Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

34 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, there aren't many disciplines where the ag engineering school ranks ahead of Texas.  I think people get this erroneous impression because UT is good at many things, while A&M's only decent programs are engineering and poultry science.

I'm kind of curious what they are actually better at, particularly in engineering. I was pretty good friends with a materials engineering prof there who has a pretty impressive CV, but even so, I always got the impression from him that he regretted not being able to get a more prestigious posting.

• Replies 71.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

We have college day at school every Tuesday.  One teacher I work with always wears aggy shirts, so I finally asked her about it today.  She wears the shirt because she believes her high school-aged child is on track for aggy.  Two funny points per her reply:

1) She doesn't think her kid has the grades to get into TX, hence aggy and,

2) Her kid is into robotics, and she was told aggy has both a better engineering school AND a better robotics program.

Quick search shows TX w/ the 10th best robotics program in the country.  aggy not on the list.

"She was told...." let me guess, by an aggy. So she was also told they have the bestest football and baseball teams in all the land. And the best band. And the best fans . And the best losses. 

makes perfect sense that the school with easier admission requirements would have a better engineering program, right

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Like 2

My FIL is an aggy back from the days when they didn't have women.  50% of the time he sees me he mentions that Texas is a girls school.  I guess because they didn't have girls.  Not sure.  Anyway.

He called me after their bowl game this year to let me know that Jimbo wasn't trying to beat the point spread.  I found that to be some next level aggy shit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Around the office, aggy proceeds to send me lists of teams that beat them, and their ranks, relative to teams that beat Texas, and their ranks.  

They’ll need to use a pretty small font to fit that on the inside of their Texas Bowl rings, but they’ll figure out how to make it happen.

My FIL is an aggy back from the days when they didn't have women.  50% of the time he sees me he mentions that Texas is a girls school.  I guess because they didn't have girls.  Not sure.  Anyway.
He called me after their bowl game this year to let me know that Jimbo wasn't trying to beat the point spread.  I found that to be some next level aggy shit.

Is this your FIL?

5b1c3a858efe4e15dfb204827ebc4aef.jpg

12 hours ago, utee94 said:

I purposefully omitted veterinary medicine since I was focusing more on undergrad.  But, good point on the meat-judging.  Except, isn't even Tech superior to them, at that?

to be fair, Tech is kind of the GOAT of meat judging, from March 2019 article (really interesting read: https://www.si.com/more-sports/2019/05/10/collegiate-meat-judging-big-12-texas-tech-mark-miller-taylor-schertz)

Today the Red Raiders are the Alabama football of the meat judging world. Under the guidance of Coach Miller, Texas Tech has reset the standards of collegiate meat judging excellence. Tech has captured seven of the last 11 national championships, highlighted by a three-year stretch from 2015 through ’17 in which it won a staggering 19 of 21 major contests. The crown jewel came in ’17, when Tech became the first and only school to go undefeated since the major schedule expanded to seven events in 1981. Says Travis O’Quinn, a Tech alum who’s now the coach and faculty sponsor of Kansas State’s meat judging team, “What they’ve done ranks right up there with the John Wooden UCLA Bruins. That level of dominance is seldom seen in any athletic competition.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

to be fair, Tech is kind of the GOAT of meat judging, from March 2019 article (really interesting read: https://www.si.com/more-sports/2019/05/10/collegiate-meat-judging-big-12-texas-tech-mark-miller-taylor-schertz)

Thanks for the info and link. I just assumed meat judging to be something aggy would be superior at with their highly ranked vet school. Good to see Tech just broke ground on their own to compete with aggy. Farmers west of the Brazos rejoice!

https://www.ttuvetmed.com/

15 hours ago, Hozz said:

My ex FIL was a die hard aggy corps turd.  Every time I saw him he would tell me that if they found out you were a queer at aggy they cut off your middle two fingers and sent you to Austin.  The world is a better place now that he's gone.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My ex FIL was a die hard aggy corps turd.  Every time I saw him he would tell me that if they found out you were a queer at aggy they cut off your middle two fingers and sent you to Austin.  The world is a better place now that he's gone.

i don't understand this part?

On 1/14/2020 at 7:59 AM, Leanderman said:

If that had been me with the bad Santa, I would have had the wife take the kids to the car. Then thrown a shit fit so bad, the manager of the place would have been called. After my threats of contacting the media about the gomers actions, we might have seen how long he would have stayed employed? You their claim of being the "Flagship University" can only get you a part time gig as Santa?

The power of The Aggie Network.

53 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Hard to take him too seriously when his daughter ended up on the pole, huh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

One of the truly sad things about the "aggy experience" that that being an aggy means one's behaviors, attitudes, beliefs, and actions are largely pre-defined. Being a minority, liberal, gay, free-thinker, or any number of attributes not only isn't accepted while enrolled at Texas A&M, it is disdained by aggys even later in life. Their "once an aggy, always an aggy" mantra doesn't allow them to change and grow as they go through life, or to examine their own beliefs as they go through different phases of life.

