Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

Man, we were at beavers bend when that game was played. Every damn time I checked the score, aggy was getting more of a lead. I think we turned it off of espn. I checked that night to see how bad UCLA got clowned and I’ll be damned, aggy did aggy things and it was great.

• Like 1

• Replies 71.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

On 3/28/2020 at 9:04 AM, Randolph Duke said:

For the 2018-2019 school year, UT Austin received $54,880 per student (FTSE). 28.7% as appropriations from the state, 33.8% self-funded from institutional resources, 19.3% from the feds, and 18.9% from tuition. (A&M received $31,417 per student, 32.4% from state appropriations, 26.7% self-funded from institutional resources, 8.4% from the feds, and 32.8% from tuition).

One thing people forget about when considering direct state appropriations is the university lands. Last year, university lands contributed well over $1B to the endowment. Just that one year's contribution to the endowment is equivalent to the entire endowment of Arky, UGA, NC State, or Univ of Tennessee. Just since 2010, the endowment contributions from UT lands have exceeded the entire endowments of Rice, USC, or UVa, and if a separate endowment would rank in the Top 20 of all universities in the nation, not just public universities.

Add state appropriations and funding from institutional resources and one gets 62.5% from state resources for UT Austin, and 59.1% for A&M. Neither UT Austin, nor A&M can easily complain they are not being well funded by the people of Texas. I need to look at the recent numbers, but even giving UT's agricultural branch college credit for 1/3 of the PUF, I'm fairly sure the endowment of UT's agricultural branch college still exceeds that of all other 15 S!E!C! members combined, and UT Austin's endowment exceeds the combined endowments of the other 15 S!E!C! member institutions, plus A&M.

It would be nice if there was a way to allocate more AUF money as excellence funding, rather than for facilities, but that is a discussion for another day.

State appropriations funding for Texas State in San Marcos was $9,957 on a total FTSE funding of $24,282 (39.4%).

THECB 2019 UT almanac.jpeg

overall state funding for UT and aggy is a higher % than I would have thought, but a couple of things

I think you made a mistake on the % for Texas State I think it would be 41%

I do not think you should count the full "university funds" as state appropriations for UT or aggy because a large % of that is probably from the private endowment and this is not "state funding" per say from general tax revenues or the PUF/AUF

I think Texas State is not the right university to use as a comparison to UT and aggy specifically....they are a large state school, but until recently they offered almost no PhD. or Doctoral programs and they have a very large % of undergrad enrollment even with a decent amount of Masters programs offered.....they also until very recently offered no engineering programs at all

Because of the way formula funding works with a higher rate for Masters and Doctoral students and a higher rate for professional and STEM programs (even at the undergrad level) that skews the state funding levels in favor of UT and aggy with large STEM programs and large graduate and professional enrollments (UT being much larger as a % than aggy).....a better comparison would be Texas Tech or UH instead of Texas State

Lastly I will add as always that the way UT reports the endowment numbers and the lack of overall clear transparency with the PUF/AUF and what it does and does not fund (the info is out there, but hard to find) really fucks UT in terms of people thinking that UT is "rich" and "wasting tons of state dollars" and leads to idiots like khator at UH always trying to push legislation to bust up the PUF or otherwise get money taken from UT and given to others (especially UH) instead of simply lobbying for more higher education funding overall like an intelligent person would do

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Like 1

Calling it now: we're going to get an 8-game college football season, no post-season, two cupcake out-of-conference games, six conference games, A&M won't play Alabama, they'll beat 5-3 LSU in a ridiculous slopfest kind of game to finish 8-0 and ranked 7th behind unbeaten Clemson, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, and Oregon, and bingo. "WE'S THE 2020 NATIONAL CHAMPS"

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Calling it now: we're going to get an 8-game college football season, no post-season, two cupcake out-of-conference games, six conference games, A&M won't play Alabama, they'll beat 5-3 LSU in a ridiculous slopfest kind of game to finish 8-0 and ranked 7th behind unbeaten Clemson, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, and Oregon, and bingo. "WE'S THE 2020 NATIONAL CHAMPS"

On 3/26/2020 at 4:08 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

Aggy is in favor of a modified season:

Vs ACU

Vs North Texas 

Vs Fresno

Vs SHSU

Arkysaw

Vs PVAMU

Vs Vandegriftrbilt  

7-0 And Jimbo can fill in the rest of his plaque 

spacer.png

very similar to something I posted in the 2020 season thread...and they've already got the plaque mostly ready

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

Saw this on aggieland outfitters.... why?...

51ee4291daecd89e048821a35b5f4738.jpg

I bet they went to a physical retail store and browsed the isles along with thousands of other aggy faithful to touch, move, caress and finally buy this shirt.   Doing their part the aggy way!

