Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

Here ya go aggy....our own visitor to Austin "real" feedback: (from The Daily Texan and the visit of Jimmy Fallon

A few months ago, Jimmy Fallon didn’t know what “hook ‘em” was. Now, he’s on campus and ready to party.

For the first time in the show’s history, “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” is filming on a college campus to an all-student audience. The show, airing on Thursday, will feature Matthew McConaughey, Chip and Joanna Gaines and Gucci Mane.

The Daily Texan sat down to talk with Fallon about why he chose UT and what he’s been up to upon arriving in Austin.

Daily Texan: So, why did you pick UT to be the first University to do a show at?

Jimmy Fallon: I saw you guys on an ESPN (College) GameDay or something and I was like, "What's the deal with UT? They look like a really fun school." And everyone was like "Oh man, Hook ‘em Horns." I was like, I really don't even really know what that is because I don't know about college sports, so I had to learn. But I was like, maybe let’s take the show on the road and go to a college, because our biggest fans are 18-year-olds and in college. We wanted to come and say thank you for watching and supporting our show. So then I said, "How about UT?" And the producers were like, that's the best, we should ask them and just float it out there, see if they like the idea. Immediately we heard back from the president, he was like "Dude, we'll roll out the red carpet." Honestly, we were so excited. We didn't even ask any other schools. This is our first and only choice. If this goes well, we'll take it to other schools, but there's nothing planned yet. 

DT: I saw you say on some promo videos that you're bringing the party to Austin. Has Austin returned that favor by bringing the party to you? 

JF: Yeah. Oh, my goodness. It is insane. This place has been a nonstop party. We've only been here a couple days, and I'm already losing my voice because we're screaming, yelling. I think the food is awesome. The music scene is great. But the people are just the nicest, most welcoming community. Everyone's like, "Yo, Jimmy go to this place. Jimmy you have to go blah blah like, here, you want a beer? You want that? Can I buy this?" And I was like, "No, I'll pay for stuff." I love to pay for stuff. Last night, I went to The White Horse and someone taught me how to two-step. It was really fun. It's opening my eyes to new things. 

DT: So, was The White Horse your favorite place last night?

JF: Yeah … well, I will say Hole in the Wall is an experience that not many people have, and they should just to check out the bathrooms alone. I took photos in there; I took selfies. On a break during shooting they were like, "You got to see the women's room." There's two toilets next to each other, no walls, no stalls. I'm like, "Wow, I've never seen anything like that in my lifetime." It was just a really great bar. You go to a place and you can feel if the place has good bones, and that place has good bones. You know there's a lot of good times happening in that place. I think if I was a college kid, I would love to go there. Even now, I would actually love to go there. I'm 45, I probably would stick out like a sore thumb. 

DT: What has your favorite UT experience been? 

JF: Getting to see the Tower and see how big this campus is. The school I went to was so small. I barely had a basketball court. You have a stadium that holds 100,000 people. That is insane. You're so lucky to have that. This is amazing to have this much opportunity. It's so beautiful here. Everyone's so nice, and everyone seems to be really proud of their school. I have my burnt orange T-shirts I've been wearing, and I got a football jersey from the president. So expect to get a loss this weekend when I play for the team. (The announcers will) be like a first man injured, comedian Jimmy Fallon, his head popped off. 

DT: Can you tell us what UT’s own personal celebrity Matthew McConaughey is going to be doing on the show? 

JF: He's a smart guy. I love him. He has been a great guest on our show before. He loves Texas and UT so much. I mean, honestly, he was one of the reasons too, we were watching College GameDay and he came on. He was singing “The Eyes of Texas” and Hook ‘em Horns and I was like, "Oh, this is fun." He's a good egg. I like that guy. So we'll have fun with him and just show how much he loves the school (and) loves Texas. It'll be a nice little kind of love letter. I'm going to go shoot a little piece with him just to show that he's a professor here. And I'm going to maybe take a test with him, and hopefully, all my answers will be alright, alright, alright.

he had BAYLOR grad on?

fuck that sack of shit.

