Texas vs. West Virginia Game Thread -11am on ESPN2 - Colonoscopies and colonics would get you more excited

Pancho

4 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Come on, man.  We were doing well with Casey until he hurt his thumb.  He couldn't even handle snaps up until last week and he's basically just hoping passes go where he intends to throw them at this point.  He was nowhere this bad with accuracy before.  Even with the horrible QB play, terribad defense and all the injuries, 5 of the last 6 losses have been 1 possession games.  For starters, we need to kick PK to the curb and play a defensive scheme that actually does something in this conference.

It's impossible to determine what this team will do next season because Texas is about to purge half the roster. 

Like 70% of the starting roster spots are about to be up for grabs with anybody that has a pulse in the transfer portal. I'm definitely not predicting 9-3 or anything like that but there's no telling what this roster looks like next year. It's going to be a completely different roster. 

Trying to figure out anything about this current roster is a losing cause because half these dudes are gone. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Come on, man.  We were doing well with Casey until he hurt his thumb.  He couldn't even handle snaps up until last week and he's basically just hoping passes go where he intends to throw them at this point.  He was nowhere this bad with accuracy before.  Even with the horrible QB play, terribad defense and all the injuries, 5 of the last 6 losses have been 1 possession games.  For starters, we need to kick PK to the curb and play a defensive scheme that actually does something in this conference.

I feel for PK in the tiniest sliver of my cold black heart. We have zero pass rush unless we blitz. Our DBs cant hold up in man coverage. His defenses are on the field for 80 plays per game. There have definitely been some indefensible moments, but we generally play a serviceable game until we wear out late in the third quarter. I believe WVU doubled our TOP today.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

You're telling me last year's team had a QB that was drafted, a 2nd round tackle, one of the top 3 defense ends in college football, and a couple more 5th round picks. Wow, I am surprised that last year's team was better. 

I said nothing about last year’s team.

This year OU, OSU and BU are legitimately amongst the top 15 teams in the country. They didn’t out talent us. But those losses and the manner in which they occurred have caused the wheels to come off.

With respect to Utah, we’ve got dudes on both sides of the ball that competed and succeeded against them.

There is no definitive answer as to who on this team has improved since last year. That’s rare in college football.

But I need to not comment further cause it’ll make some angry.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

I feel for PK in the tiniest sliver of my cold black heart. We have zero pass rush unless we blitz. Our DBs cant hold up in man coverage. His defenses are on the field for 80 plays per game. There have definitely been some indefensible moments, but we generally play a serviceable game until we wear out late in the third quarter. I believe. WVU doubled our TOP today.

They’re fresh enough on 1st and 2nd down to make plays but on 3rd and longs they can’t get off the field

• Rage+1 1

Just now, OB3 said:

They’re fresh enough on 1st and 2nd down to make plays but on 3rd and longs they can’t get off the field

And when they do make a stop on 3rd down, you have to worry about some idiot getting a 15 yard penalty for roughing the passer, unsportsmanlike conduct, roughing the kicker or the 8 other things we usually do to keep the opponent's drive alive.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's impossible to determine what this team will do next season because Texas is about to purge half the roster. 

Like 70% of the starting roster spots are about to be up for grabs with anybody that has a pulse in the transfer portal. I'm definitely not predicting 9-3 or anything like that but there's no telling what this roster looks like next year. It's going to be a completely different roster. 

Trying to figure out anything about this current roster is a losing cause because half these dudes are gone. 

This kind of turnover would pretty much guarantee another bad team next year.  Good teams in college football have the bulk of players with time in the system.   You can’t rent a team.  You can upgrade at a few key positions.  

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I feel for PK in the tiniest sliver of my cold black heart. We have zero pass rush unless we blitz. Our DBs cant hold up in man coverage. His defenses are on the field for 80 plays per game. There have definitely been some indefensible moments, but we generally play a serviceable game until we wear out late in the third quarter. I believe. WVU doubled our TOP today.