Because the aggys make such a huge deal of being a “research powerhouse” I decided to look at the A&M System FY 2020 budget and run the numbers myself. And before I get going, yes, this is going up on aggypedia.

In John Sharp’s official biography, he touts “As Chancellor, Sharp leads one of the nation’s largest systems with an annual budget of $6.3 billion. Enrollment at the A&M System’s 11 universities has grown to more than 151,000 and externally funded research expenditures are in excess of $1 billion.” https://chancellor.tamus.edu/about/biography/

“In excess of $1B” is a lot of research money (especially in light of such little of value that results from those expenditures), so I ran the A&M System FY2020 research numbers for myself. The data is available here: https://www.tamus.edu/assets/files/budgets-acct/pdf/Executive Budget Summary/FY2020/FY2020ExecutiveBudgetSummary.pdf

In the latest Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Almanac (http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/DocFetch.cfm?DocID=12371&Format=PDF), Texas A&M College Station claimed about $777 million in research expenditures for FY2019.

The reality of the vaunted Texas A&M research “juggernaut” has been slowing materially recently, suffering back-to-back annual declines in research expenditures, from $821 million in FY2018 to $735 million in FY2019, to $730 million in FY2020. These figures are for the entire TAMU System. research expenditures for the UT System for FY2020 were $2.6B.

Remember, in the THECB Almanac, the aggys claim Texas A&M College Station campus alone had almost $777 million in research expenditures in FY2019. Yet, in their official budget, they acknowledge only $735 million in such expenditures for the entire TAMU System for FY2019.

Looks like (yet again) the aggys are using their famous “redneck accounting.” In fact, they are lying to the public about their actual academic research expenditures.

For FY2020, the entire Texas A&M University System had budgeted $296 million in academic-related research expenditures. Similar expenditures for the UT System for FY2020 were $938 million. It is the eight state supported, non-academic agencies where most of the research happens within the A&M System.

For FY2020, TAMU College Station campus budgeted just $111 million in research expenditures. For UT Austin, that number was $522 million, more than four-and-a-half times that for A&M College Station, the supposed “research powerhouse.” In reality, UT Austin conducts more in critical military-related research than Texas A&M College Station conducts in total academic research. The vaunted A&M Health Science Center had only $82 million in budgeted research for FY2020. The UT health system components budgeted over $1.6B in such expenditures for FY2020.

The actual research John Sharp and his redneck ilk boast about happening on the College Station campus occurs not within the academic functions of the school, but within the state-supported agencies included in the A&M system. Yes, the vast majority of research the aggys falsely claim to be happening on the College Station campus is related to A&M’s core trade-school mission. Texas Agrilife - $194 million, Forest Service - $2.4 million, Vet Diagnostic Lab - $300k, Engineering Experiment Station - $166 million, Texas Transportation Institute - $70 million. Total academic research - $296 million. Total state agency research expenditures - $434 million. Total combined research budgets for FY2020 - $730 million which, for the mathematically challenged aggys, is not "in excess of $1B."

So there you have it. John Sharp claims “research expenditures are in excess of $1 billion.” Converting that $1B from redneck accounting to generally accepted accounting standards, and the A&M System flagship school actually accounts for $111 million in such expenditures, an amount far less than UT Dallas, and just $3 million more than UT San Antonio.

The reality is that the ags keep being propped up by the state by the addition of trade-school activities or completely non-academic agencies to the A&M System. The total FY2020 operating budget of the entire 150,000 student A&M academic system is just $3.5 billion, which is about the same as UT Austin spends to educate roughly 50,000 students.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Forget this year, next year is easier with more wins!

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3103864

The advantage aggy has versus other schools is it that it gives them an additional year to prepare for 2021. Also, aggy will have the big advantage of having players healthy and possibly more players to choose from/larger team (than other teams) if NCAA gives another year of eligibility to aggy 2020 seniors.

Advantage (big time) aggy.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

The advantage aggy has versus other schools is it that it gives them an additional year to prepare for 2021. Also, aggy will have the big advantage of having players healthy and possibly more players to choose from/larger team (than other teams) if NCAA gives another year of eligibility to aggy 2020 seniors.

Advantage (big time) aggy.

Still gonna finish 3rd in the sec west and end up in the Music City Bowl. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Aggy wedding...... thank god I didn’t have to attend this. Been dragged to an aggy wedding before and they are mind numbing. I lost brain cells at the reception. Pretty sure anyone else at this weeding who isn’t aggy drank themselves to deal with the aggy idiocy.

