Beef ribs

Buzzrock

Errbody else right. Keep on truckin'. They will be fine. That's a big ol' rack of ribs.
Bought this 7 pounder tonight, for tomorrow. 
20200905-154229.jpg
Which heb did you get those from? I was going to throw some on the smoker today but it didn't work out. Gonna work half day from home tmw, maybe I'll do it then

• 1 month later...

Just over 3kg dino rib for a day off on Tue.

ribs.jpg.215064193efa815f02f1640e6586d02d.jpg

Wallet for size reference, bowl of salt&pepper.

1943191247_sizereference.thumb.jpg.416ab28be2663dac8f3174bfdd1a16bf.jpg

Cross hatch scored through the fat and rubbed with salt and pepper the night before, 40/60 ratio by weight.

seasoned.thumb.jpg.b21e1d457397f86c9989103f6fa508a5.jpg

On the fire, 240 indirect. Took about 6 hours, probed tender about 203F.

1550679142_oncook.thumb.jpg.2355da809b19a88ccb9c2d2d9256a572.jpg

Off to rest while cooking the rest of the meal.

1285844098_donecooking.thumb.jpg.1c26736525b3f0bcfd2dd5b760a30e87.jpg

No fresh sliced photos as I was still cooking while everyone ate, but here's the cold leftover cut face 5hr later.

2139226723_cutleftovers.thumb.jpg.2328d2c3b2769c34e286d439a354c794.jpg

Was a hit. About half of the diners had never seen a beef rib cooked whole before. Diced a bit of the leftovers into pasta sauce last night, was fantastic.

Edited by Sam Lin
  • Hook 'Em 3

Perfect timing on that last post.  I'm doing my first session of beef chuck short ribs (choice).  I was going to ask the salt/pepper ratio and is it by weight or volume.  I see above you said 40/60 salt/pepper by weight.  Do I have that right?  Also, do you do any trimming on the outside fat?  It doesn't look like it from the pictures on here.  I was going to cook at around 240, these are 6.75 lbs, how long roughly is that?  cook to 200?  Thanks in advance...

5 minutes ago, dlatin said:

Perfect timing on that last post.  I'm doing my first session of beef chuck short ribs (choice).  I was going to ask the salt/pepper ratio and is it by weight or volume.  I see above you said 40/60 salt/pepper by weight.  Do I have that right?  Also, do you do any trimming on the outside fat?  It doesn't look like it from the pictures on here.  I was going to cook at around 240, these are 6.75 lbs, how long roughly is that?  cook to 200?  Thanks in advance...

Check out Aaron Franklin's youtube video on beef ribs.  Great starting point.

Season with some kosher salt. Don’t over do it. Then put as much coarse ground black pepper as you can get to stick. Don’t worry about the back side. Cook them at 300-350.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, dlatin said:

I mix by weight as it's the only way to maintain ratio with unknown salts. I do 40/60 or even 30/70 to keep from being too salty. I don't pepper as heavily as most, I prefer to taste the beef more vs a pepper crust.

I only trim outside fat if super thick, I'll leave 1/4 inch. I cross hatch score through the fat (this is not traditional), and rub the seasoning into each score. To me it gets more seasoning and smoke into the meat, as it can't penetrate fat, while allowing fat to baste down into the meat, and also giving me more crispy fat edges on the finished product.

240-300 all work fine. Cook to probe tender, not target temp. I start probing around 195 at 20min intervals. This one ended about 203. It'll take you 4-7 hours, higher temp will cook quicker.

• Like 1

The bottom has so little meat it basically winds up as discard, so as luke duke says, don't bother seasoning and don't bother with membrane. If you were braising the ribs, then I'd pull the membrane.

Regarding your comment on drip pan, I think it's just a photo effect. What you're seeing in my photo is the ceramic heat deflector under the meat. It got pretty soaked in fat drippings and I had a nice deflector fire when they got hot enough during the burger portion of the cook. Depending what you're cooking in, a drip pan with some water may be a good idea just to keep your cooker clean or to prevent a grease fire; beef ribs render out a lot of fat.

The bottom has so little meat it basically winds up as discard, so as luke duke says, don't bother seasoning and don't bother with membrane. If you were braising the ribs, then I'd pull the membrane.
Regarding your comment on drip pan, I think it's just a photo effect. What you're seeing in my photo is the ceramic heat deflector under the meat. It got pretty soaked in fat drippings and I had a nice deflector fire when they got hot enough during the burger portion of the cook. Depending what you're cooking in, a drip pan with some water may be a good idea just to keep your cooker clean or to prevent a grease fire; beef ribs render out a lot of fat.

Thanks, just saw this. I pulled the membrane, it came right off. I’m using a WSM so I have the water pan so I didn’t place anything to catch the renderings. Here we go, we’ll see if it is worth posting final results...bae1597a43f4eada35b013527be93fd8.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

That's gonna cook up real nice.  DO NOT be fooled by how it looks outside and pull too soon.  Like stated a couple of posts up, there's a LOT of fat in these thing.  It's damned hard to overcook them, but real easy to undercook.  Render the everlivin' fuck out of that shit.

If you're checking internal temp let it get to at least here before pulling/wrapping...

119525631_10158425637417348_4213217930428984557_o.jpg

119604731_10158425619697348_6860341578353190756_o.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

This is going downhill, I don’t normally sweat smoking ribs, shoulders, chickens. I wrapped them and they dropped temp after an hour. I pulled them out of the paper and put them back. I’ll give another hour and I’ll pull. I have to try them.

4 hours ago, RMac5 said:

I read on here or somewhere that when you think they are done, cook them for another hour. Pretty good advice when cooking beef ribs.

That is absolutely solid advice.

If you probe in between the bones and that point doesn't slide through like butter till it hits the membrane, just leave 'em on till that becomes the case.

• Hook 'Em 1

They look damned good.  What temp did you run at?

Assuming you ran sub 300, you might try cranking it up to 300-310ish.  Shortens the cook and results in that crunchy outside/butter inside duality.

Took Champkind quite some doing to get me to try, but once I did I've never looked back -

92891045_10157973663522348_8352295756614336512_n.jpg

92873775_10157973660937348_7153043207129923584_o.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

Thanks, I’ve been smoking meats for 10 years, just never done beef ribs. I’m still perplexed about the temp. I had a probe in during the cook that was reading the same temp as the thermapen I used. They felt done, probed like butter. They were cooking at about 310 most of the day. I pulled them after cooking nearly 10 hours and they were still at 183. I had wrapped them in butcher paper toward the end. When I checked them after an hour the had lost 10 degrees. It was all very odd. I finally just pulled them. They were delicious. I’ll definitely give them another go soon. Thanks for the help and encouragement.3e4d6a1b9e9a138d043a7bd176700ac3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/17/2020 at 4:12 PM, dlatin said:

I couldn’t help myself, had to take a very quick peek, looks great!

a0604e68b720a8962e22d878e5522f2f.jpg

Temperature issue may have been from your probe placement.  Looks like you might be touching the bone. I don't use one on ribs but if I did would try to go in horizontally, parallel to the grate, away from the bone, center mass.