Beef ribs

Buzzrock

Temperature issue may have been from your probe placement.  Looks like you might be touching the bone. I don't use one on ribs but if I did would try to go in horizontally, parallel to the grate, away from the bone, center mass. 

Potentially - but I was trying to be careful to keep the probe away from the bone. I also used a handheld probe as a secondary check that was reading the same temp. Next time I’ll try to shove it in horizontally. Just glad it was so damn delicious. We cleaned it up!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My wife wanted beef ribs for Christmas dinner, so I gave it a shot.  I am very happy with how they turned out.  I followed the advice on this thread, so thank you all for the inspiration and information.

Going on the smoker.

Off the smoker before wrapping in butcher paper and resting while I made sides.

The cut ribs.

20201225_121341.jpg

20201225_172423.jpg

20201225_185751.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I don’t know what he rubbed them with, but my solution consultant did an absolute fuckton of ribs recently. Can’t vouch for what the hell he rubbed them with but he usually knows what he’s doing. I just wanted to post a pic of the pile o ribs.

ba044bef674a9f36dfe5f1baa8b6f52a.jpg

what did he rub them with?

• Haha 1

On 1/22/2021 at 12:55 AM, Sam Lin said:

This depends on the freshness and strength of your garlic, but most crappy supermarket garlic that has been sitting a while, you'll want to add more.

garlic is only harvested for a short period of time.  it's then kept cold-stored for the remainder of the year.  so, pretty much all garlic has been sitting a while. 

Edited by elfenix

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Any tips on how to cook? I assume 3-2-1 method doesn't work as well on beef dino ribs?

I cooked at 275 for about 4 hours, sprayed once around 3 hours with some apple juice then wrapped them in pink butcher paper for another 2.5 hours, pulled them out and let them sit in a cooler for an hour.  Less maintenance than pork ribs.  Leave the membrane on.

Edited by pearlandhorn

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Cajun said:

@VirginiaLonghorn

School me on Wild Fork.  

I'm afraid to ask, but what was per lb?

$9.95 per lb with free shipping for being my first purchase.  Came frozen in styrofoam container with dry ice.

They offer $29 annual subscription for free shipping of subsequent orders.

BTW, it was as tender, juicy, and tasty as you’d expect from a Prime grade cut.  I will shop there again.

https://wildforkfoods.com

10 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Costco beef ribs are fantastic. Typically $4.99 per pound. Found some in the freezer this weekend when I was digging out a brisket to thaw out. Will do those after the brisket.

Local Costco (or grocery stores, for that matter) doesn’t carry beef ribs or packer brisket (only totally trimmed flats) ... hence, mail order. 😡

10 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Local Costco (or grocery stores, for that matter) doesn’t carry beef ribs or packer brisket (only totally trimmed flats) ... hence, mail order. 😡

Oof. Based on username, not surprised. That sucks but like Both Tacos said, talk to the butcher at your Costco.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Costco beef ribs are fantastic. Typically $4.99 per pound. Found some in the freezer this weekend when I was digging out a brisket to thaw out. Will do those after the brisket.

Yeah, I do Costco 90% of the time and HEB when I'm in a pinch.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/7/2021 at 9:24 PM, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I don't know what part of Virginia you live in, but I'm also stuck here in Northern VA.  The Costco in Sterling is the closest to me, and up until about 3 years ago, it also used to carry only brisket flats.  After I bought my WSM, I asked the butcher there if they ever carry full briskets, and he said they did not.  A couple months after that, I'm poking through the meat cooler there, and what do I see but a bunch of full briskets, and they have carried them ever since...nice ones, too.  If you're in the NoVa area, check out the Costco at 21398 Price Cascades Plaza, Sterling, VA.  It's about a block south of Rte, 7, near the Loudoun campus of Norther Virginia Community College.

I've also found a store that carries proper beef ribs.  There's a local supermarket, Fresh World, in Herndon.  Walking through the other day with my wife, and noticed in the meat counter several trays of huge, meaty beef chuck ribs.  I've never seen beef ribs like this before around here, only the little short ribs.  I'm a happy man.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

I don't know what part of Virginia you live in, but I'm also stuck here in Northern VA.  The Costco in Sterling is the closest to me, and up until about 3 years ago, it also used to carry only brisket flats.  After I bought my WSM, I asked the butcher there if they ever carry full briskets, and he said they did not.  A couple months after that, I'm poking through the meat cooler there, and what do I see but a bunch of full briskets, and they have carried them ever since...nice ones, too.  If you're in the NoVa area, check out the Costco at 21398 Price Cascades Plaza, Sterling, VA.  It's about a block south of Rte, 7, near the Loudoun campus of Norther Virginia Community College.

I've also found a store that carries proper beef ribs.  There's a local supermarket, Fresh World, in Herndon.  Walking through the other day with my wife, and noticed in the meat counter several trays of huge, meaty beef chuck ribs.  I've never seen beef ribs like this before around here, only the little short ribs.  I'm a happy man.

Appreciate the info and the time you took to respond.  Fortunately 😎, I escaped NoVA in the late 80’s for the less beaten path around Yorktown.  Never looked back, never went back except for occasional business, and certainly don’t miss it.

I’ve tried unsuccessfully to convince the Newport News Costco butcher to carry more beef selections than whole tenderloin, strip, and ribeye (which are always available in Prime).  Our close proximity to Smithfield and NC seems to weight the selection heavily in favor of pork (which is also very good, but doesn’t satisfy my inner Texan).

I’ll try the Costco butcher, again .. but, I think I’ll explore Williamsburg for butcher shops. There’s bound to be one hidden somewhere among the outlet stores and waffle restaurants ...

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, NoName said:

did you wrap these at all or just leave it at 250* unwrapped whole time?

Unwrapped for the entire cook.  After 3 hours, I spritzed with cran-cherry juice every hour to keep the bark from getting overly tough (which also gave it a slight hint of sweetness).

Wrapped in butcher paper when removed from the smoker and loosely tented under aluminum foil for an hour’s rest.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Unwrapped for the entire cook.  After 3 hours, I spritzed with cran-cherry juice every hour to keep the bark from getting overly tough (which also gave it a slight hint of sweetness).

Wrapped in butcher paper when removed from the smoker and loosely tented under aluminum foil for an hour’s rest.

awesome, appreciate it!

• Hook 'Em 1

Goin’ to guns with a slab today.  305 unwrapped until it’s off the smoke in about 5hrs, then rest it wrapped tight in butcher paper.  Here goes nothin’ —

CCD1A067-18BE-4A8E-B11A-B67AB1F2285A.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
Oh, and rub is 50/30/20 coarse black pepper/salt/Cajun Chupacabra