Beef ribs

Buzzrock

29 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Just picked up a three bone rack of beef short ribs. I have a sous vide and a big green egg. Tell me what to do.

Beef ribs are surprisingly simple.  Small brisket on a stick.  They cook fast and taste great.  The Aaron Franklin video on beef ribs is a great start.  I believe he coated in hot sauce, then used his basic salt/pepper rub.  Cook on average 6-8 hours.  I still do a brisket here and there, but it's just so much food.  For the family, I do plate ribs and boneless beef ribs all the time.  

*edit, sorry, saw they were short ribs (not plate).  These cook fast and can dry out.  Spritz them every hour.  I'd pull after a few hours, place in a foil pan with red wine, cover, and put back on the smoker until they hit around 200.  Then pull, back on the smoker for about 15 minutes.  Strain the foil pan, reduce, serve over mashed potatoes.  With those little bastards, texture more important than time.  

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Small brisket on a stick.

Cannot be emphasized enough.  Blows my mind how many suckers there are every day at BBQ places who pay extra for or whine when they run out, of what is simply, just another form of brisket.

I've followed the Franklin video and they have turned out great.  Next time you're at the grocery store, go to the butcher and ask for plate ribs (I think they're also called chuck ribs).  They usually keep them in the back.  A niced size four bone rack  usually runs me around $25.  Definitely not cheap, but good eating.

This is the last rack I did on the WSM.

Good tip I remember from champ from TOS was that sometimes the beef ribs don't probe like wvb until around 214 F.

2v2il1i.jpg

12551c0.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Beef ribs are surprisingly simple.  Small brisket on a stick.  They cook fast and taste great.  The Aaron Franklin video on beef ribs is a great start.  I believe he coated in hot sauce, then used his basic salt/pepper rub.  Cook on average 6-8 hours.  I still do a brisket here and there, but it's just so much food.  For the family, I do plate ribs and boneless beef ribs all the time.  

*edit, sorry, saw they were short ribs (not plate).  These cook fast and can dry out.  Spritz them every hour.  I'd pull after a few hours, place in a foil pan with red wine, cover, and put back on the smoker until they hit around 200.  Then pull, back on the smoker for about 15 minutes.  Strain the foil pan, reduce, serve over mashed potatoes.  With those little bastards, texture more important than time.  

I cook 3 and 4 bone ribs the same.  And red wine in a pan never comes close to my smoker. Am I doing it wrong?

• Like 1

Picked up half a cow a few weeks ago. Processor thought I was nuts when they called beforehand and asked for cuts. I said I wanted some nice, thick plate ribs out of it. 

“You don’t want that in the hamburger pile?”

Um... fuck no. So I had to ‘splain’ to her the 4 ribs and how I wanted them cut. She also thought I was crazy for wanting the whole brisket. Stupid Missouri people. 

Turned out to be great looking cuts though. So whoever cut it up knew what the deal was. I’ll have to trim the brisket just a tick, but they did a nice job on keeping the fat cap to about 1/4”.

On 5/18/2018 at 11:01 PM, Anastasis said:

I cook 3 and 4 bone ribs the same.  And red wine in a pan never comes close to my smoker. Am I doing it wrong?

For the larger plate ribs - I smoke those exactly as I would brisket, other than I never wrap.  For the smaller short ribs, that can so easily dry out, I follow a modified braised short rib recipe in the smoker.  

Smoker.  Pan.  Smoker.  Broiler.

Chuck ribs come from bones 1-5. Plate come from 6-9. They are both from the short plate primal cut. Chuck ribs cook just fine (that's actually the cut that some of the more well-known bbq joints use).

Fun fact: if you are cooking a traditional bbq cut and it comes out dry, it most likely means you didn't cook it long enough. Moisture comes from intramuscular fat is it breaks down. 

Also, the texture and fat content of chuck and plate ribs is significantly different than brisket. And the meat has a much more rich flavor to it. I rarely offer beef ribs simply because they take up a ton of space on the pit. But given the choice between beefers and brisket, most folks will opt for the beefer.

• Like 3

Chuck ribs come from bones 1-5. Plate come from 6-9. They are both from the short plate primal cut. Chuck ribs cook just fine (that's actually the cut that some of the more well-known bbq joints use).
Fun fact: if you are cooking a traditional bbq cut and it comes out dry, it most likely means you didn't cook it long enough. Moisture comes from intramuscular fat is it breaks down. 
Also, the texture and fat content of chuck and plate ribs is significantly different than brisket. And the meat has a much more rich flavor to it. I rarely offer beef ribs simply because they take up a ton of space on the pit. But given the choice between beefers and brisket, most folks will opt for the beefer.

Beef short ribs are terrific but you’re right, they’re ridiculously rich.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Costco has really good ones. You can also get them at HEB which is where I normally do, but they aren't as nice as the ones Costco usually has.

yep, ive seen them frequently at Costco.  Usually at HEB, you have to ask the guys at teh counter if they have any unmolested short ribs in the cryovac in the back., 

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

And usually that guy has no clue what you are talking about for the first couple of minutes of the conversation, at least at my HEB.

There's always the one older guy who the new guy has to ask.  He looks at you from the back of the meat department, nods, disappears for a few minutes, and then brings you your cryovac pack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Focht Up said:

Any recommendations on where to purchase a rack of plate ribs?

Go to the butcher counter at your grocery store and tell them you want 3--4 rack plate ribs.  They probably have them in the back.  They're generally fairly enthusiastic to break them out in my experience.  The only extra cost is the extra small talk about how you plan to cook them and how they want you to bring them some.  I've never had anyone look at me dumbfounded when I asked.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Go to the butcher counter at your grocery store and tell them you want 3--4 rack plate ribs.  They probably have them in the back.  They're generally fairly enthusiastic to break them out in my experience.  The only extra cost is the extra small talk about how you plan to cook them and how they want you to bring them some.  I've never had anyone look at me dumbfounded when I asked.

LOL This is almost exactly how my conversation with the Central Market butcher goes, every time.

• Like 1

I’ve had good luck with Whole Foods as well. Most of the time it’s best to ask for a whole rack of beef short ribs. The whole chuck/plate distinction is what causes a bunch of confusion. Most retail grocery stores have racks of chuck short ribs. Plates are usually wholesale or at Restaurant Depot etc.

Just now, mycox said:

This probably should go in the Unpopular Opinions Thread thread. Beef ribs are overrated. Why pay that extra money when the old fashioned brisket is just as good and cheaper?

I gagree. The beefers can be overwhelming most of the time. Brisket always finds the sweet spot imo. 

15 hours ago, Mack Tripper said:

I’ve had good luck with Whole Foods as well. Most of the time it’s best to ask for a whole rack of beef short ribs. The whole chuck/plate distinction is what causes a bunch of confusion. Most retail grocery stores have racks of chuck short ribs. Plates are usually wholesale or at Restaurant Depot etc.

Would dropping the IMPS product number (123A I think) help I wonder?

This probably should go in the Unpopular Opinions Thread thread. Beef ribs are overrated. Why pay that extra money when the old fashioned brisket is just as good and cheaper?

A rack of beef ribs is a better choice sometimes if you’re cooking for fewer people.

But yes they are ridiculously rich.