Beef ribs

Buzzrock

24 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Couldn’t keep the grill under 305.

Make sure you plan around an hour to slowly get the grill up to your target temp.  Once you go above your target temp, it is near impossible to bring it back down.  

Ribs look great.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Does the H-E-B routinely carry beef ribs?  I've looked a couple times lately (when they've been open) in the brisket area, don't see.

Ask the butcher.  They often have them in the back.  As they have become more popular, I have seen them sometimes next to the briskets.

The one time I got them from HEB, all they had were Select.  I think they usually saw them down to make tablitas.  

Edited by Jerry Callo

30 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Ask the butcher.  They often have them in the back.  As they have become more popular, I have seen them sometimes next to the briskets.

The one time I got them from HEB, all they had were Select.  I think they usually saw them down to make tablitas.  

Yup, they almost always have them in the back in cryopacks, rarely out front or in the big cases.  Ask the butcher and he/she will likely know.

Also, the above is pre-Corona, I haven't tried to buy any in the past month so couldn't comment on current availability.

• 4 weeks later...

Same bone at 6hr. Most of the pieces that I can reach are probe tender, there are 2 that still need a little more on the thicker sections. Letting them all ride another hour I think. Photos using flashlight as it got dark out.

spacer.png

All of the bones have pulled wayyyyyy back.

spacer.png

The Kamado has been running 225-250, creeping up very slowly as the drippings increase, and I've been closing the air intake more and more. It's down to about a pencil width now. The heat deflectors are absolutely coated in liquid, also making a heavier oil smoke that darkens the bark considerably. Definitely need a cleanout burn after this cook.

Edited by Sam Lin
typo
  • Like 9

Sam, much respek for what you're doing.

I love those big full beef ribs.  I grew up eating those at pachangas and such.  Even roasted in the oven as roasted costillas -- just salted and peppered and slow roasted to get a crisp outside.  I bet that what you're doing will taste mighty fine.  Looking forward to final money shots.

• 2 weeks later...

A coworker ordered pork ribs curbside from Costco. They were out, and substituted these flanken style beef ribs instead. He "didnt know what to do with them" so he gave them to me. 

Malcom Reed inspired me

20200525-115947.jpg

20200525-125531.jpg

20200525-125953.jpg

Fucking finominal

Oh yeah, used this for rub 12+ hrs in a ziplock

image-a2188099-c285-42ac-9e5b-3fa3a408d6

Edited by SurlyBDR
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2020 at 11:34 AM, utee94 said:

Yup, they almost always have them in the back in cryopacks, rarely out front or in the big cases.  Ask the butcher and he/she will likely know.

Also, the above is pre-Corona, I haven't tried to buy any in the past month so couldn't comment on current availability.

so the butcher at my HEB told me last week when I asked him for some, that due to the beef shortage, even when he does get any in, he's not allowed to sell them that way.  has to cut them up into those little 3"-long chunks I drunkenly raged about a some time back.

the Korean braised thing is good and all, but that's not why I built my smoker.

3 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Does look finominle. You can also look up Korean kalbi/galbi recipes, also a great use for that cut (or thinner). Hot and fast for kalbi.

I did see that recipe and will try it in the future. I wanted to keep it simple for my first time cooking this particular cut. 375 for about 40 minutes on the grill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Wow that's much nicer and larger than the  rack I have queued up for tomorrow. 
What done test do you all use for beef ribs? In my experience probe tender (brisket test) leaves the fat not fully rendered. 

A friend grabbed these for me at restaurant depot.

I’d like my beef ribs to get to 195 internal, but probing them just right is a bit of a bitch

Wow that's much nicer and larger than the  rack I have queued up for tomorrow. 
What done test do you all use for beef ribs? In my experience probe tender (brisket test) leaves the fat not fully rendered. 
Take it to 200 and do the probe test just to check. I try to probe between the bones and get all the way down to check for tenderness.

First time smoking beef ribs yesterday. There was a little extra fat I would have liked to see rendered but I was hitting 203* almost everywhere and it probed perfectly. 

Definitely a fan of beef rib over brisket for smoking at home. My kids devoured it with no sauce. 

D4F9D295-CC7D-47B0-AD18-B75702ACDC7E.jpeg

8AFDAE35-A87B-4BB2-B503-8B741A02350B.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I still don't understand this cut. I've been holding around 200 for over an hour to render the fat. They passed the jiggle, probe, knuckle test but when I cut in between them and turned them sideways it is obvious they are not done - lots of gelatinous fat. I'm putting them back in the oven and drinking another Oberon.