Reminder that KU, who won only one game against South Dakota by the score of 17-14, scored 57 against our defense.  I have no doubt that South Dakota had zero pass rush, DBs can't play man, and they were on the field for a bunch of plays.  I hope I've killed the remainder of your sympathy for PK.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 3

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

This kind of turnover would pretty much guarantee another bad team next year.  Good teams in college football have the bulk of players with time in the system.   You can’t rent a team.  You can upgrade at a few key positions.  

Normally I would agree but there a couple teams that have flipped their roster and drastically improved the following year. See Michigan State this year 

Will Sark be able to do it? No fucking clue but the transfer portal kind of changes things because now when you have so much roster turnover you can replace them with JRs/SRs instead of true FR. The transfer portal at least allows you to fill holes with ok players that are experienced. That can sometimes translate into wins. 

Edited by texasstrong12

26 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Reminder that KU, who won only one game against South Dakota by the score of 17-14, scored 57 against our defense.  I have no doubt that South Dakota had zero pass rush, DBs can't play man, and they were on the field for a bunch of plays.  I hope I've killed the remainder of your sympathy for PK.

Ok that’s a pretty good one. Well done sir.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Haha 1

Normally I would agree but there a couple teams that have flipped their roster and drastically improved the following year. See Michigan State this year 
Will Sark be able to do it? No fucking clue but the transfer portal kind of changes things because now when you have so much roster turnover you can replace them with JRs/SRs instead of true FR. The transfer portal at least allows you to fill holes with ok players that are experienced. That can sometimes translate into wins. 

I guess Michigan State has drastically improved, but their defense statistically is shittier than ours.

Their schedule is incredibly favorable. Got Michigan at home after a Bye. Michigan outgained them 150 yards. Then lose to Purdue. MSU was never ahead and was down 16 late. Only outgained by 140. 3-8 Nebraska outgained them by damn near 200 yards.

The OSU is playing well but 49-0 and 500 yards at halftime is pretty pitiful.

They’ve played the 5 worst Big 10 teams. They beat a top flight Conference USA team but gave up 560 yards in doing it. They beat the worst team in the Missouri Valley conference. They did beat Miami, who wasn’t playing worth a damn at the time. There are 8 Big 10 teams with winning records. They’ve only played 3 and are 1-2.

Point being MSUs results this year are Fools Gold. The defense isn’t worth a shit. I have no idea how next year goes but I’d assume Walker goes pro and the defense remains.

We need sustainability and not a one year smoke and mirrors fix.
  • Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

We need sustainability and not a one year smoke and mirrors fix.

Then Sark won't be the coach here long. He needs an immediate fix or he's going to be run out of town. 

Building a roster from ground up with another 7-5 or worse season will serve no purpose because Sark will likely be a dead man walking. I don't see why these things are mutually exclusive either. Go transfer heavy and start developing the young players in the next recruiting class. 

Texas needs a one year smoke and mirrors fix to A) save recruiting and B) From Sark's perspective, to keep his job. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Then Sark won't be the coach here long. He needs an immediate fix or he's going to be run out of town. 
Building a roster from ground up with another 7-5 or worse season will serve no purpose because Sark will likely be a dead man walking. I don't see why these things are mutually exclusive either. Go transfer heavy and start developing the young players in the next recruiting class. 
Texas needs a one year smoke and mirrors fix to A) save recruiting and B) From Sark's perspective, to keep his job. 

He may not be here long. 7-5 might do it, but it depends on the context of those 7 wins. With our schedule next year, we won’t be able to pull off smoke and mirrors like MSU has.

First and foremost, he has to address the defense. I’m not convinced it’s a lack of talent. It’s not supremely talented, but I’m not convinced that supreme talent can be found in the Portal. Maybe it can. We need someone in the front 4 to wreak havoc. Preferably two. I’m including our edge guys there. We’re hitting that hard at the high school level so maybe they have a plan.

