Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

44 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

ooh nailed it, guys

My favorite goal of A&M's to accomplish by 2020:

"Change the institutional culture. Develop an environment that focuses on discovery (thinking) rather than training, that promotes risk-taking, and that fosters solving the problems of the future rather than simply solving current problems. Develop programs to bring more distinguished scholars from all areas to campus. Project and market an academic image of the university."

In other words, morph from a fucking trade school to a legitimate academic institution.

Those rednecks have been bleating for years that they are "just like UT Austin" and the entire time their school administrators have been dreaming of completely changing A&M culture to someday, somehow "project an academic image."

Little did they expect Rick Perry was going to completely derail their hopes of texas A&M someday "projecting an academic image." Now, their ambitions are to "foster stronger relationships with the state's junior and community colleges."

At least they have finally found their true peer group.

• Replies 71.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

Yet another aggy "goal." How close do you think aggy came to this lofty ambition? lol.

"Produce graduates who understand the processes of learning, have broad-based interdisciplinary experience, are well grounded in their respective disciplines, possess the habit of lifelong learning, can create new knowledge, have an international perspective, and are competent in oral and written communication, analytical problem solving, and teamwork."

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That’s a list of who, 20 years ago, they wanted to be their peers by 2020. Right?  

No, that is a list of institutions aggy saw as their peer institutions in the late 1990s. Their goal was to be a top 10 public institution by 2020 and to surpass the majority of the schools on that list.

25 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I wonder who their peers are now with their 65% acceptance rate.

Lulz 

Let’s not forget that recently aggy dumbed down their transfer requirements so that a 2.5 from a community college guarantees admission to A&M (lower GPAs are acceptable on a case by case basis). And aggys think that is the academic standard of the top public universities in the nation. 

The people of Texas deserve better than Texas A&M. 

Edited by Randolph Duke

3 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Yet another aggy "goal." How close do you think aggy came to this lofty ambition? lol.

"Produce graduates who understand the processes of learning, have broad-based interdisciplinary experience, are well grounded in their respective disciplines, possess the habit of lifelong learning, can create new knowledge, have an international perspective, and are competent in oral and written communication, analytical problem solving, and teamwork."

That is practically fucking boilerplate from their accrediting agency.  I recognize every one of those buzzwords.

On 1/5/2020 at 2:36 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Or better yet, both he and Phglem can fight for the honor to be Head Fucktard In Charge, but tragically (thankfully) both perish during their epic battle of titty twister. 

I'll say it again, this collection of assholes has every variety of asshole.  This place wouldn't be this place without Phlegm, RD, you, jumping, humping, most, least, everybody.

Everybody.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2020 at 1:55 PM, Vic Mackey said:

I don't even know what this means

if a win over a ranked opponent = subjective

then a loss to a ranked opponent = objective

and

if a loss to an opponent with a losing record = factual

then a win over an opponent with a losing record = not factual

hence

all aggy losses to ranked opponents are objective

thus

all aggy wins over opponents with losing records are not factual

therefore

aggy finished the 2019 season with 1 win and 4 losses

abracadabra

praise bob

praise the laser projekt

14 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

the saddest thing is how credulous people who should have known better were at the time

looking at you, Texas Monthly

14 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

the saddest thing is how credulous people who should have known better were at the time

looking at you, Texas Monthly

I think it pretty much encapsulates "aggy" that that institution aspires to someday, decades in the future, be able to "project and market an academic image of the university."

How the fuck do you have a major public university that projects other than an "academic image?" Only the aggy culture could accomplish that. It's not just us who see Texas A&M as lacking when it comes to academics. The Texas A&M administrators recognize the image Texas A&M projects isn't academic. aggys are clueless to the fact that chanting "S!E!C!" whenever given the opportunity is in direct opposition to their stated goal to "project and market an academic image of the university."

Their own administrators and faculty have long accepted the imperative for Texas A&M to change its institutional culture. Their freak show of a culture is one of Texas A&M's major problems. It says a lot that they stated as one of their main goals to "Change the institutional culture. Develop an environment that focuses on discovery (thinking) rather than training, that promotes risk-taking, and that fosters solving the problems of the future rather than simply solving current problems."

How many Texans believe the culture of Texas A&M has changed over the past 20 years? The answer is "zero."

Texas A&M is a glorified trade school that wouldn't exist today had they not insisted they be designated a branch of The University of Texas back in 1875.

I'm going to post a random list of universities. Count the number of universities whose alumni take more pride in their athletic conference affiliation than in their own school or their school's academic image. I count one.

Texas A&M University
Georgia Tech
Indiana Univ
Michigan State
Ohio State Univ
Penn State Univ
Purdue Univ
Univ of Calif - Berkeley
Univ of Calif - Davis
Univ of Calif- LA
Univ of Calif - San Diego
Univ of Florida
Univ of Illinois
Univ of Maryland
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Minnesota
Univ of North Carolina
Univ of Texas
Univ of Washington

Edited by Randolph Duke

18 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

And have an affinity for the Oxford comma.

so conversing with one of the two aggy i'm close with last night...

amazing moment of self awareness. discussing niece's college choice (unt or uh), i joked about how much she hated atm campus. 

HE used the term diploma mill, talked about how it is probably negatively impacting the students/education. seemed a little bothered by it...

but then basically said being a diploma mill, creating as many aggy as possible... that tactic is to just increase the aggy network so that getting jobs is easier for them. as in, that's the specific purpose of becoming a diploma mill. and he's not wrong, at least in state leadership which is what i'm familiar with - state agency leadership is rife with aggy. i assume some private sector industries are similar...

so in a way...it's working. i hadn't really thought of it like that explicitly... he seemed resigned to it, like who cares if the actual atm education is high quality, they are basically guaranteed jobs 'in the family' regardless.😐

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 5:39 PM, Randolph Duke said:

Let’s not forget that recently aggy dumbed down their transfer requirements so that a 2.5 from a community college guarantees admission to A&M (lower GPAs are acceptable on a case by case basis). And aggys think that is the academic standard of the top public universities in the nation. 

Is this true? A 2.5 at a CC is auto admit? 

25 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Whoop.....there it is!

For anyone wondering, while a 2.5 GPA is the standard for transferring to Texas A&M, the average GPA of a student transferring to UT Austin is 3.75. The acceptance rate at UT Austin for transfer students is 28% for in-state applicants and 11.6% for out-of-state applicants.

https://admissions.utexas.edu/explore/transfer-profile

Edited by Randolph Duke

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

For anyone wondering, while a 2.5 GPA is the standard for transferring to Texas A&M, the average GPA of a student transferring to UT Austin is 3.75. The acceptance rate at UT Austin for transfer students is 28% for in-state applicants and 11.6% for out-of-state applicants.

https://admissions.utexas.edu/explore/transfer-profile

Not exactly apples to apples. Makes more sense to compare to UT's 3.2 CAP requirement. 

36 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Looks like a special Blinndergarten/aggy program you need to be admitted to first, maybe like Cap?

I thought you were saying any CC student with a 2.5 automatically got in. 

A&M has partnered with Blinn, Austin Community College, Houston Community College, Dallas Community College, Alamo College, Midland College, and I think a few others. 

Welcome to Texas A&M. 

And for those who have lost count, A&M is claiming enrollment as of Fall 2019 just a few rednecks under 70,000. 

https://today.tamu.edu/2019/09/26/fall-2019-enrollment/

Edited by Randolph Duke