and OU would most likely hire a strong replacement, so they would remain in that upper tier.  So we would be fighting both LSU and OU, though OU could falter with the wrong hire.

What I like least is the idea of Aranda going back to LSU instead of remaining in the soon to  be second tier B12.  That would pretty much guarantee OU and LSU high level play for years to come.  But to me, Aranda seems to be the logical choice for LSU, whether I like it or not.

I do wonder that Campbell or Gundy could do with the recruiting goldmine that is LSU though. 

Well, he seems to be an excellent spotter of QB talent (Rattler being something of an exception) and general groomer of offensive talent, as well as playcaller.

He, like a lot of coaches, seems to have a bit of a blind spot for "the other side of the ball"/defense.  He swiftly unburdened himself of Mikey, but Grinch doesn't seem to be a great improvement.  Maybe that's kind of a product of reliance on Texas talent, where I think we have established that all but the tip top are not ready for prime time.

8 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I do wonder what Campbell or Gundy could do with the recruiting goldmine that is LSU though. 

Man I agree with a LOT of what you said but this narrative about Gundy or Campbell being in the same discussion as Riley is a joke.  They’re closer to Herman imo.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I hadn’t considered Gundy, but that right there is a scary proposition. I wonder how he feels about being left behind in the B12. If he is looking at making a move, he could be extremely successful at LSU.

12 hours ago, Hozz said:

There is zero chance Riley goes to LSU.

That or a prediction that 100 percent Riley goes to LSU is the only impossible bit of speculation about the future.

Whatever the odds, this statement is incorrect. Even if you were Lincoln Riley, the statement is absurd. 

I don't know why people write this so much. It's like that stupid tagline on one of the commercials running during football games: Impossible is nothing. Just dumb.

Nothing personal, Hozz. It's just the latest example of something that rustles my jimmies.

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Man I agree with a LOT of what you said but this narrative about Gundy or Campbell being in the same discussion as Riley is a joke.  They’re closer to Herman imo.  

Campbell maybe, but I think Gundy is a good argument.  OSU has always had to make do with the table scraps OU and other left them, and they have for the most part brought in respectable teams.  I wonder how things would look in a universe where Gundy and Riley were to traded places.  I think it would be similar.  On the other hand, some people are better being underdog coaches, and maybe Gundy is one of those.  

Not sure we will ever find out, because I get the strong impression he is gonna be OSU's Bill Snyder.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, pyrohornIII said:

Not sure we will ever find out, because I get the strong impression he is gonna be OSU's Bill Snyder.  

If Gundy were ever going to leave okie st, doing so after beating the suck back into Ou would be the time. OTOH he's now in the B12 championship with, I guess, an outside chance to play on NYD. Early signing day isn't doing LSU any favors this year.

Gundy is a very good coach. His teams are always strong even with lesser recruits and mental toughness is never an issue. Shit, I wish Texas would have tried to get him. 

I had not considered him following in Les Miles's footsteps and leaving Okie State for LSU, but it would make sense. I just don't see LSU wanting him. I think Aranda is ultimately their backup plan. He would go back there in a heartbeat. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Gundy would be a weird fit at LSU because he apparently doesn't like to recruit. 

He might just be a Bill Snyder type that's best at a school like Oklahoma State vs LSU. Gundy with LSU talent would definitely be interesting to see what would happen though. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

USC appears to be waiting to see what Matt Campbell and Aranda will do? Napier appears to be headed to Florida. USC should have done something at the end of last season. I would love to see Gundy with a pipeline of 4 and 5 stars but I can’t see him leaving. If USC gets Campbell would like to see them get Fickell. 

I don't think Gundy willingly leaves oSu. That you can go 2-14 against your rival and still keep your job is pretty astounding. Most schools would bounce you for that. I think he likes being a disruptor. I'd imagine he's comfortable in Stillwater and that's enough for him. I'm just glad finally took down OU. 