• Replies 71.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

sorry for your loss
were you driving?

you must be a brit aggy.

brits do that all the time around the greater orlando area. crash into the numerous lakes around here.

when we first got here in 98 some brits dissappeared after a night of datw at epcot. 5 years later after a drought they were found in a lake in celebration after the water level dropped and the top of their rental car appeared in the lake.

John Stephen Jones, a starting quarterback in the great, mighty S!E!C!, where only "big boys" are allowed to play football and where every team is the greatestest in the nation, went 3/10, for 27 yards, and 1 pick yesterday. The kid stands about 5'8", and weighs about 180 with his uniform on. And is a starting "S!E!C! caliber" quarterback.

THAT is what aggys call "big boy football."

So far this year, the ags have beaten three S!E!C! "big boy" powerhouses with a combined record of 4-14 (none with a winning record). In addition, they have beaten Tx. State (3-6), Lamar (4-6), and UTSA (4-5).

So, in 9 games this season, the ags have only played two true road games, and haven't beaten a team with a winning record. Next week, they face a "conference rival" (with a losing record, of course) that could only manage 21 rushing yards all game in a loss yesterday to a Sun Belt team.

In their three games against teams with winning records, all of them were loses and at no point after the half-way point of the first quarter was the outcome of any game in doubt.

The ags are touting this season as a leap forward for their program under Jimbo Fisher, the most daunting schedule ever faced by a college football team, proof that "the sleeping giant" has awoken, and confirmation that their program has established a firm foundation for a run at a national championship in 2020.

And aggys can't understand why so many people mock them.

• Like 1

I was just looking over their opponents and headed here to say that their only real chance at having a win over an fbs team that finishes the season with 6 wins is if MSU wins the egg bowl to go 6-6. 

arky is out, ole miss is out, the only way South Carolina gets to 6 is by beating aggy.

and their patsy games, Lamar and tx st have to win out just to get to 6, and utsa has to go 2-1 against 6-3 southern miss, 7-3 fau, and 8-1 la tech (only one loss huh) to get there. 

so outside of a major upset by aggy vs LSU or Georgia, or MSU beating bama, it’s pretty much all on the egg bowl for them to have a 6 win team on their schedule that they defeated. UTSA is their only chance at win over a 7-5 team, and that seems unlikely. 

I assume they’ll get a crack at one in the bowl game. 

texas currently has wins over ksu and osu which already have 6 wins, and La tech which has 8.  And we’ll see how the Isu and Baylor games go plus tech has a shot at 6. 

aggy does currently and will continue to have the most impressive combined w/l of teams that have beaten them, and I’m sure they will say that they were in every one of those games.  Losing to 2 12-0 teams, 2 11-1 teams, and a 10-2 team in one season would be impressive. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I was just looking over their opponents and headed here to say that their only real chance at having a win over an fbs team that finishes the season with 6 wins is if MSU wins the egg bowl to go 6-6. 

arky is out, ole miss is out, the only way South Carolina gets to 6 is by beating aggy.

and their patsy games, Lamar and tx st have to win out just to get to 6, and utsa has to go 2-1 against 6-3 southern miss, 7-3 fau, and 8-1 la tech (only one loss huh) to get there. 

so outside of a major upset by aggy vs LSU or Georgia, or MSU beating bama, it’s pretty much all on the egg bowl for them to have a 6 win team on their schedule that they defeated. UTSA is their only chance at win over a 7-5 team, and that seems unlikely. 

texas currently has wins over ksu and osu which already have 6 wins, and La tech which has 8.  And we’ll see how the Isu and Baylor games go plus tech has a shot at 6. 

aggy does currently and will continue to have the most impressive combined w/l of teams that have beaten them, and I’m sure they will say that they were in every one of those games.  Losing to 2 12-0 teams, 2 11-1 teams, and a 10-2 team in one season would be impressive. 

