Chinese tennis player makes allegations against state official, with predictable results

Satoshi

So as I understand the timeline:

- Tennis player levels sex abuse charges against a high ranking Communist Party member

- Tennis player disappears a few weeks

- Tennis player sends an email that all is OK and oh, by the way, I am also a liar about all that sex stuff so lets just forget it

- Chinese state media sends proof of life photos

- Tennis player pops up at a few "public events" where only state media is present

I am certainly reassured that all is fine now, thanks Pooh Bear Xi for your response. 

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So as I understand the timeline:

- Tennis player levels sex abuse charges against a high ranking Communist Party member

- Tennis player disappears a few weeks

- Tennis player sends an email that all is OK and oh, by the way, I am also a liar about all that sex stuff so lets just forget it

- Chinese state media sends proof of life photos

- Tennis player pops up at a few "public events" where only state media is present

I am certainly reassured that all is fine now, thanks Pooh Bear Xi for your response. 

Pretty much. 

To their credit the women’s tennis tour and players are not satisfied. Looks like they’re willing to dump China over it. The year end finals are supposed to be in China going forward but there are talking of having them in Guadalajara of all places. That’s where it was this year and players were happy with it. 

3 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Pretty much. 

To their credit the women’s tennis tour and players are not satisfied. Looks like they’re willing to dump China over it. The year end finals are supposed to be in China going forward but there are talking of having them in Guadalajara of all places. That’s where it was this year and players were happy with it. 

Guadalajara? That's the missing persons capital of North America.

5 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Pretty much. 

I wonder if things start impacting the Olympics next.  

15 hours ago, Goredho said:

This is how someone gets themselves disappeared in China.

I've done worse. I got caught several times bypassing China's Great Firewall so that some Chinese citizens could access a wide open internet. Received numerous letters from the government of China telling me to cut it out. Also caught shit for violating their encryption laws a couple of times.

I am on a list somewhere over there. I don't plan on ever stepping foot in China. They can keep their egg rolls and lemon chicken.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai has denied saying she was sexually assaulted, despite a November social media post attributed to her that accused a former top Communist Party official of forcing her into sex.

The Lianhe Zaobao Chinese-language newspaper posted a video of Peng it says was taken Sunday in Shanghai in which she said she has been mainly staying at home in Beijing but was free to come and go as she chose.

"First of all, I want to emphasize something that is very important. I have never said that I wrote that anyone sexually assaulted me. I need to emphasize this point very clearly," Peng told the newspaper's reporter.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/32906809/peng-shuai-tells-newspaper-china-never-wrote-being-sexually-assaulted-post-said-different

• 1 month later...

Kinda fits here.  Uygher skier becomes the face of China until she loses.  Now she kinda disappeared.  Hinky.

An Uyghur athlete who became the face of China's Winter Games after lighting the Olympic flame at the Opening Ceremony has 'disappeared' from the spotlight.

Dinigeer Yilamujiang, 20, from the Altay Prefecture in Northern Xinjiang, finished 43rd in her cross-country skiathon Olympic debut on Saturday and has since vanished from the limelight.   

She quietly slipped away after the event alongside three other Chinese athletes through a 'mixed zone', which allows athletes to pass through without having to answer questions from the media. 

Ms Yilamujiang, who is the only athlete of Uyghur heritage, became the main focus of the Olympics following her controversial appearance at the Opening Ceremony - which rights groups have since criticised for 'giving a political message'. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10482873/Uyghur-skier-20-disappears-finishing-43rd-Nordic-combined-debut.html

Edited by Parliament

The whole point of the Olympics is to foster friendly competition outside of political bullshit. Boycotting for political reasons goes against that and shouldn't be done. 

Besides, it's not like the US is some benevolent force of good and righteousness. The US has been decimating the populations of Afghanistan and Iraq for decades now and single handedly created the power vacuum that gave rise to ISIS. The US is completely dysfunctional with a government every bit as corrupt and evil as others on the planet. No Americans should be acting like they're above the fray. 

2 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

The whole point of the Olympics is to foster friendly competition outside of political bullshit. Boycotting for political reasons goes against that and shouldn't be done. 

Besides, it's not like the US is some benevolent force of good and righteousness. The US has been decimating the populations of Afghanistan and Iraq for decades now and single handedly created the power vacuum that gave rise to ISIS. The US is completely dysfunctional with a government every bit as corrupt and evil as others on the planet. No Americans should be acting like they're above the fray. 

Not to mention that the majority of our electronics industry is dependent on China. It would be kind of pointless to abandon the Olympics and shun China for political reasons when US companies like Apple, Dell, HP etc... are more than willing to rake profits by manufacturing in China. When the american consumer decides he wont walk around with an iPhone because its made in China we can......what am I saying, the american consumer likes cheap shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

Why were you against that?

16 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

7 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Not to mention that the majority of our electronics industry is dependent on China. It would be kind of pointless to abandon the Olympics and shun China for political reasons when US companies like Apple, Dell, HP etc... are more than willing to rake profits by manufacturing in China. When the american consumer decides he wont walk around with an iPhone because its made in China we can......what am I saying, the american consumer likes cheap shit. 

Guys, I'm sorry I brought it up.  I don't want this thread to go CR.