Spoiler

ef7fa3639a995971b1a983579938e460.jpg

When I got married, I told my wife the only color she couldn't pick was maroon or any color that was close to Aggie Maroon (TM) 

• Like 1

I went to church with one of the College Station deceased. Didn't know her well, but it definitely makes an impression, having a personal connection to this crisis. It sometimes seems like it's all just noise, but no, it's real.

That won't stop aggy from making asses of themselves, of course. Only aggy could take a global emergency and make it about themselves.

On 4/2/2020 at 9:21 AM, Longboard Horn said:

Aggy wedding...... thank god I didn’t have to attend this. Been dragged to an aggy wedding before and they are mind numbing. I lost brain cells at the reception. Pretty sure anyone else at this weeding who isn’t aggy drank themselves to deal with the aggy idiocy.

ef7fa3639a995971b1a983579938e460.jpg
174a2730df309b31e95f233476de5737.jpg

Jeez, is the thing in the red dress wearing boots?

COVID-19 has to be making aggies everywhere excited.  They are looking at an undefeated 2020 season, and they already have the national championship plaque made!

If it plays out like this they better get their stadium ready for some new championships!

Date           Result. At        Opponent              Location                   

Apr 18 (Sat)   CANCELLED   Home      Maroon & White Game   College Station (Kyle Field)                           canceled

Sep 5 (Sat)    CANCELLED    Home      Abilene Christian     College Station (Kyle Field)                                   

Sep 12 (Sat)   CANCELLED    Home      North Texas           College Station (Kyle Field)                                   

Sep 19 (Sat)   CANCELLED    Home      Colorado              College Station (Kyle Field)                                   

Sep 26 (Sat)   CANCELLED    Neutral   Arkansas              Arlington, Texas (AT&T Stadium)                                

Oct 3 (Sat)    CANCELLED    Away      Mississippi State     Starkville, Miss. (Davis-Wade Stadium)                         

Oct 10 (Sat)   CANCELLED    Home      Fresno State          College Station (Kyle Field)                                   

Oct 17 (Sat)   CANCELLED    Away      Auburn                Auburn, Ala. (Jordan-Hare Stadium)                             

Oct 24 (Sat)   CANCELLED    Away      South Carolina        Columbia, S.C. (Williams-Brice Stadium)                        

Nov 7 (Sat)    CANCELLED    Home      Ole Miss              College Station (Kyle Field)                                   

Nov 14 (Sat)   CANCELLED    Home      Vanderbilt            College Station (Kyle Field)                                   

Nov 21 (Sat)   CANCELLED    Away      Alabama               Tuscaloosa, Ala. (Bryant-Denny Stadium)                        

Nov 28 (Sat)   CANCELLED    Home      LSU         

SHOW ME A LOSS!!

COVID-19 has to be making aggies everywhere excited.  They are looking at an undefeated 2020 season, and they already have the national championship plaque made!
If it plays out like this they better get their stadium ready for some new championships!
Date           Result. At        Opponent              Location                   Apr 18 (Sat)   CANCELLED   Home      Maroon & White Game   College Station (Kyle Field)                           canceledSep 5 (Sat)    CANCELLED    Home      Abilene Christian     College Station (Kyle Field)                                   Sep 12 (Sat)   CANCELLED    Home      North Texas           College Station (Kyle Field)                                   Sep 19 (Sat)   CANCELLED    Home      Colorado              College Station (Kyle Field)                                   Sep 26 (Sat)   CANCELLED    Neutral   Arkansas              Arlington, Texas (AT&T Stadium)                                Oct 3 (Sat)    CANCELLED    Away      Mississippi State     Starkville, Miss. (Davis-Wade Stadium)                         Oct 10 (Sat)   CANCELLED    Home      Fresno State          College Station (Kyle Field)                                   Oct 17 (Sat)   CANCELLED    Away      Auburn                Auburn, Ala. (Jordan-Hare Stadium)                             Oct 24 (Sat)   CANCELLED    Away      South Carolina        Columbia, S.C. (Williams-Brice Stadium)                        Nov 7 (Sat)    CANCELLED    Home      Ole Miss              College Station (Kyle Field)                                   Nov 14 (Sat)   CANCELLED    Home      Vanderbilt            College Station (Kyle Field)                                   Nov 21 (Sat)   CANCELLED    Away      Alabama               Tuscaloosa, Ala. (Bryant-Denny Stadium)                        Nov 28 (Sat)   CANCELLED    Home      LSU         

SHOW ME A LOSS!!

Looking at that schedule and seeing their first away game is in October, I was curious as to how many away games they have played in september since joining the sec. So including the above 2020 schedule that would be 9 seasons. How many true away games in that time frame?

Six.