Um, are you not aware that they're going to have super-competitive-ish losses to Clemson, Alabama, Georgia AND LSU in the same season when it's over? Something's going up on the wall to commemorate that super-hard schedule with which they were very nearly competitive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The bare minimum of being competitive in conference play is to post a winning conference record.

As it looks, aggy will now have gone 20 years without posting back-to-back seasons with a winning record in conference play and will finish the season without a defeating a single team with a winning record.

And they believe they are on the verge of a national championship run.

Even during their time of having 16 losing seasons in 17 years they didn’t go 20 years without back-to-back seasons with a winning record in conference play.

aggy needs to focus on the lofty goal of a winning SEC record. Then focus on two seasons in a row with a winning conference record. If they do that, it would be the greatest sustained upswing for aggy football in a quarter of a century.

Edited by Randolph Duke

30 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

Aggy is closing in on their would have been 7th consecutive had they stayed big 12 championship. That’s an impressive feat that deserves inclusion in the empty hall of champions.

Had aggy stayed in the Big 12 conference, this year would be their 8th consecutive conference championship. 

And had they joined the Southeastern Conference when it was founded in 1933, and then switched to the Big 12 in 2012, they would have had 79 consecutive SEC conference championships to add to their 8 consecutive Big 12 titles.

Being aggy, they deprived themselves of 87 consecutive conference championships by doing the conference switch backwards.

Edited by Randolph Duke

40 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

The bare minimum of being competitive in conference play is to post a winning conference record.

As it looks, aggy will now have gone 20 years without posting back-to-back seasons with a winning record in conference play and will finish the season without a defeating a single team with a winning record.

Even during their time of having 16 losing seasons in 17 years they didn’t go 20 years without back-to-back seasons with a winning record in conference play.

aggy needs to focus on the lofty goal of a winning SEC record. Then focus on two seasons in a row with a winning conference record. If they do that, it would be the greatest sustained upswing for aggy football in a quarter of a century.

Next year will be even better.  Could very well win 9 games and not a single one be bowl eligible.  The same 7 scrub teams they likely beat this year plus Colorado and Vandy.  

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Next year will be even better.  Could very well win 9 games and not a single one be bowl eligible.  The same 7 scrub teams they likely beat this year plus Colorado and Vandy.  

I’m hoping aggy gets matched in a bowl game against Wake Forest this year. 

That matchup would be great for their program.

aggy needs a true rivalry game they can start looking forward to playing. 

6 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I’ll take playing ND in the camping world bowl, would be a good game.  Aggy will get destroyed by kstate or ok state so I’m good with that too.

I’m sure it won’t matter who aggys is matched up against in their bowl game.

aggy will claim they didn’t want to be there, so the outcome of the game won’t matter. 

But if you dare suggest the only reason the aggys won WWII all by themselves was because the Germans didn’t want to be there, the aggys will claim you hate America. 

And remember, tomorrow is Veteran’s Day. Make sure you thank every aggy you meet for their service to the nation during their time in the aggy Corps of Cadets. Because if you don’t consider being in the aggy Corps of Cadets as active duty military service, the aggys will claim you hate America. 

Edited by Randolph Duke

14 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

will finish the season without a defeating a single team with a winning record.

without even looking, I am willing to bet that's never been done in the Alliance/Coalition/BCS/Playoff era

no team has ever gone from "Season X did not beat a single team with a winning record" to "Season X+1 national champions". 

further willing to bet that even after A&M slums its bowl game and beats some obviously overmatched shitstain of a team like they did last year, that no team has ever gone from only beating one team with a winning record to winning a national title the following year

25 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

without even looking, I am willing to bet that's never been done in the Alliance/Coalition/BCS/Playoff era

no team has ever gone from "Season X did not beat a single team with a winning record" to "Season X+1 national champions". 

further willing to bet that even after A&M slums its bowl game and beats some obviously overmatched shitstain of a team like they did last year, that no team has ever gone from only beating one team with a winning record to winning a national title the following year

Of course it has never happened. 

If anything has been proven beyond a doubt, it that aggys don’t know how to build things, including championship programs. 

