Beef ribs

Buzzrock

My trick for beef ribs has always been to get drunk and to forget to take them off for about 30-45 minutes after you think they're pretty much done. There's a lot of fat pockets to render in there. 

A perfectly smoked beef rib will bring this grown man to tears. 

• 1 month later...

Every once in a while, my local WalMart will have packs of plate chuck ribs.  These were only about $20 and were as good as the plate/chucks I've gotten from the butcher. 

Plus, there were no packers to be found, and I wanted to put something on the smoker.

q-A85p-Av-Cu-LF5-DLdmtgu-GHPfe-Cnl9-Xy-Q

• Like 5

8 hours ago, deft said:

I mixed the Dalmatian mix 50/50 by volume. Is it supposed to be by weight? I also added just a dash of garlic powder and chili powder.

1:1 is pretty ridiculous but if you get something edible good for you.  normal practice is pepper >>>>>>>> salt.  often I’ve heard 10:1 and champ is saying 7:1 but champ is a notorious curmudgeon who excoriates most of his peers so it’s hard to parse through his personal attacks to find the pertinent information.  but don’t be shy with that pepper. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

8f7557fe20c42b85cd995e26888b9336.jpg

I need more practice. I got a little impatient because I got a late start, so the middle ribs had a little more pull to them than I’d like. End ribs probed like butter. They were all quite tasty. About 5.5 hrs on the BGE with some hickory chunks.

b1ae7591bb30588413ebacca0cf2c5e5.jpg

afa061668e58818748bfd67fedcbcdb7.jpg

6e370e46dd655296322abdde21c858a2.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2019 at 1:17 PM, deft said:

I mixed the Dalmatian mix 50/50 by volume. Is it supposed to be by weight? I also added just a dash of garlic powder and chili powder.

On 2/25/2019 at 2:51 PM, ChampKind said:

By weight. And you want to do a minimum of 7:1 pepper:salt (coarse kosher)

On 2/25/2019 at 9:40 PM, futureman said:

1:1 is pretty ridiculous but if you get something edible good for you.  normal practice is pepper >>>>>>>> salt.  often I’ve heard 10:1 and champ is saying 7:1 but champ is a notorious curmudgeon who excoriates most of his peers so it’s hard to parse through his personal attacks to find the pertinent information.  but don’t be shy with that pepper. 

About the 6:25 mark.  Looks pretty close to 1:1 to me.  Maybe 2:1 pepper?  Nowhere near 7 or 10.  What am I missing?

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

About the 6:25 mark.  Looks pretty close to 1:1 to me.  Maybe 2:1 pepper?  Nowhere near 7 or 10.  What am I missing

I don’t know if brisket is different.  I think I saw a beef rib video from the louie mueller’s guy mixing 10:1 but I also don’t do this for a living so champ can weigh in.

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

I don’t know if brisket is different.  I think I saw a beef rib video from the louie mueller’s guy mixing 10:1 but I also don’t do this for a living so champ can weigh in.

The man on the tape wasn't specific, but again looks much closer to 1:1 or 2:1 pepper to me.  About the :50 mark...

this is not the video I was talking about but it is wayne mueller.  he doesn’t say the ratio but it’s very obviously pepper heavy, probably at least 7:1 (go to 1:40-2:10).

he does use a ton more rub on the meat than franklin and that probably wouldn’t work if it was 1:1 as it would be just too damn salty.  so my uninformed youtube opinion is that franklin just doesn’t use as much pepper on his cuts as other people do.  but the salt content is probably similar. 

Edited by futureman

About the 6:25 mark.  Looks pretty close to 1:1 to me.  Maybe 2:1 pepper?  Nowhere near 7 or 10.  What am I missing?

I don’t believe Aaron subscribes to the 9:1 philosophy espoused by the Louie Mueller camp. My personal belief is that 7:1 is the right mix. But what the fuck do I know...the James Beard Foundation doesn’t even know who I am.
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

I don’t believe Aaron subscribes to the 9:1 philosophy espoused by the Louie Mueller camp. My personal belief is that 7:1 is the right mix. But what the fuck do I know...the James Beard Foundation doesn’t even know who I am.

That'd be 7:1 by weight, correct?