Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

I tell you, College Station is just a magnet for intellectual capital. Nothing slips past those geniuses.

Shorter A&M football season predicted to impact local hotel industry

Economists tell KBTX a reduced football season with fewer fans could have a negative impact on hotels in Bryan/College Station

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/08/12/shorter-am-football-season-predicted-to-impact-local-hotel-industry/

• Hook 'Em 3

• Replies 71.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

On 8/11/2020 at 9:27 PM, atomheartbevo said:

He's probably got a lot of TexAgs expenses that could go in the shitter with a lack of football.  He's probably shitting sheep.

You just know Luigi will try and apply for some sweet covid relief.

sheepshitting is his fetish.  don't judge him.  it hurts, even a reasonably small sheep still ruptures the sphincter, but by god, he can birth that sheep AND fill a jar at the same time.

as far as relief, he already did that, wherein we discovered he has somewhere between 17 and 27 employees.  for a discussion board.

13 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

saw a friend I hadn't seen in awhile the other day. i asked about his son that did his 2 years at Blinndergarten and said he will start this fall at A&M

Corpus

Wow.  So the kid couldn't pull a 2.5 at Blinn?  Sounds like he should be going to truck driving school.  Actually, that's an insult to our fine teamsters.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Who drinks RC Cola?

I've been known to drink a few when I was growing up...in fact, we would put some salted peanuts in the bottle and have a great treat...then return the bottle to get my 5 cents back....collect 6 bottle tops to go to the Saturday morning movies and see a double-feature.   Now...those were the good old days.  Gotta go find me another RC cola now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I've been known to drink a few when I was growing up...in fact, we would put some salted peanuts in the bottle and have a great treat...then return the bottle to get my 5 cents back....collect 6 bottle tops to go to the Saturday morning movies and see a double-feature.   Now...those were the good old days.  Gotta go find me another RC cola now.

did the "talkies" cost extra?

4 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I assume the 88 in your username represents your age. 

Is he saying aggy is shit? or the uniforms are shit? or something else is shit?

Both.... and he’s right!

Seems like he’s gonna be a cancer. Here’s to a short and tumultuous stint in CS before declaring or portaling out. Yelling at coaches on the side line, heading to the locker early kinda stuff. Fingers crossed.

Aggy AD on budget cuts

Texas A&M athletic director Ross Bjork is in the business of college football and he appeared on ESPN broadcaster Marty Smith's podcast to discuss the economic aspects of what he and other athletic directors are facing across the college sports landscape.

Bjork tried to put some perspective on the economics of college football, noting that the money paid in from the sport was the only way that schools could create opportunities for student-athletes because A&M does not receive subsidies from other sources such as the state of Texas. 

"It gets reported that we had a $212 million budget in the latest public reports that's off of fiscal year 2019," Bjork said, "and that's a little bit inflated in terms of what we operate on because it included some debt service for Kyle Field. Our normal operating budget...we're in the $165 to $170 million operating budget to pay the bills, to pay the scholarships, those sort of things.

"Football alone makes up about $110 million alone of that budget and so there's really no formula that if you don't have football how do you make that up? I don't have a binder with me, in my desk Marty, that says here's the plan, the blueprint, for making it up. It's monumental. It could be catastrophic. That's the sheer numbers."

Bjork has already had to adjust that budget based on the fact that the Aggies' nonconference schedule of four home games would not be played. Although one of the lost games will be offset by moving the game with Arkansas from AT&T Stadium in Arlington to College Station, it's far from enough to compensate A&M for the revenues lost of not playing the other three contests."

"We knew that there would be an impact of not playing the seven games,"he said. "We knew we would be playing here at Kyle Field. We took our normal operating budget and reduced it by about $16 million (already reported by Bjork). We knew that we wouldn't sell as many tickets, that we wouldn't have as many sponsors, our licensing revenue is down, we just protected ourselves.

"Well now, that we're only playing five football games based on out current scheduling model, that's going to be another $12 to $20 million reduction on top of the $16 million. We'll save some money, we'll save some expenses, but you're talking about real numbers, livelihoods, laying people off, reducing salaries. We've been spared that so far even with the $16 million reduction. We haven't had any salary reductions or lay anyone off or furlough anyone. Going into this next phase, those things have to be on the table."

And even then, that's not the worst case scenario. Bjork indicated that football and men's basketball bring in positive cash flows but otherwise as he put it, "football drives it".

"Then, if you don't play, then it becomes catastrophic where we're just trying to do all of the right things to protect our players, public health, and be able to operate in all of this," he said.

In fact, the athletic department is not the only one with livelihoods at stake given the lack of football either. Bjork notes that it's a burden that he shares even if he is not directly responsible for it. 

"It's the economic driver and then it drives the local economy," he said. "I talk to local business and hotel owner and they're all going 'Ross, keep fighting. We need football"

3 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Double the admission to the glory holes to raise money?

They could raise a shit ton by selling squares of their sacred grass.  You know there's Aggies out there they would brag.  "My whole lawn was propagated from a single square of fightin Texas Aggy memorial sod, man.  I tear up every time I look at it! "