With it becoming clearer with every game that Jimbo is not going to deliver instant success, now ags are starting to assert Jimbo is going to replicate the path to success that Dabo blazed at Clemson. What they don’t understand is that Dabo sacrificed personal compensation so his assistants could have higher compensation. This both set the example of personal sacrifice to achieve the state’s goal and created stability within the ranks of assistants as well as the entire program. Nothing about Jimbo’s contract and Sharp’s comments that that contract requires winning on the big stage soon indicates A&M is anywhere close to replicating Dabo’s model of building a program. 

The ags are not going from struggling to accomplish a winning record in their division once every few years to dominance on the national stage. It is going to be fun to watch them fail miserably (turdition), so I’m looking forward to the next few years of aggy football, but seemingly not having a strategy for achieving success two years into Jimbo’s tenure makes it clear they are just expecting it to magically happen. 

aggy’s biggest problem is that their freak show of a culture makes recruiting at a level necessary to build a championship roster impossible. This is true for every major sport. That impediment to success is not going to go away anytime soon. And aggy will never find success in any major sport anytime soon. 

2 hours ago, Leanderman said:

$EC will continue to shuffle their bowl eligible teams to try any way possible to ensure wins for all their schools. 

They've been doing this for years and the thing I have always wondered is why do the other conferences allow it to happen completely unopposed?

If the SEC can go in and manipulate and choose who they want to play in which bowl game, why can't the Big 12/Pac 12/ etc  just come back and say, "Never mind, we are going to send this team instead"?  Why is there no counter?

Is there some contractual agreement somewhere that says they can do it and all of the other conferences just have to send specific teams to specific places?

• Like 2

Next season will be interesting for aggy. 
Who knows what Colorado and Fresno will have, or if the guys at unt will have a good-for-their-conference level team with an air raid that can score on aggy. 
I’m guessing they already have those as wins, along with arky, vandy, scar, and the miss teams. LSU and bama with new qbs are obviously wins. Then some revenge motivation for the win at auburn and presto 12-0. 

39 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It will be a lot more fun making fun of aggy once I'm convinced we've turned the corner

Yeah exactly my thoughts.  It was more fun after we won the Sugar Bowl and seemed to be trending very positive.  But then this season happened.

The ags are right where I thought they'd be for 2019, but we're not.  

10 hours ago, Orange&White said:

They've been doing this for years and the thing I have always wondered is why do the other conferences allow it to happen completely unopposed?

If the SEC can go in and manipulate and choose who they want to play in which bowl game, why can't the Big 12/Pac 12/ etc  just come back and say, "Never mind, we are going to send this team instead"?  Why is there no counter?

Is there some contractual agreement somewhere that says they can do it and all of the other conferences just have to send specific teams to specific places?

When all the bowl contracts were re-negotiated in 2014?IIRC? the SEC (after negotiating the Sugar, Orange and Citrus bowls) and refused to sign any contracts and stalled until all their bowl partners signed and then slipped in a clause that the SEC would seed their team how they wanted in bowls 3-8 (or something like that, feel free to look it up) when historically the bowls paired up team from conferences with similar records and standings.  This allowed the SEC to stack bowl games and give the majority of these mid tier bowl games favorable matchups.  When the bowl contracts are renegotiated in 2024 it won’t happen again.  The SEC pulled a fast one and fucked over the bowls and the other conferences, which is why it’s even more ridiculous when they don’t do well in the postseason (on top of their inflated records since they only play 8 conference games).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

Are we getting to the point yet where we can finally be spared the sanctimonious bullshit that attending Texas A&M makes anyone a better person, more honest, more patriotic, or better in any way, shape or form?

We should have reached that point at least 4 decades ago, but it didn't happen, so the answer here is... nope.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Nothing in the aggy code saying you can’t swing a helmet at someone’s head. 

Agreed.  I'm seeing every mouth breather on ESPN saying that "a helmet is a weaspon."  Nonsense. Just because a helmet is a made of a super strong material and has a tactical face mask doesn't mean it's an assault helmet. 

• Haha 1