Beef ribs

Buzzrock

I gotta say, I took those two racks to 203 internal and was not happy with the result. The bone slipped out with a pull and I could not slice the rib meat beyond separating each bone.

I’m probably going to pull at 198-200 going forward. It may be a touch chewier but I’m into it that way.

About 1:45 in the oven after they hit 203 I pulled them. They were done, but you can still see the gelatinous fat there on the one side. Is that normal? Man they are rich. My girls won't touch them... Too fatty. The boy ate one. So I basically had the other 3. Not feeling great. 

20200705_210801.jpg

20200705_210807.jpg

20200705_211026.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

I gotta say, I took those two racks to 203 internal and was not happy with the result. The bone slipped out with a pull and I could not slice the rib meat beyond separating each bone.

I’m probably going to pull at 198-200 going forward. It may be a touch chewier but I’m into it that way.

Odd.  Never had that issue going to 203.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, AustinMT said:

They had the beef plate ribs at Costco today.  Typically it’s been the chuck ribs there.  Bought 2 racks for later

I've had really good luck with the Costco plate ribs. In fact, good luck with pretty much everything in the Costco meat market. 

What was the per lb?  Prime?

I may have to go buy some for this weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, TornACL said:

I've had really good luck with the Costco plate ribs. In fact, good luck with pretty much everything in the Costco meat market. 

What was the per lb?  Prime?

I may have to go buy some for this weekend. 

It was choice— no prime.  In fact, the prime selection on the whole has been down at Costco recently.  Will check the price

20 hours ago, AustinMT said:

It was choice— no prime.  In fact, the prime selection on the whole has been down at Costco recently.  Will check the price

Because the fat and collagen content in beef ribs is so high, the difference between choice and prime is negligible in my experience.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Because the fat and collagen content in beef ribs is so high, the difference between choice and prime is negligible in my experience.  

I don't disagree.  The ones I di this weekend were prime.  I did some choice about 6 weeks ago, and the photos are pretty similar and I don't recall there being any issues with the choice.  I am convinced that prime brisket is better, however.

8 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

I don't disagree.  The ones I di this weekend were prime.  I did some choice about 6 weeks ago, and the photos are pretty similar and I don't recall there being any issues with the choice.  I am convinced that prime brisket is better, however.

Agreed.  Prime brisket is likely better* because of the extra marbling in the flat.  I bet it be hard to tell the difference between Prime and Choice on the point - similar to the beef ribs.

*insert long explanation of grading beef here.

• Hook 'Em 1

Catching up on this thread and I remembered that I have always wondered why in the hell HEB sells those trimmed down beef rib racks they call beef fingers?  What is their purpose?  Who wants a rack of ribs that are almost entirely bone because they are trimmed down to barely more than a .25" of meat?  Cross cut ribs I get, because those cook fast and and are good to gnaw on.

• Hook 'Em 1

Catching up on this thread and I remembered that I have always wondered why in the hell HEB sells those trimmed down beef rib racks they call beef fingers?  What is their purpose?  Who wants a rack of ribs that are almost entirely bone because they are trimmed down to barely more than a .25" of meat?  Cross cut ribs I get, because those cook fast and and are good to gnaw on.

Those are back ribs and they’re for poor and/or stupid people.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 1:42 PM, luke duke said:

Those are back ribs and they’re for poor and/or stupid people.

The "they're for poor people" also matches up well with "poor mexicans who cook the cheap cuts."  For example, ribs like that used to be one of the daily specials at Angie's -- just rubbed with coarse salt, then oven slow roasted.  Crispy exterior, melty interior, beefy goodness.  They gave you 2-3 ribs, so you got a decent amount of meat.  I really liked them.

We look past the glorious simplicity of just salted, slow-roasted cuts of beef with lots of collagen, but we shouldn't.

That said, those ribs at HEB are way overpriced for what they are.  They're a cheap cut - they should be priced accordingly.

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The "they're for poor people" also matches up well with "poor mexicans who cook the cheap cuts."  For example, ribs like that used to be one of the daily specials at Angie's -- just rubbed with coarse salt, then oven slow roasted.  Crispy exterior, melty interior, beefy goodness.  They gave you 2-3 ribs, so you got a decent amount of meat.  I really liked them.

We look past the glorious simplicity of just salted, slow-roasted cuts of beef with lots of collagen, but we shouldn't.

That said, those ribs at HEB are way overpriced for what they are.  They're a cheap cut - they should be priced accordingly.

I grabbed some at WalMart back when I first was getting into smoking meats and couldn't find plate ribs.  They were cheap and weren't bad for something I tossed on with a brisket, especially.  I recall the comment on the Shag, being something like "British Smile."  Seems about right.  Still a tasty little snack.

Q238y-GGZyx-IYf-Foau-Ea-FKfk-Q-Wr-F5l-h-

Edited by dcbc

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

They won’t finish. Six hours in and at still at 180. Worried they will be daf.

Dunno your cook temps, but six hours isn't long for a rack that size in most cases. And since they have so much intramuscular fat, it's much easier to undercook beef rips than overcook them.

Just my $0.02.