• Hook 'Em 2

There's going to be a pecking order in the New12 and Gundy is poised to be at the top of that order. That conference will still be receiving some preferential treatment with regards to admittance into the BBC (big beauty contest) and he won't have to play his nemesis every year nor an Alabama or Georgia. 

Gundy's problem is in most of his years he has one or two games where you just look at what he is calling and think, "what the fuck?"  I remember in 2019 we were struggling big time by late in the game to cover anybody and Gundy just kept handing the ball to Hubbard or Spencer ran.  

LSU has been there, done that with Les Miles.

Edited by Surly Bevo

Gundy would be a weird fit at LSU because he apparently doesn't like to recruit. 
He might just be a Bill Snyder type that's best at a school like Oklahoma State vs LSU. Gundy with LSU talent would definitely be interesting to see what would happen though. 

The thing about LSU is that it’s probably the best ROI for a coach in terms of effort for recruiting results. They have the #12 ranked class with the #7 average rating, higher than Texas, after being garbage for two years and canning their HC mid season. You can absolutely cruise control your way to top 10 classes.

I think if Gundy was ever going to leave OSU he’d have done it now, especially because they’re going to have a shot to compete for conference championships and playoff appearances every year in the new B12 and expanded playoff, but if there’s a top tier job that wouldn’t scare off a coach who doesn’t like recruiting, it’s LSU.

Don’t take my mulleted friend, this was just about the best season I’ve seen him coach…and not just based on our record or beating 0U.  

The team has steadily improved despite nearly starting 0-3, the game plan has adjusted based on personnel availability and there is clear leadership with all the super seniors…hell my man Oliver, a freshman, was crawling on all fours to get the game winning sack.  

Sure feels like he’s staying put.  I kinda hope Knowles becomes HCIW.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Homercles said:

Don’t take my mulleted friend, this was just about the best season I’ve seen him coach…and not just based on our record or beating 0U.  

The team has steadily improved despite nearly starting 0-3, the game plan has adjusted based on personnel availability and there is clear leadership with all the super seniors…hell my man Oliver, a freshman, was crawling on all fours to get the game winning sack.  

Sure feels like he’s staying put.  I kinda hope Knowles becomes HCIW.  

He’s a perfect fit at OSU and he loves it there.  I think he stays a long ass time.  

12 remains a major conference and you guys end up a better program overall.  I really think all that happens.  

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, he seems to be an excellent spotter of QB talent (Rattler being something of an exception) and general groomer of offensive talent, as well as playcaller.

He, like a lot of coaches, seems to have a bit of a blind spot for "the other side of the ball"/defense.  He swiftly unburdened himself of Mikey, but Grinch doesn't seem to be a great improvement.  Maybe that's kind of a product of reliance on Texas talent, where I think we have established that all but the tip top are not ready for prime time.

Isn't Rattler the only starter he's groomed at OU? Every other QB he's had until Williams was spotted by someone else and started somewhere else first. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I hear fucking boosters wives and offering to fight with your shirt off are in the "desired but not required" category.

At ou, they skip the boosters and just start fucking the assistant coach's wife. Probably drinking a Pearl as he goes balls deep.

Isn't Rattler the only starter he's groomed at OU? Every other QB he's had until Williams was spotted by someone else and started somewhere else first. 
This. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but I think he's overrated. He inherited what Stoops built, and then he kept getting mercenary quarterbacks of championship caliber. This is really his first build project and they don't make the CCG...

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

True, but Kyler had not done much at aTm, iirc.  He was definitely highly sought out of HS.

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yep - before this season I’d have put Dabo below Nick but above the others, in his own category.  But this year put him back w the rest, even of ahead of them in that same category.  

Dabo is Mack Brown without a Bobby Bowden/Bob Stoops in his division. He's an elite recruiter. He's a good college coach because of his recruiting, but no where near elite at the actual coaching part. 

• Like 1