Then it’s the QB. We do need 2-3 legit dudes on the Oline for next year, but we need to recruit the depth for the future. Sark only uses about 3 dudes at WR. I think Worthy, Whittington and Washington are solid. Our TEs should mature some. Our RB room is good.

It’s a tough call on how much to use the portal because too much can be counter productive. Now where that line is who knows.

4 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I feel for PK in the tiniest sliver of my cold black heart. We have zero pass rush unless we blitz. Our DBs cant hold up in man coverage. His defenses are on the field for 80 plays per game. There have definitely been some indefensible moments, but we generally play a serviceable game until we wear out late in the third quarter. I believe WVU doubled our TOP today.

eh.  dude sucks.  his team is on the filed for 80 snaps again because they can't get a fucking stop on 3rd and 18 or 3rd and 15.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Chooky said:

4 - 7 SOUNDS bad, sure. Not bad. If they create 6 or 7 more bowl games then we are sitting pretty. If you guys can't get excited about the Logan Paul Bowl then you're sad. 

I'm hoping we hold out for the Gwyneth Paltrow "This Smells Like My Vagina" Bowl. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, dcar00 said:

eh.  dude sucks.  his team is on the filed for 80 snaps again because they can't get a fucking stop on 3rd and 18 or 3rd and 15.

That’s part of it. Our offense not getting a first down until the middle of the 2nd quarter definitely doesn’t help. Thank God we hired an offensive genius!

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

That’s part of it. Our offense not getting a first down until the middle of the 2nd quarter definitely doesn’t help. Thank God we hired an offensive genius!

An offensive genius stuck in the past with Lavell Edwards west coast game plan.

We've got two more years of this shit...

Sark somehow lost this team and achieved to be the only coach at Texas to have a regular season losing record in his first season since Dana X Bible in 1937. Dana followed up a 2 win season with a 1 win season in year two. 

Things will run their course and Sark will be gone after year 3 only this time he will tell us the Cup Cakes have been baked.

Edited by DanTheHorn

17 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah but you can't tell me that all of those coaches -- except Mack, at first -- just happened to get much worse when you hand them the keys to what should be a Cadillac of a program. 

Yes Bridgewater and Ward were excellent QBs who papered over the flaws of their coaches but neither of them was VY, Cam or Joe Burrow. 

There is systemic rot at the heart of our football program. Idk why people want to defend the boosters but some do. Are you yourself a meddlesome booster? Anyway, it's beyond a run of bad luck or coincidence at this point. Why does blowU succeed and we fail, year after year?

You have to look at the constants in the background because the foreground keeps shifting. 

There's my booster theory. Sometimes I give in to the "It's Austin" line of thinking -- that kids come here and are ruined by the tail and the partying, whether they succumb once they get to Austin, or they are attracted to Austin because that's what they want to do. Lord knows I've seen it happen with many a promising young musician from places like Dallas and Houston or small towns. As the son of a very famous Texas music legend once told me years ago "Yeah, they come here ready to set the world on fire, then they get a hot girlfriend, a pot dealer, a job at Thundercloud Subs and that's the last you ever hear of them."

Not quite as simple as “FIRE ERRBODY!” But more truth in here than some want to admit. Coach Royal had some athletes with behavioral problems too. They produced three National Championships. Because there was a very talented guy right behind them on the depth chart. And he had a stable coterie of coaches. Yes, it was a different day and time. Mack had talent too. And problem players. But he succumbed to his own motto: “Complacency kills.” And UT football has been in a death spiral since. Hope springs eternal. Some gritty players can pull us out of it. But players are still people with character issues. Quitters quit. Winners don’t quit until they’ve won. NIL will test character. Here’s to winning again. Hook em! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Even more mind blowing. No one in. THESE PLAYERS (not a team) wants to make the league.  I mean If you wanted to make the league wouldn’t you at least try 

Serious good question, Hulk.  1) Do they tell the NFL “it was f-ing poor coaching that kept me from playing well? 2) I’d love to see how they explain what they’ve put on film 3) how well do they do at the combine . . .if invited. 

