Beef ribs

Buzzrock

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

i can never get mine that way. always dry and a little tough. 

10 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Cook them longer. 

Este. Not cooking to temp, cooking to feel. When they're tender, they're ready. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So the consensus seems to be that the plate ribs (dino?) do better on the smoker than short ribs?  I'm hoping to try some soon.

Plate ribs are short ribs.  Chuck ribs are also short ribs.  I prefer plate, but you can make tasty bbq out of the chuck ribs too.

The ones that are not short ribs, are back ribs.  I don't bother with doing those on the smoker but some folks do.  

Edited by utee94

Just now, utee94 said:

Plate ribs are short ribs.  Chuck ribs are also short ribs.  I prefer plate, but you can make tasty bbq out of the chuck ribs too.

OK, is the consensus that the longer cuts do better than the shorter cuts?  Correct my verbiage if need be, the only beef rib cut I've smoked is prime rib.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, is the consensus that the longer cuts do better than the shorter cuts?  Correct my verbiage if need be, the only beef rib cut I've smoked is prime rib.

Yeah I think plate ribs smoke up better than chuck ribs, and both are far superior to back ribs which are much smaller and have a lot less meat on them.

Don’t sell the back ribs short, imo. They’re cheap and still smoke up nicely.

Chuck short ribs are what I mostly do. A plate is usually 3 or 4 ribs and in the $30-40 range. Back ribs are maybe half as much cost for a rack of 7 or so ribs that has roughly a similar amount of meat overall

Those Dino ribs are probably $75-100 I’m guessing? Maybe 20% more meat than the Chuck plate, but superior quality.

Chuck ribs are often sold separated and then cut in half. I’ve not tried smoking them when they’ve been prepped like that, but my guess is they’d cook too quickly for the smoke to set in.

In my Publix, I have to hunt down the butcher and ask for an uncut plate if he has any

i can never get mine that way. always dry and a little tough. 

Honestly if I can do it anyone can do it. Trim them up a little, s&p, cook til done. Sometimes that’s a lot longer than you expect. I follow the Franklin videos on YouTube.
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Honestly if I can do it anyone can do it. Trim them up a little, s&p, cook til done. Sometimes that’s a lot longer than you expect. I follow the Franklin videos on YouTube.

I think I'm pulling the too early. maybe the alcohol is rushing me. 3 times and 3 strikes. I'll try again soon. Thanks for the tips

Smoked pastrami beef ribs yesterday. Even after a 14 day cure there was still a spot in the center that wasn't pink, think i should have flipped them over in the brine at some point. Absolutely delicious nonetheless.
78cdbfc8221b86cc9610e1f65158b940.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 4

leave whole

keep temp around 250-300

usually takes 5-7 hours, once it hits 185 or so start probing with fork.

Once it slides through easily take off heat and rest for 30 minutes. I usually put on pan in oven, mainly to prevent dogs from jumping on counter and stealing it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

On 7/5/2023 at 10:54 AM, jimmyjazz said:

How many ribs in a 6-lb-ish plate?  3?

On 7/5/2023 at 11:18 AM, blacklab said:

there were 3 in this one, have seen 4 

Plate ribs usually come in three-bone sections (since the entire plate consists of 6 ribs).  Chuck ribs often are found cut into four-bone sections.  Both are huge and delicious.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...