Part of a quality education is understanding how others think, solve problems, and grow as individuals as they make their way through life. The ethos of aggy culture results in grown adults who still think and act like stunted adolescents, who can't apply the lessons of life to how they view the world, and who lack any semblance of an interesting personality.

Texas A&M truly does produce some of the most meaningless individuals any of us will meet in our lifetime.

49 minutes ago, NoName said:

i don't understand this part?

Hold you your middle two fingers down with your thumb and extend your pinkie and index finger.  Look familiar?

27 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Hard to take him too seriously when his daughter ended up on the pole, huh?

This was first ex (high school sweetheart),  The second ex (pole dancer) never met her father.  Go figure.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Hold you your middle two fingers down with your thumb and extend your pinkie and index finger.  Look familiar?

This was first ex (high school sweetheart),  The second ex (pole dancer) never met her father.  Go figure.

I'm gonna guess you reminded her of him though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My wife’s uncle was pre-WW2 Aggie (yes, Aggie... not aggy) and was in the band.. He never gave me any shit or even used the sip term. In fact we never exchanged any thoughts about the old ”rivalry”, such as it was(n’t) in the 1960s & 1970s.

He was a good man, although homophobic - his brother was gay and living with another man.

33 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

My wife’s uncle was pre-WW2 Aggie (yes, Aggie... not aggy) and was in the band.. He never gave me any shit or even used the sip term. In fact we never exchanged any thoughts about the old ”rivalry”, such as it was(n’t) in the 1960s & 1970s.

Difference was that he had actually seen his team win a football national championship. Today's aggy never has and never will.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You only have one middle finger per hand. The ring finger is between the middle finger and small finger. Fun facts. 

11 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

One of the truly sad things about the "aggy experience" that that being an aggy means one's behaviors, attitudes, beliefs, and actions are largely pre-defined. Being a minority, liberal, gay, free-thinker, or any number of attributes not only isn't accepted while enrolled at Texas A&M, it is disdained by aggys even later in life. Their "once an aggy, always an aggy" mantra doesn't allow them to change and grow as they go through life, or to examine their own beliefs as they go through different phases of life.

Part of a quality education is understanding how others think, solve problems, and grow as individuals as they make their way through life. The ethos of aggy culture results in grown adults who still think and act like stunted adolescents, who can't apply the lessons of life to how they view the world, and who lack any semblance of an interesting personality.

Texas A&M truly does produce some of the most meaningless individuals any of us will meet in our lifetime.

They are cool with being gay.

giphy.gif

A couple of days ago an aggy co-worker was saying that all of the transfers and players leaving for the NFL were doing so because they could see that the incoming freshmen were going to pass them on the depth chart, so they, as good aggy, were getting out of the way for the betterment of the team.  Because they are good aggy and would do anything for dear old aggy.  So, it's not attrition, and it won't hurt them like it will Bama and LSU.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Armybrat said:

He was a good man, although homophobic - his brother was gay and living with another man.

Mrs Fidys grandfather was a milkman in 39 & 40.  I guess it was cool for him to see aggy only MNC in person, he was a total jackass though.  

/CSB At my BiLs HS graduation the valedictorian was giving a speech using a baseball analogy.  aggy grandfather was being extremely loud asking "who is this fool, and why is he talking about baseball?  I bet he can't do a handstand and whoop while he's doing it!"   He kept being loud and obnoxious, granted he was old as dirt and acting like an aggy.  

10 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

A couple of days ago an aggy co-worker was saying that all of the transfers and players leaving for the NFL were doing so because they could see that the incoming freshmen were going to pass them on the depth chart, so they, as good aggy, were getting out of the way for the betterment of the team.  Because they are good aggy and would do anything for dear old aggy.  So, it's not attrition, and it won't hurt them like it will Bama and LSU.

Except for the aggy part, I think The addition by subtraction part was some of the same shit was posted on our football board last offseason.

12 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Do they also realize that teams like Bama don't rebuild, they reload? Been doing it for over a decade now. While LSU is not on their level, they are not going to fall off the earth. And even them getting new players, they still will probably beat aggy. 

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Except for the aggy part, I think The addition by subtraction part was some of the same shit was posted on our football board last offseason.

Yep, that crossed my mind, too.

ETA for Vic - aggy understand reality?  That would be a first.

Edited by Scheiss Meister

13 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Every time I saw him he would tell me that if they found out you were a queer at aggy they cut off your middle two fingers and sent you to Austin.

This made me laugh.  Don’t even care.  “New Army” doesn’t have anything this clever.  

Edited by fattyflattie

10 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

If their entire o-line isn't attritting and being replaced with players about 100x better, then they're still in major trouble.