15 minutes ago, Bobby Layne said:

Not quite as simple as “FIRE ERRBODY!” But more truth in here than some want to admit. Coach Royal had some athletes with behavioral problems too. They produced three National Championships. Because there was a very talented guy right behind them on the depth chart. And he had a stable coterie of coaches. Yes, it was a different day and time. Mack had talent too. And problem players. But he succumbed to his own motto: “Complacency kills.” And UT football has been in a death spiral since. Hope springs eternal. Some gritty players can pull us out of it. But players are still people with character issues. Quitters quit. Winners don’t quit until they’ve won. NIL will test character. Here’s to winning again. Hook em! 

One of the major problems with college football today is maintaining the depth needed to make this possible. 

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

One of the major problems with college football today is maintaining the depth needed to make this possible. 

Agreed. But we were thinner than usual for several reasons this season. Don’t know how many injuries are genuine, probably a few aren’t. But it’s been a bad year. I’ve seen it before and it’s a mixture of kismet and softness that does it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Sark somehow lost this team and achieved to be the only coach at Texas to have a regular season losing record in his first season since Dana X Bible in 1937. Dana followed up a 2 win season with a 1 win season in year two. 

Things will run their course and Sark will be gone after year 3 only this time he will tell us the Cup Cakes have been baked.

We can hope he's a better recruiter than coach and finds a QB and a pass rusher.  Being better in just those two positions would make a world of difference.

14 minutes ago, bullet said:

We can hope he's a better recruiter than coach and finds a QB and a pass rusher.  Being better in just those two positions would make a world of difference.

Also amazing how fixing an O-line to where our QB has a clean pocket to throw from will extend a lot more drives -- this helps both scoring and rests our defense too.

Gotta clean up mental mistakes too -- that's a big part of winning games.  

1D67262C-1010-4D7D-AF83-365DDB136FFE.jpeg

Edited by LTtxfan

35 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Too many FBS teams and too many athletes playing other sports, like lacrosse.

UT won't be stockpiling talent again. Those days are over.

14 hours ago, Texaspython said:

Just love what you and the mindless morons have achieved at Texas. Seriously, well done, we’re in great shape!

If Mack would've bowed out gracefully instead of hauling ass to Florida so he could get is last torpedoes launched before getting forced to the curb, we'd have Saban coaching this team today and where do you think we would be?  Fucking ass clowns...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Also amazing how fixing an O-line to where our QB has a clean pocket to throw from will extend a lot more drives -- this helps both scoring and rests our defense too.

Gotta clean up mental mistakes too -- that's a big part of winning games.  

1D67262C-1010-4D7D-AF83-365DDB136FFE.jpeg

So, we're going after guys that come to play school?  Cool.  

23 hours ago, Gaffords said:

If Mack would've bowed out gracefully instead of hauling ass to Florida so he could get is last torpedoes launched before getting forced to the curb, we'd have Saban coaching this team today and where do you think we would be?  Fucking ass clowns...

What an awesome narrative. Seriously, 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 11/21/2021 at 10:52 AM, Gaffords said:

Fuck that... Saban is no match for Texas Longhorn Football. We'd have brought him to his needs and sunk his career. He'd be lucky to coach peewee football after Texas Longhorn Football was finished with him.

FWIW—-Saban was never as close to signing to coach here as most believe.  And Meyer was closer to signing to coach here than most believe. 

And Mack’s antics in his final days were much, much more arrogant and pitiful than should be recalled.  

We’re stuck with Sark for at least one more season.  So buckle up campers.  Could possibly makE a bowl game if we can handle UTSA at home.  Yeah, that’s where we are.  We need to sweep LA-Monroe and UTSA at home on pre-conference play to have any chance at six wins.